Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA Draft Night For Gonzaga Players Rui, Clarke and Norvell. Let's celebrate THEM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Going to Memphis. I see a lot of lobs from Ja Morant in his future. Good luck to Rui and Brandon! I wish the Hornets would’ve taken one of you!

I see a lot of dry rub ribs in his future too!

Love it, congrats to Brandon and Rui!

https://deadspin.com/the-wizards-sti...T_wXKoGP3UspqU

The Washington Wizards selected Gonzaga big man Rui Hachimura with the No. 9 pick in NBA Draft. The pick was a bit of a surprise given that there hadn’t been any reports of any connections between that franchise and their eventual draftee. As it turns out, that surprise extended all the way to the player as well.

Memphis is a good franchise with minutes available. They moved up to grab Brandon, which means they like him a lot (or they hate the Celtics). The spotlight will be on Ja, which allows Clarke to do his thing. It's a great match IMO.

Congrats to the both of them! Interesting to think about Ja Morant and BC - could help with them coming in together to develop a great bond on the playing court (and perhaps not as much pressure on Brandon because Ja will receive most of the attention).

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Memphis is a good franchise with minutes available. They moved up to grab Brandon, which means they like him a lot (or they hate the Celtics). The spotlight will be on Ja, which allows Clarke to do his thing. It's a great match IMO.
    Ja Morant is known for his ability and propensity for throwing alley oops, in pick n roll, or even from half court. Match made in heaven as he will love Clarke's natural ability to roll to the hoop, and finish.

As I posted months ago, he reminds me a ton of Perkins. To me, Ja is simply a more athletic, explosive Josh Perkins. Their games are very similar.

Imagine if Perkins could thrown down windmill slams, oops from teammates, or put back jams...that's Ja Morant.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Ja Morant is known for his ability and propensity for throwing alley oops, in pick n roll, or even from half court. Match made in heaven as he will love Clarke's natural ability to roll to the hoop, and finish.

As I posted months ago, he reminds me a ton of Perkins. To me, Ja is simply a more athletic, explosive Josh Perkins. Their games are very similar.

Imagine if Perkins could thrown down windmill slams, oops from teammates, or put back jams...that's Ja Morant.
    Less of a defensive liability against elite athletes as well. Morant could end up leading the league in assists.

A very fun first round. Great for for the Zags. This will really help our recruiting. Good luck to both guys. And thanks for the great memories that you both have left behind. You both represent Gonzaga basketball and university really well.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    C'ome on Boston. Pick Brandon. Nope! They pick Thybulle from the UW.
    I love thybulles game, hands, nose for the ball, defensive stalwart, & high motor player yet dont view him as half the player as Brandon can be on BOTH ends, esp at NBA level. Thybulle is one of those players who are valuable yet never can take over when need be. Defense is important in the League yet not quite as difference making as in College. He can ball yet his impact was full court press defense and stealing the ball, blocking out of control guards, and rebounding. Pretty solid shooter yet not a dynamic offensive player.

Brandon nearly beat him out for DPOY anyway then what he can bring on offense as well. Above the rim. Better shot blocker quicker jumper, equal to better rebounder, and even more versatile defender.

Boston made a mistake imo

This doesn't fill me with good feelings regarding Hachimura's development...

A very fun first round. Great for for the Zags. This will really help our recruiting. Good luck to both guys. And thanks for the great memories that you both have left behind. You both represent Gonzaga basketball and university really well.

Go Zags!!!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Me neither.

No safe spaces in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No safe spaces in the NBA.
    True, but there are competent front offices & staff, just not in Washington

Eesh. That's not great. Happy for Rui, but umm... probably not the way to run a franchise.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    This WP column should provide a bit more optimism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.c16ac7ec2a9b

“He’s somebody we’ve watched for the last couple of years. He’s a late bloomer. We think he’s got potential to be a tremendous two-way player,” a jubilant Sheppard said after his first draft as the leader of the process.
    Several years back, when Hachimura first appeared in the Wizards’ scope, Sheppard was the team’s senior vice president of basketball operations with a keen eye on international prospects. Sheppard’s global experience dates back to his days in public relations when he worked as a press attache for the 1996, 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games.

As he moved into a front-office role with Washington, Sheppard often traveled overseas to take in EuroLeague and FIBA tournaments. Now Hachimura, who intends to be the face of basketball in Japan, becomes the Wizards’ latest international pick.

Brandon Clarke was Memphis' man. They REALLY wanted him, and traded up to get him. I heard from more than just the ESPN folks that Clarke was at the top of Memphis' draft board. And part of it probably has to do with what people are saying in this thread......the Morant to Clarke connection. The ability for those two to play off of each other. I really wanted Brandon, especially, to go to a team that really wanted him. Not just to a team that picked him because he's the most talented guy left on the board.

No one has mentioned it (I believe), but new assistant Roger Powell is with Coach Few at the draft tonight. I think he was the last guy to hug Clarke before he went to the stage.

More important than Rui landing at #9, to me, is the fact that Gonzaga got two players chosen in the 1st round for the first time ever. It's one thing to have one player in the ring, but to have multiple first rounders chosen is a great recruiting tool. That fact that Rui and Clarke were chosen so highly adds icing to the cake.

Let's hope that Norvell goes early in the 2nd round. I am not counting on it, but it would be great to see.

Memphis definitely two really good players. I'll be keeping my eyes on them. Great post from CDC, as usual. Thanks for the information. It's a nice add to a great story. Brandon is amazing. His story I think is fantastic for so many young basketball players. Show what hard work can do. I mean Brandon came out of nowhere kind of. I never expected to see what Brandon brought to the court at GU. His addition made Gonzaga a GREAT Zag team and will always remain one of the best ever, imo.

Go Zags!!!

I'm really looking forward to having fun watching that Morant to Clarke connection develop.

Why is the Rui going to Washington not good for him? I really don't know anything about Washington,.

Why is the Rui going to Washington not good for him? I really don't know anything about Washington,.
    The concern is that apparently Rui didn't work out for them or even speak to them a single time, and they don't currently have a GM. Basically, the concern isn't Rui, the concern is Washington's competence, or lack thereof.

They don't have a GM and big salary cap problems since all of their money is tied up in an injured supermaxed John Wall. No salary room means very little chances of improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    They don't have a GM and big salary cap problems since all of their money is tied up in an injured supermaxed John Wall. No salary room means very little chances of improving.
    Yeah, and the Wizards aren't moving into a new arena that will allow them to pay a bunch of luxury tax.

Can Zack come back to school at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Can Zack come back to school at this point?
    Has he hired an agent? Time is running out, 8 picks left, and no Zack.