Thread: Withers: Zags west-side story

Default Withers: Zags west-side story

We didn't want the guy anyway.

A part of the Zags Eastside story is that they have not been covered much..... until recently...... by the local news papers in Yakima, Tri Cities or Wenatchee......at that..... they do not have reporters covering Gonzaga..... they just print the articles from the wires or the Spokesman ….. but it is getting much better with new ownership in Wenatchee and Yakima...

The Seattle sports talk radio shows are populated with UW and WSU alums/supporters. They talk trash about the Zags on a regular basis.

But they can't beat us and they usually don't make to the NCAAA Tourney. Shrieks jealousy.

having lived in spokane over 43 years, and seattle for the last 8, it is more like this:
    you meet a stranger on a cruise ship from Delaware who is telling you passionately that their daughter in law has finally made the Olympic gymnastics team. And you say politely and with sincerity that you are impressed and really happy for them. And you are, and you know you will never see them again. Or hearing something like an South Carolina basketball team won the NIT. The indifference is palpable, even when the zags played in the national championship. Interest in Spokane equals interest in anywhere bought in the Louisianna Purchase. I don't think it is jealousy as much as off the radar. Talking about Spokane anything here elicits "Oh yeah" while listening politely and thinking (I almost forgot about Spokane ..... ).

I can wear a Gonzaga hat and anywhere I have been in the world...and .people will know about the basketball team and express a favorable opinion of it.....I was deep into the Wrangle St Elias National Park in Alaska at a very remote grass air field and the bush pilot had a Gonzaga hat on....

They have no idea where Spokane is....but Gonzaga Men's Basketball is a brand …...even if there is not actually a University associated with the team....

[QUOTE=They have no idea where Spokane is....but Gonzaga Men's Basketball is a brand …...even if there is not actually a University associated with the team....[/QUOTE]

Been to Alaska quite a lot and there is a connection to Spokane for some reason. Most are well aware of where it is from what I've seen. Everyone's a fisherman up there so maybe that has something to do with it.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!