Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Zach Norvell is hearing he will drafted somewhere between 20-40 in the NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Pointing out the new rules allow a player in ZN’s position to still return to school if they decide to do so does not mean anyone is arguing he should or should not go pro. I was just surprised to learn it remains an option for undrafted players who attend the combine.

Whatever ZN wants to do is what I will applaud him for and cheer for.
    I thought that rule change had to be wrong at first. But as I thought about it, it makes sense. It seems like it would protect a player who thinks he has a really good chance of being drafted and gets enough feedback from the NBA that he thinks he is going to be drafted. Getting invited to the combine seems like the part that thins the herd and shows who the real contenders for draft day are.

If you are delusional enough to stay in the draft after not getting invited to the combine, it is not the system that let you down. it is yourself and your closest advisors. It makes sense that this category of players wouldn't get to come back, because it would be tough on college programs to plan for the future if all of your players potentially can enter the draft and come back.

I just don't understand the belittling of Zach on this thread. The whole "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitudes. Wishing someone luck while in the same sentence saying we can replace you comes off a bit disingenuous at best.

The interviews I have seen of him have shown him offering nothing but praise and love for Spokane and Gonzaga. He is just ready to move on to the next phase in his life. Not sure why people just make the assumption he just wanted to get outta Dodge regardless of what happens in the draft. But to each his own... not going to say much else on the subject. Best of luck to Zach... nothing more... nothing less.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I just don't understand the belittling of Zach on this thread. The whole "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitudes. Wishing someone luck while in the same sentence saying we can replace you comes off a bit disingenuous at best.

The interviews I have seen of him have shown him offering nothing but praise and love for Spokane and Gonzaga. He is just ready to move on to the next phase in his life. Not sure why people just make the assumption he just wanted to get outta Dodge regardless of what happens in the draft. But to each his own... not going to say much else on the subject. Best of luck to Zach... nothing more... nothing less.
    Thank you! The negativity Jazz and others peddle on this board really gets discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Thank you! The negativity Jazz and others peddle on this board really gets discouraging.
    It gets old. It's nice having the "block" option on this board. Go Zags!

[...]

I wanted to reiterate the bolded portion.

He saw the roster this year turn over significantly with the departure of his long-time teammates Josh, Rui, Brandon, and Jones (and almost Tillie, also). His best opportunities at a Nation Championship are behind him, in my opinion. He is getting good feedback on the draft and seems to have a realistic chance of being drafted. His ability to improve this year and vault himself into Round 1 discussion next year is highly speculative. I would love to see him back, but only if he wants to be back. He did have the opportunity to show some leadership and playmaking, but maybe he just wants to be a shooting guard and doesn't want that responsibility and the scrutiny that comes with that. Maybe he wants to start making money and quit staying up all night cramming for tests or writing term papers. Whatever it is, I wish him well.

+1 Thank you, LIZF!

Thank you! I have questioned the loyalty of some members and wonder if they too are ‘one and dones’ themselves.
    "There is a time when panic is the appropriate response." Eugene Kleiner

I think my position is pretty well known here. In case there is any doubt, this picture should dispel how I feel about Zach.

Zach made my grandson feel like a king, couldn't have been nicer to us. The worst you'll get out of me is my opinion that he needs to improve his ball handling. He's got a very high basketball IQ, and he has a knack for making a play when it's needed most.

I took my sons (11y.o.) to the @ LMU game this past season. We hung around afterwards to greet players and try to get pics. My boys were a little timid - hemming and hawing, each trying to get the other to be the one to approach Zach to ask for a picture. Zach must have noticed this and went out of his way to walk straight over to my boys, leaned down to them and asked, "Can I get my picture with you guys?" A small gesture but one that was so authentic and kind - I was truly impressed and grateful. I can't remember how Zach played that night, but vividly remember this moment. I'll be rooting for Snacks wherever he goes!

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    I took my sons (11y.o.) to the @ LMU game this past season. We hung around afterwards to greet players and try to get pics. My boys were a little timid - hemming and hawing, each trying to get the other to be the one to approach Zach to ask for a picture. Zach must have noticed this and went out of his way to walk straight over to my boys, leaned down to them and asked, "Can I get my picture with you guys?" A small gesture but one that was so authentic and kind - I was truly impressed and grateful. I can't remember how Zach played that night, but vividly remember this moment. I'll be rooting for Snacks wherever he goes!
    That story says a lot about Zach, thanks for sharing.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

People always think they can do better and they are snobs. That’s not always how it works out. Norvell is great and will have a great career in NBA.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

We need Zach to make it in the NBA. Zags have morphed from Guard U to a premier developer of bog men over the past ten years.

I truly believe that Norvell is going to go in the 2nd round at some point. I think he's solidly in the 40-50 range from most of the "experts" that I find to be the most accurate. He certainly has skills to play at the NBA level, a modern day Microwave Johnson. I'm wishing all three guys the best in the draft.

"I just don't understand the belittling of Zach on this thread. The whole "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitudes. Wishing someone luck while in the same sentence saying we can replace you comes off a bit disingenuous at best." <--- LIZ

This is a bit far fetched and a fur distance from reality. What was written is 1. He could use an extra season or two to improve defense, ballhandling and consistency in shooting.
    2.You read quite a bit into the "don't let the door hit you......." comment. Nobody has said that. 3. The reality is that we will replace anyone who leaves via early departure or graduation.

Obviously we love the kids who come here and always wish them well. IN this case though, some opinions don't think he's ready. Let not be putting words into someone's mouth. And as always, don't be mind reading and depositing sinister thoughts in someone else's brain. The reason I'm typing this is because often LIZ later on will reference series of thoughts that are his own thoughts but attributed to someone else............but that needs to be checked. Clearly we wish our guys the very best. The pros will affirm or deny that any given player is ready for the "big leagues".

Yes, he’s expert at creating a narrative and tossing in comments of others to build on it. Worth ignoring, Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    "I just don't understand the belittling of Zach on this thread. The whole "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitudes. Wishing someone luck while in the same sentence saying we can replace you comes off a bit disingenuous at best." <--- LIZ

This is a bit far fetched and a fur distance from reality. What was written is 1. He could use an extra season or two to improve defense, ballhandling and consistency in shooting.
    2.You read quite a bit into the "don't let the door hit you......." comment. Nobody has said that. 3. The reality is that we will replace anyone who leaves via early departure or graduation.

Obviously we love the kids who come here and always wish them well. IN this case though, some opinions don't think he's ready. Let not be putting words into someone's mouth. And as always, don't be mind reading and depositing sinister thoughts in someone else's brain. The reason I'm typing this is because often LIZ later on will reference series of thoughts that are his own thoughts but attributed to someone else............but that needs to be checked. Clearly we wish our guys the very best. The pros will affirm or deny that any given player is ready for the "big leagues".

Abe and Jazz, will you two please give it up? The harping on LIZ is tiresome and juvenile bullying. If you can't offer news or something positive and worthwhile, why not give it a rest?

I think the point is that some people appear to take it personally when players decide to leave Gonzaga, for whatever reason, like they somehow owe us fans something. I've been very happy with what Zach has done for us, and he has and continues to speak highly of both Spokane and Gonzaga, but it seems clear that he's just ready to be done with the college life, and that's okay. Wishing him all the best in the NBA.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I can relate to Zach. Was slugging along in college myself waiting for the draft. It came in '72. I went #29.

Went back to school after my 2 year "career" was complete.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Abe and Jazz, will you two please give it up? The harping on LIZ is tiresome and juvenile bullying. If you can't offer news or something positive and worthwhile, why not give it a rest?
    No just clarifying. It's important to understand the implications. These don't go unchecked. The chirping is duly noted. MYOB Loves.
    This thread should be been blown up days ago as I recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I can relate to Zach. Was slugging along in college myself waiting for the draft. It came in '72. I went #29.

Went back to school after my 2 year "career" was complete.

Right on, 50. I ended up at north fort, fort Lewis; then Yakima firing center. Bit different world, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Right on, 50. I ended up at north fort, fort Lewis; then Yakima firing center. Bit different world, eh?
    I on the other hand... took a redshirt??? No... that analogy doesn't really work. I went 5 years because A) mom taught at GU so cost was minimal and B) just loved being at GU.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The point, I think, is that Zach is in a far better place than most Joe Colleges.

Sixers may draft Zach in the second round with pick 33, 34, 42 or 54 to replace the aging JJ Redick.
    Yes i believe he will be drafted.
    Best wishes to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Most of my spring breaks were spent at North Fort, for our annual 4 day Spring Camp. You could say I was like Cruiser...I joined ROTC to dodge the draft, which ended my freshman year IIRC.

I on the other hand... took a redshirt??? No... that analogy doesn't really work. I went 5 years because A) mom taught at GU so cost was minimal and B) just loved being at GU.
    My (our) Uncle wouldn't let me stay an extra year, though I loved my time at GU. It was an easy choice, the alternative would have been to enter the Army as a Spec 4. Even back then, the pay difference was substantial. lol, my base pay my first two years was the princely sum of $666 per month, pre-tax.