Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Zach Norvell is hearing he will drafted somewhere between 20-40 in the NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Why? He's too undersized to play the 5. Not athletic enough to play the 4, he would get roasted defensively. He can't shoot, like at all. He's just a really good low post college player. He can probably go play on the blocks in Europe at a fairly high level.
    My favorite Zag of all-time fits this mold..JP BATISTA!!!! Dude was a stud college post player
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    My favorite Zag of all-time fits this mold..JP BATISTA!!!! Dude was a stud college post player
    Did someone say JPtheBeasta?

The Laker World ��

@TheLakerWorld
    50m50 minutes ago
    More
    “John Stockton's son David Stockton (Gonzaga) will also join the LA Lakers summer league squad, a source told ESPN. Stockton played in Germany this past season and had cups of coffee in the NBA with the Kings and Jazz.”

Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    LA Lakers are starting to fill out their summer league roster with guards. Joe Young (Oregon) who averaged 36 ppg in China this past season, will be joined by Dakota Mathias (Purdue), who played in Spain.

CBS 4 hours ago. Six Undrafted Players Who Wil..........Zach is Back (with the Lakers)

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...ssing-on-them/

3. Zach Norvell Jr., Gonzaga
    team logo VIEW PROFILE Zach Norvell Jr.
    GONZAG • G • 23
    PPG
    RPG
    APG
    CBS Big Board rank: No. 45

Full disclosure: Many, myself included, thought Norvell would benefit from another year in college. But with a 6-foot-5 frame, a career 37 percent hit rate from 3 and a smoothness about his game that seemingly should be a perfect NBA fit as a role player, he was passed over by every single team.

The Athletic reported on Thursday that he'll be headed to the Lakers on a two-way deal. He has a real shot of being a more productive player than the prospect the team drafted at No. 46 overall: Talen Horton-Tucker. Good for the Lakers for snatching up major value -- not good for Norvell, who likely went into Thursday thinking he'd be an early second-rounder.

Hopefully this will inspire him to play hard and work hard to improve
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Hopefully this will inspire him to play hard and work hard to improve
    I'd assume he'd play hard and work hard to improve either way???

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    1) I have a serious question. Briefly, why do you think Zach didn't get drafted this year?

2) What mainly held Josh out of the draft?

Asking about Josh because SMC has Jordan Ford and with a good senior year I was wondering if he had any chance at the NBA draft? Likely long odds. He really is somewhat similar to Steph Curry with his 3 ball range and ability to drive.

Thanks for any thoughts on the above.

I posted before last season that I thought Ford had a chance to be about a third team AA. To some extent Ford reminds me of Isaiah Thomas of UW, a little guy with a knack for getting to the hoop and finishing over bigger players, though Ford isn't as strong or explosive as Thomas, who went 60th in the draft. I don't really follow the NBA, but I don't see Ford getting drafted due to his size and body type, which seem to matter more on that level than actual basketball skill, which Ford has in spades. One of my favorite players to watch.

The Celtics drafted a 5’10 and and 6’0 PG and and appear to be saying that they have already moved on from Kyrie Irving, who won’t return their phone calls. Maybe they will draft Ford next year to really drive the point home. Considering that they have Rozier, and drafted Thomas a few years ago, maybe the short PG thing is pathological for them.

Default JW3 still in mix with Lakers?

Maybe this was covered in another thread, but I haven't seen any comments on JW3's status with Lakers for '19-'20. I would think that his chances are good given that he meshed well last season when called upon and he has a low enough salary that to fit the profile of a role player the Lakers need to fill out their bench.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Why isn't the same approach used by everyone who isn't a top 40 or 50 pick?

Is there a reason that Perkins+agent chose this approach, but Nigel Williams-Goss didn't two years ago? (and obviously many many people didn't last night?)
    I like Perkins, and hope he catches on somewhere, but he wasn't on any draft board. I guess, how do we know his agent saying this meant anything? I can't see how it would. Teams have picks. If they like a player why would they not draft them because the player says I'd rather find my best landing spot? I get if you're choosing between two similar guys, one of whom wants to be in your organization and one of whom doesn't, you take the guy that wants to be there, but beyond that I would think a team takes who they like. Why would they be held hostage to an agent's wishes on a second round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I like Perkins, and hope he catches on somewhere, but he wasn't on any draft board. I guess, how do we know his agent saying this meant anything? I can't see how it would. Teams have picks. If they like a player why would they not draft them because the player says I'd rather find my best landing spot? I get if you're choosing between two similar guys, one of whom wants to be in your organization and one of whom doesn't, you take the guy that wants to be there, but beyond that I would think a team takes who they like. Why would they be held hostage to an agent's wishes on a second round pick?
    This adds to my theory that Perkins won’t get in his own way which is a great character attribute.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    It is because teams do not want to "waste" their pick. Once you cut one of your draft picks you no longer have any rights to that pick. Late 2nd round picks rarely make the team, so what teams are looking for at that point in the draft are guys that will sign a contract where, after they are released, they are stashed (either in the Gleague or in Europe) but the team keeps their rights while they develop.

If a player makes it known that if he gets cut in training camp he is going to try and find another NBA team or go to Europe on his own then it is a wasted pick by the NBA team.

In other words, teams don't want to draft a guy if they are pretty certain he wont make the 15 and wont sign a "draft and stash" deal.

Players don't want to get drafted by a particular team, when instead,they can go un-drafted and sign with a team where they have a better chance to make it.

Take JP for example. Kemba likely leaving as a FA, his back up T.Parker retired, and they only have one other pg on the roster on a guaranteed deal, and thats Devonte Graham on a NBA min contract. Pretty good situation for an undrafted pg to be in.

Zack has a two way contract with the Lakers...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Zack has a two way contract with the Lakers...
    Jonathan Williams re-signed today with the lakers for another year under a two way contract.. That means both of the Lakers two way roster slots are filled with Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post

In other words, teams don't want to draft a guy if they are pretty certain he wont make the 15 and wont sign a "draft and stash" deal.

Players don't want to get drafted by a particular team, when instead,they can go un-drafted and sign with a team where they have a better chance to make it.

Take JP for example. Kemba likely leaving as a FA, his back up T.Parker retired, and they only have one other pg on the roster on a guaranteed deal, and thats Devonte Graham on a NBA min contract. Pretty good situation for an undrafted pg to be in.
    Thank you for the additional explanation. That makes sense. Under any circumstances, it sounds like Perkins got himself in about as good a spot as he can. I'll be rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    It is because teams do not want to "waste" their pick. Once you cut one of your draft picks you no longer have any rights to that pick. Late 2nd round picks rarely make the team, so what teams are looking for at that point in the draft are guys that will sign a contract where, after they are released, they are stashed (either in the Gleague or in Europe) but the team keeps their rights while they develop.

If a player makes it known that if he gets cut in training camp he is going to try and find another NBA team or go to Europe on his own then it is a wasted pick by the NBA team.

Zag Nation has at least three players who were identified as "JP" on this board.
    JP = JP Batista
    JP = Jeremy Pargo
    JP = Josh Perkins

We have talked about Batista and Perkins on page 7 of this thread already. i know context usually allows the reader to figure it out, but it is a lot slower reading than Josh P, or some other clear designation of who we are talking about.
    In fact the two primary initials of past, rather than present, players can really send readers into a quiz slowdown. For example in recent years EM, AN,BW, DS, SM, all starters. Sure we can all [long term zag fanatics] slow down and tease these players out within a few seconds, but is that the goal of the writer? And what about the more casual reader ....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Zag Nation has at least three players who were identified as "JP" on this board.
    JP = JP Batista
    JP = Jeremy Pargo
    JP = Josh Perkins

We have talked about Batista and Perkins on page 7 of this thread already. i know context usually allows the reader to figure it out, but it is a lot slower reading than Josh P, or some other clear designation of who we are talking about.
    In fact the two primary initials of past, rather than present, players can really send readers into a quiz slowdown. For example in recent years EM, AN,BW, DS, SM, all starters. Sure we can all [long term zag fanatics] slow down and tease these players out within a few seconds, but is that the goal of the writer? And what about the more casual reader ....
    ....I cant tell if this is tongue in cheek or serious, but if it is serious...whoa.....you got some issues dude!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    JP = JP Batista
    JP = Jeremy Pargo
    JP = Josh Perkins

You could always use "Jenks!"

lol

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Etienne Catalan
    @EtienneCatalan
    ·
    4h
    Zach Norvell Jr. (
    @ZachN_23
    ) will wear No; 21 for the #Lakers. #NBA