Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Zach Norvell is hearing he will drafted somewhere between 20-40 in the NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Good for Zach. Since the Lakers traded away most of their bodies there's a good chance he will get called up this year.

Hell probably earn $100k to $200k this year, not too shabby.
    This is a great landing spot to be honest. They need 3&d guys to surround Lebron/AD. There will be lots of opportunity to challenge for a roster spot and if he can impress Lebron with that fearless mentality, he could be in.

Excited for him, go crush it Zach!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I also think some of his thinking was unrelated to basketball.
    I agree with this. I heard from a source inside the program he no longer had an appetite for class and studying. I think he was gone whether or not he got information that he would be drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Good for Zach. Since the Lakers traded away most of their bodies there's a good chance he will get called up this year.

Hell probably earn $100k to $200k this year, not too shabby.
    As someone said earlier, going undrafted was probably a much better outcome if you can get a 2-way contract. The Lakers have 5 players on their roster and could potentially be a great fit and a real chance to make the squad. Seemingly really good situation for Snacks.

joining a pretty big list:

The Lakers clearly love GU players when it comes to attitude, skill, education and maturity.

There is no way that the list of players above who got a chance - and Rob Sacre got more than a chance, believe he played a couple years.

It's not an accident or a bug, it's the feature that they clearly love Zags.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

...some of the comment in this thread are really uninformed in relation to Zorvell having made "a big mistake" by leaving school with eligibility remaining. Once the second round gets about 10 picks in, NO ONE, wants to get drafted unless they are assured of a two year deal with at least a year guaranteed at the NBA minimum. If a team cant assure a player of that then none of them want to be drafted because it means they have no leverage in terms of where they go and their best chance of getting a roster spot or a two way deal in the league.
    As an example, last night Perkins agent basically told all the GM's that called late in the draft, NOT to draft him in the later part of the second round so that they could pick the best landing spot....he has agreed to sign with Charlotte next week for over six figures to be on their summer roster and in their training camp.
    But back to Zach, he will make anywhere from 150-275K next year playing against pros, a lot better option for development than returning to Gonzaga and playing against college kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    ...some of the comment in this thread are really uninformed in relation to Zorvell having made "a big mistake" by leaving school with eligibility remaining. Once the second round gets about 10 picks in, NO ONE, wants to get drafted unless they are assured of a two year deal with at least a year guaranteed at the NBA minimum. If a team cant assure a player of that then none of them want to be drafted because it means they have no leverage in terms of where they go and their best chance of getting a roster spot or a two way deal in the league.
    As an example, last night Perkins agent basically told all the GM's that called late in the draft, NOT to draft him in the later part of the second round so that they could pick the best landing spot.... he has agreed to sign with Charlotte next week for over six figures to be on their summer roster and in their training camp.
    But back to Zach, he will make anywhere from 150-275K next year playing against pros, a lot better option for development than returning to Gonzaga and playing against college kids.
    Wow. That’s a lot of money just for summer league and training camp. Happy for JP!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Rob played for four years on the Lakers roster and for one year on their D League team.

Two-way contracts seem to be working out well for more and more NBA players these days. Zach looked ok when he was playing in the Combine games. He was getting some attention from the coach. I’m glad he got this offer so quickly.
    Parlez-vous français?

As an example, last night Perkins agent basically told all the GM's that called late in the draft, NOT to draft him in the later part of the second round so that they could pick the best landing spot....he has agreed to sign with Charlotte next week for over six figures to be on their summer roster and in their training camp.
    That’s more of a personal opinion that playing in the G league along with some limited time in the NBA is better than at GU for a full season. I disagree. Rui is making millions by being a first rounder and will get to play every day in the NBA. 150K is chump change and you can make that at an office job.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    That’s more of a personal opinion that playing in the G league along with some limited time in the NBA is better than at GU for a full season. I disagree. Rui is making millions by being a first rounder and will get to play every day in the NBA. 150K is chump change and you can make that at an office job.
    "Gonzaga alumni were estimated to earn average annual income of $52,800 a decade after graduation." https://www.spokanejournal.com/local...ending-school/

Maybe ZN would have been better off waiting for next year's draft to get a guaranteed contract, who knows. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather make $150K playing basketball than working at an office.

The key to catching more snipe is to stay at Gonzaga for another year...….

After a decade or so of working. I get your point... but G-league offers a more direct path to the NBA... worst case he can go overseas down the road and make good coin there. But another year at GU, may or may not have made much of a difference to his standing.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Which office job offers $150K right out of college?

Straight out of college, the only I can think of are big time investment banking jobs, and perhaps some engineering jobs.

Other than that, I can't possibly think of any, and if he gets it, it is not chump change bc he wasn't on the radar as someone coming out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Where are these $150k office jobs at? In any case, a 2 way deal can pay nearly $600k a year all told, depending on time spent at the NBA level amongst other things.

Maybe - if you like having an office job. Zach will make much more under a two-way contract and can always go overseas and make good money doing what he loves. More power to him. Congrats, Zach!

Absolutely an opinion on my part, but an opinion based on the fact that he will be able to play with and against better players, play the NBA style game, and be able to work out with some of the best player development folks in the world 24/7 without worrying about college classes and NBA restrictions on number of hours in the GYM.

Not sure what Rui's draft position has to do with Norvell though.....Norvell wasn't ever going to be a lottery pick.

Lastly, as to $150k being "chump change"....I would guess 99.9% of the 22 year old kids that graduate from Gonzaga wish they could get that chump change right out of school

A year at GU pre tax is worth over $100k. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Rob played for four years on the Lakers roster and for one year on their D League team.

Two-way contracts seem to be working out well for more and more NBA players these days. Zach looked ok when he was playing in the Combine games. He was getting some attention from the coach. I’m glad he got this offer so quickly.
    If I recall, he had the dubious honor of being the so-called Mr. Irrelevant that year, the last guy drafted in the 2nd round, but I could be wrong. He turned that into something good.

Absolutely an opinion on my part, but an opinion based on the fact that he will be able to play with and against better players, play the NBA style game, and be able to work out with some of the best player development folks in the world 24/7 without worrying about college classes and NBA restrictions on number of hours in the GYM.

Not sure what Rui's draft position has to do with Norvell though.....Norvell wasn't ever going to be a lottery pick.

Lastly, as to $150k being "chump change"....I would guess 99.9% of the 22 year old kids that graduate from Gonzaga wish they could get that chump change right out of school
    I mad eless than that after getting my Master’s degree and $1K of that went back out to pay for school loans. I would have taken $150K after 3 years of undergrad in a heartbeat.

The top 10% of US workers made $114,068 or more while the top 5% of workers made at least $153,420.

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    A year at GU pre tax is worth over $100k. Just saying
    What a year at GU is worth is not quantifiable, only it's cost. Its worth is based on what is done with it. Norvell made the decision to make money off of his basketball career at the expense of potential value in his chosen academic studies. Only time will tell if it was the right decision.

There are a lot of college grads, including in my family, that would sell their degrees in a heartbeat if they could get back the money and opportunity it cost them.

There still seems to be this major misconception about college: Going to college makes you smart.
    The truth is: College doesn't make you smart, smart people go to college.

There are these fantastic athletes that go to college to further their basketball careers and schools are happy to have them because of the huge revenue it generates. Yes some take what they learn and turn it into a career but for some, academics were never going to be part of their life. That's no more a tragedy than any of us not progressing past HS basketball.

Norvell is a man and made a decision. I don't feel bad for him in the least. If anything I'm envious because of the opportunities he has. He's going to be paid to play a game on a huge stage. Go ahead and second guess his decision (it's a internet forum after all) but understand that some of you who 'know what's best' for Zach just sound bitter because we need a guard next year*.

* This has nothing to do with Jazz

I helped coach a kid that eventually made it to the NBA. It's a name you would not recognize. He played parts of three seasons in the league and a couple years overseas. His public salaries amounted to a bit over a million dollars from his NBA experience. I don't know what he made overseas.

While in the league, he sent his entire paycheck to his mom to invest very conservatively and he lived off his per diem from road trips. After his playing days he stayed in the game as an assistant coach at the DIII level. He has never had to worry about a paycheck.

He worked his way up to assistant coach at a blue blood school and then pursued scouting at the professional level. He is now an Assistant GM for an NBA team.

The point is, one can set oneself up financially for life with the amount of money Zach might receive over the next 3-5 years. I hope he's smart enough to do that.

150k is chump change?
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    150k is chump change?
    I don't get out of bed for less than $200k.

But in all seriousness, $150k is great for a year round office job. This is to play a game, not that the training isn't intense, but I'm sure most of us would much rather do that than sit in front of a screen all day. Surprised by the $52k avg. salary 10 years out of Gonzaga. Like mentioned, a year of tuition room and board is like $80-$100k pre-tax, seems like a losing investment to get a solid ROIC on that degree.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    What a year at GU is worth is not quantifiable, only it's cost. Its worth is based on what is done with it. Norvell made the decision to make money off of his basketball career at the expense of potential value in his chosen academic studies. Only time will tell if it was the right decision.

There are a lot of college grads, including in my family, that would sell their degrees in a heartbeat if they could get back the money and opportunity it cost them.

There still seems to be this major misconception about college: Going to college makes you smart.
    The truth is: College doesn't make you smart, smart people go to college.

There are these fantastic athletes that go to college to further their basketball careers and schools are happy to have them because of the huge revenue it generates. Yes some take what they learn and turn it into a career but for some, academics were never going to be part of their life. That's no more a tragedy than any of us not progressing past HS basketball.

Norvell is a man and made a decision. I don't feel bad for him in the least. If anything I'm envious because of the opportunities he has. He's going to be paid to play a game on a huge stage. Go ahead and second guess his decision (it's a internet forum after all) but understand that some of you who 'know what's best' for Zach just sound bitter because we need a guard next year*.

* This has nothing to do with Jazz
    Tin, well put. No offense taken.