Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: UNC Vs Zags Wed Dec 18th

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    7,872

    Default UNC Vs Zags Wed Dec 18th

    Steven Karr


    @SKarrG0
    1h1 hour ago
    More Steven Karr Retweeted Jon Rothstein
    UNC at Gonzaga officially Wednesday December 18, when kids are on break.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,072

    Default

    Total sham. Just like their school
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Spokane, WA
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Totally ridiculous. Awful.

    That game deserves the students.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

    --Steve Prefontaine--

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    Totally ridiculous. Awful.

    That game deserves the students.
    Ridiculous.

    And a slap in the face to Kennel Club, student body, and even season ticket holders.

    Maybe I'm in the minority but the primary reason I paid $60K per year was to support our Gonzaga bball team, and have the opportunity to attend marquee games such as these in the Kennel....

    I went to GU because of the Zags. No joke. After that Sweet 16 run in 1999, I was a mega fan, jumped on bandwagon, and enrolled 2 yrs later, in 2001.

    And considering I lived 3 States away, i didnt have the choice to stick around another week to attend games during holiday break....nor should have I had to make that choice.

    We had a home and home agreement with them, either we folded to their request or simply an oversight.

    This is disappointing news and a major let down by Gonzaga...and UNC.

    I'm sorry current students, I'd be depressed and upset over a game we've waited THREE years to happen at the Kennel.

    Might as well move it to Spokane arena. Sheesh.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Don't like it one bit. Kennel Club should be able to show UNC what they have. But.....we did play UNC on Dec 15 last year. Not sure if their student body was on break for that one. Does anyone know?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagnut2012 View Post
    Don't like it one bit. Kennel Club should be able to show UNC what they have. But.....we did play UNC on Dec 15 last year. Not sure if their student body was on break for that one. Does anyone know?
    The game at UNC last year (12/15) was after their finals and when their students were on break.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    it's more chance for me to get a ticket... will drive from seattle to watch the game

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,603

    Default

    That's a shame.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    7,872

    Default

    UNC finals ended Dec 13th last year (Thursday)-- Game was on Saturday (15th).

    This year Gonzaga finals end Dec 13th (Friday) -- Game is on Tuesday (18th)--- (we are traveling to Arizona for a game on Saturday Dec 14th) ----too bad we could not have had it Saturday Dec 7th --that would have worked.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    UNC finals ended Dec 13th last year (Thursday)-- Game was on Saturday (15th).

    This year Gonzaga finals end Dec 13th (Friday) -- Game is on Tuesday (18th)--- (we are traveling to Arizona for a game on Saturday Dec 14th) ----too bad we could not have had it Saturday Dec 7th --that would have worked.
    12/7, isn't that the date for the game at Texas A&M?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Scheduling ain't easy. More tickets for sale for the locals, too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,869

    Default

    Let's fill the place. We make big noise. The ghosts of Gonzaga return to raise the roof!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,093

    Default

    The ACC is adopting a 20 game league schedule next season. I have to believe that played a part in this. Plus UNC is obligated to participate in several events like the CBS Sports Classic (always a Saturday afternoon game on CBS), and the ACC/B-10 Challenge. They will also be involved in the Bahamas tourney like Gonzaga. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if UNC asked that this game be their last non-conference game of the season.....that they don't want to be facing Gonzaga too close to the Bahamas tourney. I would imagine neither team wants to face each other 7 days after the Bahamas. It's a long flight from Chapel Hill to Spokane after a tourney in the Bahamas. It's why I felt for a period that they might delay the game a year and play it in 2020. I know GU and Tennessee played each other 2x in the same year in 2008/09. But game one was in November, and game 2 was in January.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    7,872

    Default

    They may play each other in the Bahamas tournament also.

    I have not seen the date for the A&M game-- it could be on the 7th.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,072

    Default

    each home game is when students are away,
    sounds fair to me ...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    Totally ridiculous. Awful.

    That game deserves the students.
    I was 99% sure it was going to go down like this.

    1. I doubt NC would have agreed to play in front of the students. They already play a ton of tough toad games in the ACC.

    2. GU will make a ton of cash.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post

    2. GU will make a ton of cash.
    How so?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    each home game is when students are away,
    sounds fair to me ...
    I agree. While is does seem unfair to both student bodies, this year and last, at least it is reciprocal.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    The game at UNC last year (12/15) was after their finals and when their students were on break.
    There were two student sections for the game. One was behind the GU bench and other was behind the UNC second half basket.
    ESPN drives the bus.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    6,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    There were two student sections for the game. One was behind the GU bench and other was behind the UNC second half basket.
    ESPN drives the bus.
    correct we had seats adjacent to the student section behind basket and they were crazy
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    12/7, isn't that the date for the game at Texas A&M?
    https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...54911283113989

    TX and TAMU are playing on 12/8.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    599

    Default

    - I seriously doubt that gu caved into any unc request, its just a matter of availability of dates and travel considerations
    - plus fair is fair, since their student body was on Christmas break as well.

    - gu student/fans get to see many games, I'm not going to lose sleep over them missing a marquee game a couple 2-3 times over 4 years.
    - the flip side is gu alum (myself) and gu fans (me again) have the opportunity to see a game. we count for something to the university as well.

    - I was glad to see no comments thus far about how with no kennel club it will hurt our chances of winning. that is not to say the kennel club isn't a boost to the team, we can all acknowledge the advantages of a loud supporting crowd. but I checked the teams win loss record for the past 10 seasons, home games from December 15 to January 15 (approximate yearly Christmas break), and that is 43-1.
    - the sole loss was to byu in 2015-16 season, a one point loss.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    How so?
    well, they'll be selling more tickets to the public, rather than giving them to students. and it seems logical to assume that those people will spend significantly more on concessions and souvenirs than the students would have.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ConnZag3 View Post
    Thanks!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - I seriously doubt that gu caved into any unc request, its just a matter of availability of dates and travel considerations
    - plus fair is fair, since their student body was on Christmas break as well.

    - gu student/fans get to see many games, I'm not going to lose sleep over them missing a marquee game a couple 2-3 times over 4 years.
    - the flip side is gu alum (myself) and gu fans (me again) have the opportunity to see a game. we count for something to the university as well.

    - I was glad to see no comments thus far about how with no kennel club it will hurt our chances of winning. that is not to say the kennel club isn't a boost to the team, we can all acknowledge the advantages of a loud supporting crowd. but I checked the teams win loss record for the past 10 seasons, home games from December 15 to January 15 (approximate yearly Christmas break), and that is 43-1.
    - the sole loss was to byu in 2015-16 season, a one point loss.
    And now check who those visiting teams were. I will be willing to bet there were a whole lot of San Jose/TX Southern/WCC types and not too many UNC types. The kennel club would definitely provide an advantage.

    I'm more disappointed that it isn't another Saturday game like we had at their place rather than a Wednesday evening/night game (although a later start time may also give GU a little advantage).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •