Thread: OT - Cal Coach Gottlieb Hired by Cavaliers

Default OT - Cal Coach Gottlieb Hired by Cavaliers

The Cleveland Cavaliers have hired CLF's good friend, University of California's head Wbb coach, Lindsey Gottlieb as an assistant coach.

From ESPN:

Cavaliers hire Cal women's coach Gottlieb to staff
    By Adrian Wojnarowski | Jun 12, 2019

In a landmark appointment for the NBA, the Cleveland Cavaliers have hired University of California-Berkeley women's coach Lindsay Gottlieb to be an assistant coach on John Beilein's staff, it was announced Wednesday.

Gottlieb -- a Final Four and seven-time NCAA tournament head coach for the Golden Bears -- is the first women's collegiate head coach recruited to an NBA staff.

Sources said Gottlieb, 41, will sign a four-year contract and is expected to play a prominent role in support of Beilein and associate head coach JB Bickerstaff. Commissioner Adam Silver has been determined for the league to welcome more women's coaches into its ranks, and Gottlieb's stature and coaching credentials are unprecedented among women's coaches in the NBA.

"I am very thankful, proud and excited to be joining the Cavaliers as an assistant coach," Gottlieb said in a statement issued by the team. "After meeting with [GM] Koby Altman, Coach Beilein and Coach Bickerstaff, I knew this was an organization I wanted to be a part of and a team I wanted to dedicate myself to. While this move provided a unique and special chance to move directly from Cal Berkeley and women's college basketball to the NBA, it was really about being part of building and growing something special and adding value to a team and organization that is focused on doing things in a way that I believe strongly in.

"The vision for the Cavs' future is compelling and I look forward to helping make it a reality. At the same time, on a personal level, I am honored to hopefully impact young girls and women to be empowered to pursue their own visions and to be inspired to turn them into reality as well."

Altman had been interested in pursuing a high-level women's college coach as part of the team's new staff. He identified and brought the idea to Beilein, sources said.

"The more we researched and got to know Lindsay, the more we came to understand that she would be an impactful part of where we want to go as a team," Altman said in a statement. "Coach Gottlieb brings a depth of basketball knowledge, leadership, perspective and approach to her craft that will fit very well with our team and staff alike. We're fortunate that she was willing to leave her role as head coach at such a solid and successful program at Cal."

Once Beilein met Gottlieb and discussed the ways that she could impact an NBA coaching staff and environment, Beilein became determined to recruit her to Cleveland, sources said. Cleveland reached a deal with Gottlieb and agent Bret Just of CAA late Tuesday night, sources said.

"I am excited to have a coach with Lindsay's experience as a part of the new coaching staff with the Cavaliers," Beilein said in a statement. "Lindsay truly values and embraces player development and a culture of winning basketball habits. Her success at Cal Berkeley speaks for itself and her insight in our meetings, practices and games will hold tremendous value.
    "After sitting with her, it was easy to see how she will connect quickly with our staff and our players, and we all benefit because of that connection. I'm looking forward to merging all of her years of experience and vision for the game with our current and future coaching staff."

Gottlieb advanced to seven NCAA tournaments in her eight seasons at Cal, including a trip to the 2013 Final Four. She constructed a 179-89 (.668) record and coached several future WNBA players. Prior to Cal, Gottlieb had a 56-39 record, including an NCAA bid, in three seasons as coach of University of California, Santa Barbara. She also has coached with national teams for USA Basketball.

Gottlieb is believed to be the eighth woman to share either an assistant coaching or player development role for an NBA team, but she joins the Cavaliers from the most prominent coaching perch of any of her predecessors -- a Power 5 college program with consistent Top 25 presence and a college salary believed to be the $700,000-plus range.

She is expected to have a level of staff prominence comparable to only two female coaching peers in the NBA: San Antonio's Becky Hammon and former Sacramento Kings assistant Nancy Lieberman.

Gottlieb has long had an intrigue with the NBA. She has been a regular visitor to Golden State Warriors practices as a guest of GM Bob Myers and coach Steve Kerr, and previously spent time at a LA Clippers training camp.

"I also want to thank Cal for what has been an amazing job, and really my home and family, for the better part of 15 years," Gottlieb said. "It is very difficult to say goodbye. The university leadership, the athletic department, my fellow coaches, staff and, most of all, our players have been wonderful and inspiring to work with. The program is in great shape and I have no doubt it will continue to have a high level of success."
    Article Link: http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...gottlieb-staff

A really nice video is included at the above link.

While this is a fantastic opportunity for Coach Gottlieb, it certainly is a big downer for the University of California, for the WCC and the Lady Zags. Coach Gottlieb frequently played several WCC teams during her OOC schedule and last year, brought her Lady Bears to Spokane for a scrimmage against the Lady Zags. Hopefully, the next Cal coach will be as quickly to see the benefit of playing the WCC Wbb teams and establishing close relationships with the WCC coaches.

Good Luck Coach Gottlieb,

ZagDad

Interesting hire to say the least. If the Cavs were looking to make a big statement by hiring a female assistant coach, I don't think Gottlieb is remotely close to being one of the most highly regarded.

Odd timing for Cal to be looking for a new coach. Most of the coaching shuffle started back in March or April.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Interesting hire to say the least. If the Cavs were looking to make a big statement by hiring a female assistant coach, I don't think Gottlieb is remotely close to being one of the most highly regarded.

Odd timing for Cal to be looking for a new coach. Most of the coaching shuffle started back in March or April.
    Cal WBB board has already mentioned Coach Fortier as a potential replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    And Rueck, which seems like a pipe dream to me. I can't think of a reason he would leave where he is to go to Cal.

When you have a very successful head coach at a mid-major university, you are always worried about an opening at a P-5/6 conference. Based on the list of salaries posted in the Tennessee coach thread, the P-5/6 coaches (in general) make considerably more than a mid-major head coach. In the article it was mentioned that Coach Gottlieb was making around $700,000 per year, which is likely significantly more than CLF is currently making.

Combine the increased salary that would come with the Cal job plus the location which would put her very close to her and her husband's college (Cal State - Monterey Bay) so she is very familiar with the area. Familiarity with the area could be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for in quality of life particularly with 3 young kids.

Fingers crossed, that these are just shots across the bow, once again.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    When you have a very successful head coach at a mid-major university, you are always worried about an opening at a P-5/6 conference. Based on the list of salaries posted in the Tennessee coach thread, the P-5/6 coaches (in general) make considerably more than a mid-major head coach. In the article it was mentioned that Coach Gottlieb was making around $700,000 per year, which is likely significantly more than CLF is currently making.

Combine the increased salary that would come with the Cal job plus the location which would put her very close to her and her husband's college (Cal State - Monterey Bay) so she is very familiar with the area. Familiarity with the area could be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for in quality of life particularly with 3 young kids.

Fingers crossed, that these are just shots across the bow, once again.

ZagDad
    It's just fans throwing out names up against a board and wondering if they will stick.

well it is about the money afterall......

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    And Rueck, which seems like a pipe dream to me. I can't think of a reason he would leave where he is to go to Cal.
    Shoot for the stars. At some point old tired Gill arena will need to be replaced or a massive remodel is needed to stay competitive. He may have reached a plateau now that the Pac-12 is much more competitive. The next two years is going to be crucial for him. His stock is high right now and CAL can pony up but your right it is unlikely. But he needs to at least keep his own AD honest and interview if asked for his own future financial leverage.

Shoot for the stars. At some point old tired Gill arena will need to be replaced or a massive remodel is needed to stay competitive. He may have reached a plateau now that the Pac-12 is much more competitive. The next two years is going to be crucial for him. His stock is high right now and CAL can pony up but your right it is unlikely. But he needs to at least keep his own AD honest and interview if asked for his own future financial leverage.
    Even if he has plateaued, is Cal really the place to go to reach a higher level? Their Athletic Dept. has been a mess for years by my understanding. They can't compete w/ Stanford or the LA schools when it comes to facilities or resources. Anyway with the recruits Rueck is starting to get I think he's going to be just fine staying put.

It may have been refurbished recently, it looks decent, but Haas is just about the oldest barn in the Pac 12 (circa 1933, Hec Ed goes back to '27).

Quote Originally Posted by Coug Tracks View Post
    It's just fans throwing out names up against a board and wondering if they will stick.
    Where there is smoke there is fire.

If board members are aware of CLF, you can bet that the Cal board of directors is well aware of her accomplishments.

Whether they are interested in her or if she would be interested in them is the question.

Sylean, money is usually not the only issue, but with enough money, many of the other issues may be able to be overcome. With CLF and Craig having gone to school in the area, they would be going into the area with their eyes wide open.

ZagDad

If board members are aware of CLF, you can bet that the Cal board of directors is well aware of her accomplishments.

Whether they are interested in her or if she would be interested in them is the question.

Sylean, money is usually not the only issue, but with enough money, many of the other issues may be able to be overcome. With CLF and Craig having gone to school in the area, they would be going into the area with their eyes wide open.

ZagDad
    Zagdad, Not to speak for Sylean about "it is all about money" but I think it was in reference to Graves.

Zagdad, Not to speak for Sylean about "it is all about money" but I think it was in reference to Graves.
    Yeah, I picked up on the barb.

However, with KG it wasn't all about the money either, he had two sons living in Oregon, so it allowed him to be closer to his kids. I can guarantee you that my wife would have told me we were moving if my kids were not living in Spokane and grandkids were coming, regardless of the financial impact. It is more important for her to be close to her kids and grandkids than it is about the money. I am sure this consideration is also prevalent in other families.

Money is not everything, (for student athletes and coaching staff) but some people on this board refuse to acknowledge that, particularly when it comes to GU basketball. It is not always about the Benjamins but they can play a major factor.

ZagDad

ZagDad
    I know nothing of course so it's just a feeling. I would see Fortier or Rueck passing on the Cal job if offered. If Stanford came calling sure but not Cal for a number of reasons. Of course money can always become a draw but I don't know what either coach is currently making at their jobs.

Jennifer Gross is signed through 23-24 but she seemed like an obvious target of the 3 I saw mentioned on a Cal board.

GU basketball is in a different place today then when KG was here...

Think of the changes at GU in just the last 5 years. Besides the recognition (thanks pretty much to the MBB), the new facility has moved GU BB to the next level. The coaching staff has some time at the university and the family recognition has been mentioned by every recruit. The networking and backing of the university has to be worth something.

So it comes down to the money.... and I would hope that LF and her staff are being paid at a level to be competitive with other schools of their level.

Sorry.... but for years the PAC 12 has been seen as better than everyone else on the west coast. But here comes GU and suddenly there is a private that is competing at their level.

There has been talk of the the Fortiers having some ties to the Cal area.... Bo Baldwin from Eastern is at Cal now. His family moved with him to the Bay Area and within about six months his family moved back to Cheney. It’s not all that great a place to raise a family... just saying.

With the record and experience CLF is getting, this will not be the last time her name is brought up. We can only hope that we have another coach like Mark that see’s the worth in GU.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    GU basketball is in a different place today then when KG was here...

Think of the changes at GU in just the last 5 years. Besides the recognition (thanks pretty much to the MBB), the new facility has moved GU BB to the next level. The coaching staff has some time at the university and the family recognition has been mentioned by every recruit. The networking and backing of the university has to be worth something.

So it comes down to the money.... and I would hope that LF and her staff are being paid at a level to be competitive with other schools of their level.

Sorry.... but for years the PAC 12 has been seen as better than everyone else on the west coast. But here comes GU and suddenly there is a private that is competing at their level.

There has been talk of the the Fortiers having some ties to the Cal area.... Bo Baldwin from Eastern is at Cal now. His family moved with him to the Bay Area and within about six months his family moved back to Cheney. It’s not all that great a place to raise a family... just saying.

With the record and experience CLF is getting, this will not be the last time her name is brought up. We can only hope that we have another coach like Mark that see’s the worth in GU.

Go Zags!!
    Agreed the GU is not in the same place today than it was 5 years ago, it is much better. The Gonzaga community supports the Zags (Mbb and Wbb) much better than the Mbb and Wbb are supported by the Cal community. Home attendance for Cal games averaged just under 2,900 fans per game. In Spokane, Gonzaga basketball dominates the sports landscape in the fall-winter-spring in Spokane. Cal basketball is just one of many sports options and it is nowhere near the top (think 49ers, Warriors, Sharks, not to mention Pac-12 football, Stanford basketball, USF and St. Mary's, etc.).

I obviously have no idea on what CLF is being paid, but I would be seriously surprised if she is paid anywhere near, the $700,000 Gottlieb was supposedly being paid at Cal. In the Tennessee coaching selection, the coaches being considered were at public institutions and their salaries were a matter of public record. The top salary for the mid-major coaches listed was around $450,000 while the salaries for the P5 coaches (with the exception of the NC State coach) averaged more than seven figures. I would expect that CLF is paid somewhere near the $450,000 level which, if she was paid the same as Coach Gottlieb, would result in a $250,000/year raise, nothing to sneeze at and certainly worth considering.

There is no doubt that living in the Bay area certainly has its challenges and it may not be someone's first choice to raise a family (with consideration to the hundreds of thousands who love it there and raise their family's there), it certainly would not be my choice. KG's kids were essentially grown and out of the house, so he had no consideration to having to raise a family. CLF's kids are all in elementary school (or younger), so the family considerations that were faced by KG and CLF are total different.

Being in my field, I have been offered the opportunity to work in a wide variety of industries all over the US and much of the world. In my mid-20s I was offered a job that would have doubled my salary. IMO, the significant increase in salary did not offset the large increase in worldwide travel, the time away from family and lack of available vacation time, so I turned the job down and have never looked back. If CLF wants to raise her family in Spokane (great choice), enjoys the quality of life offered in the Inland Empire, desires the support from the local Zag community, these items may way offset the increase in salary.

However, if your long term goals are to win a National Championship, be an assistant coach for an NBA team, etc., then moving to a P-5 conference team may be the next rung on that ladder. CLF may have no interest in such things, but if she does, the additional salary may simply sweeten the pot.

Mark Few has made it very clear, that he loves living in the Inland Empire and he values the quality of life and family time over the money and prestige of a P-5 coaching position. CLF has not publicly (at least not that I have seen) made similar comments, so I have no idea if she is similarly committed to GU. Zag fans certainly hope so. Until then, anytime a power position comes available, Zag fans will be sitting on pins and needles until the position is filled and we can all take a deep breath until the next time.

Such is plight of the fans of a very successful mid-major team with top notch head coach.

ZagDad

ZagDad, I think you hit the nail on the head with the question about what the Fortier’s priorities are. I hope it includes staying in Spokane where the program is so supportive, kids are settled in schools, and the traffic is negligible. She and her team have done an amazing job and I think they have plenty of room, resources and support to continue to grow the program to the next level.