Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Future Opponents 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - Oregon picks up yet another top recruit today.
    - Addison Patterson, espn top 31 player, 10th best rated guard, who like the center from mali, is going to reclassify to 2019-20
    - ducks honestly may have a better recruiting class than the zags, and like the zags have two good players transferring in who are immediately eligible.

- I think they will be favored to beat seton hall, and thus our likely opponent in second round of battle for atlantis.

- lots gonna be riding on that game, brother lives in Eugene and is a duck.
    I hope you're right, but anyone who has followed the Ducks over the last decade knows that Altman's teams struggle a lot in November. It's Pritchard, a couple sophs who got decent minutes as freshmen, and a slew of new guys. I expect them to be pretty ragged looking offensively at that time, based on how they've looked early in past seasons. Even the final 4 team w/ NBA guys in Brooks, Dorsey, Bell , Boucher struggled early. Seton Hall probably isn't as talented, but they have a bunch of returning vets and a star in Powell, and a lot of size.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - Oregon picks up yet another top recruit today.
    - Addison Patterson, espn top 31 player, 10th best rated guard, who like the center from mali, is going to reclassify to 2019-20
    - ducks honestly may have a better recruiting class than the zags, and like the zags have two good players transferring in who are immediately eligible.

- I think they will be favored to beat seton hall, and thus our likely opponent in second round of battle for atlantis.

- lots gonna be riding on that game, brother lives in Eugene and is a duck.
    I'd love to see a thing about how high school kids that re-classify to in the frosh year in college end up doing.

Seems to me it would have to be a special player (and Oregon has 2) to make a huge impact. It takes a special true freshman, now you're asking someone who would've been a "true high school senior" to essentially step-up prior to the plan?

Yes, Lebron James could've done it to the NBA, but man, it seems a lot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I'd love to see a thing about how high school kids that re-classify to in the frosh year in college end up doing.

Seems to me it would have to be a special player (and Oregon has 2) to make a huge impact. It takes a special true freshman, now you're asking someone who would've been a "true high school senior" to essentially step-up prior to the plan?

Yes, Lebron James could've done it to the NBA, but man, it seems a lot.
    I think a lot of these kids that reclassify have been held back or started late to give an athletic advantage and are just rejoining their natural class. Many would be turning 19 in high school if they'd stayed. Patterson is 18 having a summer b-day and is actually 13 months older than Ballo. Dante will be 18 in October and is 9 months older than Ballo. Our own recruit Suggs is 18 right now I believe and is himself 13 months older than Ballo but just starting his senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think a lot of these kids that reclassify have been held back or started late to give an athletic advantage and are just rejoining their natural class. Many would be turning 19 in high school if they'd stayed. Patterson is 18 having a summer b-day and is actually 13 months older than Ballo. Dante will be 18 in October and is 9 months older than Ballo. Our own recruit Suggs is 18 right now I believe and is himself 13 months older than Ballo but just starting his senior year.
    Isn't Ravet 18 years of age now as a senior as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Isn't Ravet 18 years of age now as a senior as well?
    Yes, I think he will turn 19 this spring. It seems pretty common for a lot of these players to be a little older than their classmates which makes reclassifying not that big of a jump.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Yes, I think he will turn 19 this spring. It seems pretty common for a lot of these players to be a little older than their classmates which makes reclassifying not that big of a jump.
    From what I've seen, there's been a trend where budding athletes are held back a year by their parents, strictly for athletic purposes. It's very noticeable in North Texas, particularly at the middle school level. By the time they near the end of their HS years, kids that weren't held back have closed the gap.

I wasn't enough of an athlete for my parents to even consider holding me back, nor would I have wanted them to. My birth month is May, so I gave up about six months or so. Like many, I was a late bloomer, and didn't fill out until after my sophomore year. I moved on from HS sports after my sophomore year.

UW also played exhibition games in Italy this month.

So far I do not think they have any opponents in common with BYU.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports...234209077.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    From what I've seen, there's been a trend where budding athletes are held back a year by their parents, strictly for athletic purposes. It's very noticeable in North Texas, particularly at the middle school level. By the time they near the end of their HS years, kids that weren't held back have closed the gap.

I wasn't enough of an athlete for my parents to even consider holding me back, nor would I have wanted them to. My birth month is May, so I gave up about six months or so. Like many, I was a late bloomer, and didn't fill out until after my sophomore year. I moved on from HS sports after my sophomore year.
    Evidently I must have been one heck of an athletic prospect, because I spent two years in Kindergarten!
    Last edited by Bogozags; 08-22-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 1h
    Source: Saint Mary's 7-3 big man Aaron Menzies has received a waiver from the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility and will be eligible for the 19-20 season. HUGE news for Randy Bennett and the Gaels.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../aaron-menzies

MBB | Gaels Release Non-Conference Schedule

https://smcgaels.com/news/2019/8/29/...-schedule.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    MBB | Gaels Release Non-Conference Schedule

https://smcgaels.com/news/2019/8/29/...-schedule.aspx
    No top-end elite teams, but not many dogs, either. Respectable schedule IMO
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    No top-end elite teams, but not many dogs, either. Respectable schedule IMO
    With that schedule it would seem very reasonable that the Gaels could be coming into conference play without a loss. I don't know who the Gaels play in there early season tournament, but if they could come into conference play ranked mid teens that would be a nice boost to our schedule.

Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    2h
    Dec 8: Gonzaga at UW - 4pm on ESPN2

Dec 14: Gonzaga at Arizona - 7 pm on ESPN2

https://pac-12.com/article/2019/09/1...dcast-schedule

Unfortunately, with the expanded power conference schedules, Gonzaga is going to have to get used to playing big name opponents right after finals week, even if statistics have consistently shown that playing such big name opponents, on the road, right after finals is a recipe for a loss. There just isn't enough room on the schedule anymore to play a Big Sky team after finals like GU used to, and THEN a game at Arizona, at UNC, etc.