Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 2019

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Could be wrong but doubt many on this board would call those true rivalries.
    ...that was his point

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Will keep my eyes open for the next time I see one of the following headlines:

The Rivalry

Gonzaga versus Duke
    Gonzaga versus North Carolina
    Gonzaga versus Kentucky
    Perhaps those guys don't consider Gonzaga their Rival. They DO consider Gonzaga as their "peer". BTW the basketball world (including the press) concur.

FWIW here's a lift from Kentucky's board ... using their data/ESPN formula to rank Gonzaga #6 over the last decade. FWIW I ran the numbers last week (out of town now and don't have the backup with me) but using this formula Gonzaga is #4 over the last half-decade.... behind only Duke, UNC and Villanova.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/t.../#post-8043485
    .dlh331
    dlh331
    Junior
    Gold Member
    I despise ESPN but several years ago they did implement a "system" to objectively rank the success of programs over a period of time. They awarded:

3 points for a 1 seed
    1 point for each NCAAT appearance
    2 points for a round of 32 exit/loss
    5 points for a Sweet 16 loss
    10 points for Elite 8 loss
    15 points for Final 4 loss
    20 points for Title game loss
    25 points for NCAA Title

The top 15 programs for 2010-19 were:
    1. Kentucky 130 points
    2. Duke 114
    3. Kansas 106
    4. UNC 102
    5. Michigan State 82
    6. Gonzaga 79
    7. Villanova 78
    8. Michigan 72
    9. Syracuse 71
    10. Florida 70
    11. Wisconsin 69
    12. Butler 60
    13. UConn 56
    14. Ohio State 47
    15. Wichita State 37
    Last edited by GoZags; 07-20-2019 at 07:05 AM.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Really great job GoZags. I really like the work you did here. Thanks.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Even more amazing is that GZ remembered where to go to find this data! Congrats GZ, your brain still works! lol
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    BYU's Nick Emery has announced his retirement, per his Twitter page.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...ery-announces/

There are like 5 or 6 games that need to be scheduled next year. Anyone have any insight? A few cupcakes will be in there but usually there are a few other intriguing games added.

12 predictions for 12 new men's basketball coaches this 2019-20 season

3. Mark Pope, BYU: Dave Rose could have taken this team to the NCAA tournament this season. But he decided to make a change and retire. The school jumped at hiring Pope and there is a renewed sense of energy in the program. The return of Yoeli Childs and TJ Haws gives the Cougars a 1-2 punch that should keep BYU on the heels of Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s (don’t sleep on Pepperdine, either). If BYU can take care of some key non-conference games then the Cougars should be in the tournament.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...2019-20-season

Sure...and the WCC will get three bids to the NCAA Tournament..... including both of the at large bids..... so generously given to the mid majors...If BYU wants to dance it will have to win the WCC Tournament and get the automatic....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Sure...and the WCC will get three bids to the NCAA Tournament..... including both of the at large bids..... so generously given to the mid majors...If BYU wants to dance it will have to win the WCC Tournament and get the automatic....
    I think BYU making the Dance as an At Large is possible...they play a decent OOC schedule and if Pope can get them playing defence (which Rose for some reason couldn't) then they will be a strong team...

SMC will be strong and IF Pepperdine can stay injury free this coming season, then they will be in the mix as well...

GU will have the best talent but the jury is still deliberating; hopefully, a verdict will avail itself after the BOA...

I thought Pepp would be pretty good, but that site that counts down the top 144 has them at 117, and the roster shows no Sam Cunliffe or MJ Cage, two of their three high major transfers who I thought were going to play this year.

SMC is in every top 25 I've seen; barring injury they should be a lock for the tourney, experienced and deep with a couple of stars.

BYU, who knows, but Childs is a guy who can carry a team. If Pope can get them to buy in on D, there's a chance they'll be good enough to make the tourney.

Getting a third, of course, depends on the middle and lower tiers of the conference winning most of their nonconf games so conf strength of sched looks good on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I thought Pepp would be pretty good, but that site that counts down the top 144 has them at 117, and the roster shows no Sam Cunliffe or MJ Cage, two of their three high major transfers who I thought were going to play this year.

SMC is in every top 25 I've seen; barring injury they should be a lock for the tourney, experienced and deep with a couple of stars.

BYU, who knows, but Childs is a guy who can carry a team. If Pope can get them to buy in on D, there's a chance they'll be good enough to make the tourney.

Getting a third, of course, depends on the middle and lower tiers of the conference winning most of their nonconf games so conf strength of sched looks good on paper.

I see Cage on the roster but not Cunliffe

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'm going by the school's official site. ESPN does have him on the roster, but I'm assuming the school's roster is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I'm going by the school's official site. ESPN does have him on the roster, but I'm assuming the school's roster is more accurate.
    Yes, I agree...Cunliffe - three schools in four years...I wonder if there is a problem: attitude or skill with this young man...I remember seeing the special on him in high school and thought he was going to be a star...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Sam Cunliffe visited Pepperdine when he was transferring from Kansas, but ended up committing to the University of Evansville:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/s...le/2377678002/

Just because.......

Shaqtin' a Fool
    @shaqtin
    #TBT to Delly's excellent close-out defense ... on the ref.

https://twitter.com/shaqtin/status/1154459373860806656

Not sure if posted already. Taken from Cougael on GIAG. An interview with RB by a GU grad student.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/7 ... dy-bennett
    might be a bad link but if you can resurrect, it's a decent interview. Sorry.

"thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Thanks Rangerzag

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Thanks Rangerzag
    +1

Pretty insightful imo

Couple BYU notes today, probably won't matter for 19-20.

Former top 100 recruit pg Alex Barcello is transferring from Arizona to BYU.

Top 50 2020 recruit Mady Sissoko broke his hand on a recruiting visit at BYU in an ATV accident. He is originally from Mali but plays at Wasatch Academy in Utah. I had heard GU had some interest in him.

Cool

Sorry to read about Mady's ATV accident. Hope it's only a minor break. Regarding Alex Barcello:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b.../alex-barcello

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Is nobody else going to ask how/why he had an ATV accident on a recruiting visit? Hello, liability? What the hell.

Sounds like a current BYU player not being named was driving. Also read were Mady had surgery and may miss his senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Is nobody else going to ask how/why he had an ATV accident on a recruiting visit? Hello, liability? What the hell.
    It’s BYU. No one cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    It’s BYU. No one cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure people hope the kid is okay, no one wants him to miss his senior year.

Yes, as to BYU's possible economic liability. They can more than cover the costs/damages. Richest school in the conference by a longshot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.