Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 2019

I'm confused the thread title is future opponents 2019, yet all the comments seem to be about wcc members and who they are going to play.....which is fine, but I kinda thought the thread was to be about who Gonzaga plays this up coming season?

- anyway, 4 days ago the slipper passed along that for the 3rd year in a row texas southern is coming to the kennel, this year on dec. 4, 2019.
    - as in the past they have one of the toughest o.o.c. schedules. they often win only 1, 2 or 3 games in o.o.c. then do quite well in their league conference.
    - I know they are a 'directional' school, but they do not seen to be a negative drag on seeding matrix's..........I suspect that is why coach few is fine with having them on his schedule, now 3 years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    I'm confused the thread title is future opponents 2019, yet all the comments seem to be about wcc members and who they are going to play.....which is fine, but I kinda thought the thread was to be about who Gonzaga plays this up coming season?

- anyway, 4 days ago the slipper passed along that for the 3rd year in a row texas southern is coming to the kennel, this year on dec. 4, 2019.
    - as in the past they have one of the toughest o.o.c. schedules. they often win only 1, 2 or 3 games in o.o.c. then do quite well in their league conference.
    - I know they are a 'directional' school, but they do not seen to be a negative drag on seeding matrix's..........I suspect that is why coach few is fine with having them on his schedule, now 3 years in a row.
    They are an extremely high character program with the thankless job of playing punching bag for big ones all pre-conference.

I suspect Few admires and respects the program itself.

I also know that Spokane and GU treat the players extremely well, Davenport reservations, all that. It might be a treat for Tex. Southern. They're going to get beat anyway. Unless you're Michigan State a few years ago.

We need to have some games like this, might as well get kids you like playing them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I like Texas Southern....they are entertaining and I think they make the NCAA quite often.....but I can hear Incarnate Word approaching on their way to WSU....

- texas southern surprised some big boys last year, beating Oregon, Baylor and texas a&m.
    - they lose their top 3 scorers from last years squad, that we beat by nearly 40 points.

- I hope we can pass on incarnate word..........now grand canyon is up and coming and anxious for exposure, I'd bet they'd leap at a chance to come to Spokane. just saying I'd rather we play gcu than i.w.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    They are an extremely high character program with the thankless job of playing punching bag for big ones all pre-conference.

I suspect Few admires and respects the program itself.

I also know that Spokane and GU treat the players extremely well, Davenport reservations, all that. It might be a treat for Tex. Southern. They're going to get beat anyway. Unless you're Michigan State a few years ago.

We need to have some games like this, might as well get kids you like playing them.
    Their games are also televised on the Rockets regional network, which makes it a bit easier for us in Texas.

Texas Southern should put in their contracts that if they win one of these "buy games" they play that the school they beat owes them a return game at some point in the next 2-4 years. They won a handful of these games last year.

- texas southern surprised some big boys last year, beating Oregon, Baylor and texas a&m.
    - they lose their top 3 scorers from last years squad, that we beat by nearly 40 points.

- I hope we can pass on incarnate word..........now grand canyon is up and coming and anxious for exposure, I'd bet they'd leap at a chance to come to Spokane. just saying I'd rather we play gcu than i.w.
    Thank you, I had forgotten entirely. That is true and impressive. Those school's budgets are enormous, and Baylor, A&M just up the road from them, so not a hard trip, that's awesome.

They deserve a game with us, we appreciate them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Not sure this really goes here, but I didn't want to start another thread. It's a KREM video of an interview with Kyle Smith - the new WSU coach - and how it wants to get the Cougs playing GU again.

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...6-831df29b236b
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

- UT Arlington, comes to kennel on 11-19-19.

- like texas southern, a team we played last year.
    - like texas southern, not a bad team........i.e. ncaa net ranking of 160 last year and second place in their sun belt conference.
    - of course who knows what team they bring back this year? (other than last years top scorer)

Seems like we could piece together a preliminary schedule for 2019-20. I’ll try to get on that this afternoon unless someone beats me to it.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Here's Gonzaga Guru's Schedule: https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welco...zaga-schedule/

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Seems like we could piece together a preliminary schedule for 2019-20. I’ll try to get on that this afternoon unless someone beats me to it.

- that's 10 o.o.c. set thus far.
    - how many more are we allowed? two or three?

- I'd sure like to see a 3rd game set prior to the battle for atlantis tournament. I think a 3rd game can only help the team work out kinks and jell together some more.
    - I expect a game or two following the ewu game (12-21-19) and prior to league play, they usually have done so in the past.

- that's 10 o.o.c. set thus far.
    - how many more are we allowed? two or three?
    With the reduction from 18 to 16 in the WCC, and the usual reg season limit of 31 if you play in a 3 game tourney, that should leave 5 more games to be scheduled, unless something has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Thanks ZN, I figured somebody had done this, but I couldn’t find it on our site.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Oregon just got better.

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    1h
    Breaking: Oregon has landed N’Faly Dante and will reclassify to 2019, a source confirms to
    @Stockrisers
    . The Ducks gained traction over the past few days but was a close race with UK.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...for-2019-class

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Oregon just got better.

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    1h
    Breaking: Oregon has landed N’Faly Dante and will reclassify to 2019, a source confirms to
    @Stockrisers
    . The Ducks gained traction over the past few days but was a close race with UK.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...for-2019-class
    Everyone should read Dante's letter to his mother, which is linked in the article you posted. Brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes it's good to get a reminder of how most of the world lives.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Everyone should read Dante's letter to his mother, which is linked in the article you posted. Brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes it's good to get a reminder of how most of the world lives.
    Some great big men coming coming out of Mali. Dante, Ballo, and Sissoko are all big time talents.

The Dukes?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

A great non-conference schedule. It's going to be fun. The Zags will certainly be challenged. I have always wished the Zags could play in the Pac 12, but really do enjoy when we get to play the best teams the Pac has in non-conference games: Possibly Oregon, Arizona and the UW this year. I'm totally in favor of playing WSU. We should never have given that game up. For many, many years it was THE most important game of the year. And it's nice to see us playing Eastern Washington again. That's also a team we should be playing every year. The Zags have certainly had great battles with Eastern.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default A New BYU is on the Horizon

"BYU basketball played a competitive game against an actual opponent and beat them 92-64 yesterday. No, the game doesn't count and Italian professional team BC Silute isn't exactly Gonzaga, but still, there were a lot of positive things that came from BYU's performance in their first game under new head coach Mark Pope. It's important to remember that this was the first game this group has played together, so seeing things like 31 assists as a team is hard to complain about."

Takeaways:
    ".. point guard TJ Haws was playing on a different level. He finished the game with 10 assists and zero turnovers. He also led BYU in scoring, shooting 7-10 from the field (5-8 from distance) for a total of 23 points."

"Haws, Jake Toolson, and Zac Seljaas combine to hit 11 three-point shots ... go[ing] 11-25, a mark good for 44%. ... [A]ll three of these players have had individual seasons where they averaged better than 40% from deep. Even just a year ago, Toolson was 45% at Utah Valley a year ago, Haws was 35% and Seljaas was 37%."

"Yoeli Childs ... finished with 16 points, eight rebounds, and five assists."

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Ar...aly-134604286/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

meh, we can hope.

No worries. we got Ballo! We also have the best guard duo available. Hopefully the Suggsmeister will sign up before Christmas. Our Bigs are so profoundly talented, we'll be title contenders one year from now. Tillie gone next year but short of someone coming up with a monster season, everyone underneath should be at the campus. I cannot imagine Timme doing anything but being excellent. It's coming. This upcoming season will be a growth year.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No worries. we got Ballo! We also have the best guard duo available. Hopefully the Suggsmeister will sign up before Christmas. Our Bigs are so profoundly talented, we'll be title contenders one year from now. Tillie gone next year but short of someone coming up with a monster season, everyone underneath should be at the campus. I cannot imagine Timme doing anything but being excellent. It's coming. This upcoming season will be a growth year.
    Nice job.

And if the growth year includes a bit of a tourney run as they "mature" and play into the second weekend, it wouldn't shock me.
    Mark Twain.

- Oregon picks up yet another top recruit today.
    - Addison Patterson, espn top 31 player, 10th best rated guard, who like the center from mali, is going to reclassify to 2019-20
    - ducks honestly may have a better recruiting class than the zags, and like the zags have two good players transferring in who are immediately eligible.

- I think they will be favored to beat seton hall, and thus our likely opponent in second round of battle for atlantis.

- lots gonna be riding on that game, brother lives in Eugene and is a duck.