Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future Opponents 2019

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    That's two players they've lost in the last week, with Armstrong deciding to skip college. I wonder if that is a coincidence with the NCAA sanctions looming.
    Barcello was a major fail; hometown boy, local legend. No loss. Seannie probably has a couple of five stars waiting to jump in Armstrong’s spot.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This path is trending upward. NCAA is looking at diluted product unless they revise arcane eligibility rules. Let them play and receive pay!
    Flex, didn't the NCAA already authorize schools to give athletes money each year? I thought it was a max of $5k...and isn't GU was also paying their men's and women's teams?

It is amazing to me how the NBA and it's union prevent kids from entering the draft but these same kids can, with their parents permission, enlist in the military at 17!

Anyone know when we're going to see the rest of the non-conference games on the schedule? Anything big in the pipeline?

SMC appears to be having fewer home games 2019/2020 in lieu of MULTIPLE Neutral games in high profile venues against decent teams. Warriors new Chase arena (Nevada) in SF, the Kings home in Sacramento, Golden One Center (Fresno State), Wisconsin to be played in South Dakota at the Pentagon or whatever it's called, two different games in the Phoenix Suns arena against ASU and Dayton and perhaps a game in LA.
    Seems like this is the alternative to teams not wanting to play on certain home courts (McKeon).
    Long Beach State will be a home game in McKeon.

Also:
    2020 Diamond Head Classic
    2021 Maui Invitational

This article says the same thing about the problem Dayton is facing in getting teams to play them on their home court, which isn't a "bandbox" like Moraga.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...UmgM8PMgQuHjK/

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    SMC appears to be having fewer home games 2019/2020 in lieu of MULTIPLE Neutral games in high profile venues against decent teams. Warriors new Chase arena (Nevada) in SF, the Kings home in Sacramento, Golden One Center (Fresno State), Wisconsin to be played in South Dakota at the Pentagon or whatever it's called, two different games in the Phoenix Suns arena against ASU and Dayton and perhaps a game in LA.
    Seems like this is the alternative to teams not wanting to play on certain home courts (McKeon).
    Long Beach State will be a home game in McKeon.

Also:
    2020 Diamond Head Classic
    2021 Maui Invitational

This article says the same thing about the problem Dayton is facing in getting teams to play them on their home court, which isn't a "bandbox" like Moraga.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...UmgM8PMgQuHjK/
    that may explain why randy seemed so resistant to improving the schedule. i'll admit, it sure looks like i underestimated the cost of doing so.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    43s44 seconds ago
    More
    Saint Mary's Randy Bennett has hired former Gaels guard Mickey McConnell as an assistant coach, per release.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Sources: Saint Mary's and Utah State will begin a home-and-home series next season in Moraga. Return game in Logan in 20-21.

Any idea when we'll start to hear when the rest of the zags schedule will be set?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Sources: Saint Mary's and Utah State will begin a home-and-home series next season in Moraga. Return game in Logan in 20-21.
    I think SMC and BYU have both really stepped up non-con scheduling this year. Hopefully they can win a bunch and the WCC can get 3 teams in the tourney.

From MBAGAEL GIAG.

SMC schedule as best we know. Understand schedule has been finalized but not fully released.

Updated @saintmaryshoops known schedule:

11/5 vs. Wisconsin (Sioux Falls)
    TBD Utah State
    11/14 Long Beach St.
    11/20 vs. Fresno St. (Sacramento)
    TBD St. Mary's MTE Event
    TBD Game 2
    12/8 vs. Dayton (PHX)
    12/14 at Cal
    12/18 vs. ASU (PHX)
    12/21 vs. Nevada (SF)#WCCHoops#SaintMarys

10:25 AM - Jul 12, 2019

From MBAGAEL GIAG.

SMC schedule as best we know. Understand schedule has been finalized but not fully released.

TBD Utah State
    11/14 Long Beach St.
    TBD St. Mary's MTE Event
    TBD Game 2
    12/8 vs. Dayton (PHX)
    12/14 at Cal
    12/18 vs. ASU (PHX)

Pretty impressive.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

From MBAGAEL GIAG.

TBD Utah State
    11/14 Long Beach St.
    TBD St. Mary's MTE Event
    TBD Game 2
    12/8 vs. Dayton (PHX)
    12/14 at Cal
    12/18 vs. ASU (PHX)

With the players he has returning, no reason he can’t win all those games giving WCC two teams in the top 15...

Default Much better

Utah State is gonna be good, I think that Wisconsin lost their perry Ellis/pendo/frankamp/grant Gibbs big. That Wisconsin big was there for 20 years it seemed! Cool to see randy challenging his team. The Gaels will be good!

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    Utah State is gonna be good, I think that Wisconsin lost their perry Ellis/pendo/frankamp/grant Gibbs big. That Wisconsin big was there for 20 years it seemed! Cool to see randy challenging his team. The Gaels will be good!
    Yes Wisconsin graduated Ethan Happ who I agree seemed like he was around forever, but they should still be solid. Utah State should be tough with Sam Merrill & Neemias Queta back. Itís good to see St. Maryís be more aggressive with their non-conference schedule this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal is the only true road game... 13-14 miles from Moraga.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    Cal is the only true road game... 13-14 miles from Moraga.

Syracuse playbook?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    Following Following @JonRothstein
    More
    UNLV grad transfer Shakur Juiston has committed to Oregon, per his Instagram page. Immediately eligible. Huge pickup for the Ducks.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/201...gon-ducks.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    Following Following @JonRothstein
    More
    UNLV grad transfer Shakur Juiston has committed to Oregon, per his Instagram page. Immediately eligible. Huge pickup for the Ducks.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/201...gon-ducks.html
    The closest player to Brandon Clarke I've seen.

Huge get. Underrated player. Will have an instant impact on their team.

A nice replacement for Kenny Wooten, and actually more polished/dynamic on offense

Posted by mjgogaels on GIAG

THE RIVALRY

https://youtu.be/6AUMLcKXj7U

Posted by mjgogaels on GIAG

THE RIVALRY

https://youtu.be/6AUMLcKXj7U
    I enjoy the rivalry, but c’mon... SMC wins what an average 2 out of 10 games against GU? I’m too lazy to look it up but I can’t be too far off on that.
    To be fair, I think the Gaels are a good program and will likely be the team to beat in conference next year. I just don’t put them at the same level as Gonzaga over the past two decades. Consistently finishing second to GU doesn't make them as good as GU.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    I enjoy the rivalry, but címon... SMC wins what an average 2 out of 10 games against GU? Iím too lazy to look it up but I canít be too far off on that.
    To be fair, I think the Gaels are a good program and will likely be the team to beat in conference next year. I just donít put them at the same level as Gonzaga over the past two decades. Consistently finishing second to GU doesn't make them as good as GU.
    Will keep my eyes open for the next time I see one of the following headlines:

The Rivalry

Gonzaga versus Duke
    Gonzaga versus North Carolina
    Gonzaga versus Kentucky

I get your point but we are rivals, albeit not to the level the article writer would have preferred to make his story more believable.

The Rivalry

Gonzaga versus Duke
    Gonzaga versus Kentucky

I get your point but we are rivals, albeit not to the level the article writer would have preferred to make his story more believable.
    SMC is our rival in the WCC and UW is our overall rival...imo

One would have thought that WSU, with it's close proximity to GU, would have been our natural rival but we don't even play them anymore...I'm aware of why we don't play them...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

One would have thought that WSU, with it's close proximity to GU, would have been our natural rival but we don't even play them anymore...I'm aware of why we don't play them...

Eastern is closer than WSU, if that was the primary criterion.

I would rather see Gonzaga beat BYU than any other WCC team.....the Gaels are usually better than BYU but I don't consider them a rival...

BYU wins in the Kennel ….now that pisses me off.....I never get mad at the Gaels, they are like a little brother....

You can't get mad at a little brother.

The Rivalry

Gonzaga versus Duke
    Gonzaga versus Kentucky

Could be wrong but doubt many on this board would call those true rivalries.