Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga and Washington Extend Series through 2023-24 Season

Default Gonzaga and Washington Extend Series through 2023-24 Season

Default UW

GU and UW have agreed to a new four year deal.

A natural....good news....the UW coach is funny as hell, worth the price of admission alone ...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    A natural....good news....the UW coach is funny as hell, worth the price of admission alone ...
    This will become a Marquee Game, not just in-state rivalry opponent.

UW could be Top-10 good very soon, likely Top-25 ranked all next season.

- I think it is clear that Hopkins is a good coach, and good recruiter......I expect uw to be a top 25 team or at minimum a tournament team each of the next several years.
    - thus this will be a quality win, and maybe even a 'good loss' should it come to that...........and it may well come to that........this team is really on the rise.

good Seatttle-Times story: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...es-until-2023/

“Look here, Gonzaga is a great team and great school with a great coach (in Mark Few) and any time you can play a program like that you want to keep that going for a long as possible,” UW coach Mike Hopkins said in a recent interview. “I don’t see that ending anytime soon. Not as long as I’m around.”
    And from Twitter:
    Gary Parrish
    ‏Verified account @GaryParrishCBS
    1h1 hour ago

Gary Parrish Retweeted Washington Men's Basketball

Shouts to Mark Few and Mike Hopkins for getting this done. These kinds of in-state games between relevant programs are always fun and good for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    good Seatttle-Times story: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...es-until-2023/

And from Twitter:
    Did anyone check with Bigfoot?

Gonzaga a "regional powerhouse" according to Percy. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Did anyone check with Bigfoot?
    That quote was in reference to UW wanting to renew the series only if it was played at Key Arena. Few preferred a H&H instead of the single "neutral court" arrangement the Huskies were suggesting

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    That quote was in reference to UW wanting to renew the series only if it was played at Key Arena. Few preferred a H&H instead of the single "neutral court" arrangement the Huskies were suggesting
    From the Seattle-Times October 23, 2009:
    SPOKANE — Gonzaga basketball coach Mark Few sounds unimpressed by a recent proposal from the Washington Huskies that the teams resume their stalled rivalry with three games in a row at KeyArena in Seattle.

“The chances of that happening are about the same as Bigfoot having my baby,” Few told SI.com. “That’s like me saying, Gonzaga proposes a five-year deal at Spokane Arena. There, I just made a proposal. That’s as logical as this deal [would be].”

Glad this is happening. Hopkins is a great coach and is gathering some very fine players. This game should be a candidate for a network game. I think he's trying to recreate a Syracuse basketball culture with his acquisitions. Quick turnaround for those "vaunted" Huskies.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Glad this is happening. Hopkins is a great coach and is gathering some very fine players. This game should be a candidate for a network game. I think he's trying to recreate a Syracuse basketball culture with his acquisitions. Quick turnaround for those "vaunted" Huskies.
    Completely agree... and JMHO... should be national. OK, last part is because it personally benefits me and us east coasters.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Completely agree... and JMHO... should be national. OK, last part is because it personally benefits me and us east coasters.
    This game should restart the Battle in Seattle saga, if for no other reason than it sounds so cool.

what was the score last time Zags played in Alaska Arena?

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Gonzaga a "regional powerhouse" according to Percy. LOL.
    As in the Western Hemisphere region.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    As in the Western Hemisphere region.
    Nooo. Too narrow. Call it the Milky Way region.

From the Seattle-Times, "Bring it on! Huskies and Zags meeting each year could become one of hoops’ hottest rivalries"
    When Gonzaga point guard Josh Perkins threw a no-look pass to Zach Collins for an easy dunk, you had to wonder if Washington administrators wondered why they ever agreed to this revival.

The Collins jam gave the Zags a 27-6 lead just eight minutes into their game with the Huskies three Decembers ago, underscoring the Grand Canyon-sized chasm separating the two programs.

For eight seasons, this game was non-existent. The two schools didn’t meet from 2007-2014, as Gonzaga transformed into a national powerhouse and Washington faded into relative obscurity. But now the annual matchup had been rekindled, and for the second consecutive year, the Zags were outpacing the Dawgs like Porsches vs. Pintos.

Gonzaga went on to win that 2016 game by 27 points, which was 11 more than its 2015 win over Washington and the same as its 2017 victory. So why would the UW brass want to subject its school to one of more excruciating in-state “rivalries” in the country?

Simple — because it’s about to become one of the most exciting.

I try not to read tea leaves too much, but this quote is interesting from Hopkins: "I don't see that ending anytime soon. NOT AS LONG AS I'M AROUND".

IMO the last sentence makes one wonder how long he's gonna be around, w/ Boeheim in his mid 70's. Cuse plays in a dome before 30k, in the nation's best conference w UNC and Duke et al, and Hop got tired of waiting for the old man to give up the ghost. Don't know Hop; maybe he's happy, but lots of coaches have used schools as stepping stones. And logically, the odds of a NC at Cuse are a lot higher than at UW.

That's one way to look at it maynard. Maybe Hop sees a chance to rule the Pac 12. After going 14-4 in their first year in the ACC, Syracuse is about .500 the last 5 seasons. Always gonna be behind Duke and Carolina in the pecking order. Virginia has risen to elite status recently. Like most of the Big East refugees they aren't really thriving in their new environment (at least they haven't completely died like Pitt has). And following a coaching legend is usually a losing proposition. Maybe the lure to return to Syracuse would be too great to resist, but maybe he's happy creating his own legacy somewhere else. Also he's a West Coast guy originally (California), maybe he'd rather stay out here now that he's returned.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    That's one way to look at it maynard. Maybe Hop sees a chance to rule the Pac 12. After going 14-4 in their first year in the ACC, Syracuse is about .500 the last 5 seasons. Always gonna be behind Duke and Carolina in the pecking order. Virginia has risen to elite status recently. Like most of the Big East refugees they aren't really thriving in their new environment (at least they haven't completely died like Pitt has). And following a coaching legend is usually a losing proposition. Maybe the lure to return to Syracuse would be too great to resist, but maybe he's happy creating his own legacy somewhere else. Also he's a West Coast guy originally (California), maybe he'd rather stay out here now that he's returned.
    All good points as well. Just idle off season speculation on my part.

I would just hope they could at least schedule one of the games at the new Key Arena and another at Spokane Arena. This rivalry is too good to be played at small campus sites.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I would just hope they could at least schedule one of the games at the new Key Arena and another at Spokane Arena. This rivalry is too good to be played at small campus sites.
    I wonder if they could set something up where they played UW and WSU every year, with one game at the Spokane Arena, and the other as the "Battle in Seattle" game at Key Arena, or something along those lines.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    'good loss'
    = unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Why would GU or UW want to give up its home court advantage by playing in either Arena?

If I'm not mistaken, there is a "cost" for GU to use the arena...I'm sure someone on this board has more knowledge on the financial arrangement

Just to play devils advocate here...... If you were Gonzaga and had a 209-15 W/L home record vs. a 18-15 W/L Spokane Arena record and in the Mac you get to keep the concession/gate revenue and keep your donors/season ticket holders happy---- where would you prefer to play?