Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga and Washington Extend Series through 2023-24 Season

In the Arena ….that is new money....they will have already banked the season ticket sales for the Kennel....

I do not know what the terms are but I am sure they make a ton of money for a game at the Arena that will sell out...

I don't think they have to worry about selling the season tickets....the people that get a chance to buy them will be plenty happy...

Home/home alternated with Key Arena(when open)/Spo Arena seems like a smart idea to me. Include the game for season ticket holders of both schools, and let 6-8000 others see the game every other time. Increased community interest in both cities, and probably adds some new fans in the process. I got into the Hec Ed games in the early years; can't now.

As to K2 record v Spo Arena record, it's apples and oranges; most of the home games are WCC or OOC bottom feeders; I'd bet the Arena record is v higher level comp overall.

Even if you bring Kentucky into Spokane Arena and sell it out, Gonzaga makes more money bringing Texas Southern into a sold out Kennel. I have repeatedly asked this of people in the know, and they have confirmed it. Dream up any scenario you want, but the people who organize these things at Gonzaga are not dummies. It's about the bottom line. GU has to pay rent, gets no concession money, etc., if they play games at Spokane Arena. And there are many other factors.

Also, the donors who helped finance K2 didn't invest all that money into building a state of the art, on campus facility to be slapped in the face with having games put in the city owned arena. It could be interpreted as a message that says "what you gave wasn't good enough." GU would still be in K1 if it weren't for them and their generosity.

Great to see the series extended. Especially with the way that Hopkins has turned that program around.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Even if you bring Kentucky into Spokane Arena and sell it out, Gonzaga makes more money bringing Texas Southern into a sold out Kennel. I have repeatedly asked this of people in the know, and they have confirmed it. Dream up any scenario you want, but the people who organize these things at Gonzaga are not dummies. It's about the bottom line. GU has to pay rent, gets no concession money, etc., if they play games at Spokane Arena. And there are many other factors.

Also, the donors who helped finance K2 didn't invest all that money into building a state of the art, on campus facility to be slapped in the face with having games put in the city owned arena. It could be interpreted as a message that says "what you gave wasn't good enough." GU would still be in K1 if it weren't for them and their generosity.

Great to see the series extended. Especially with the way that Hopkins has turned that program around.
    Seems to me like the City of Spokane or whoever owns the arena needs to give Gonzaga a better deal to try and get a game in the Spokane Arena every couple years.

23 - 14 win by UW in their first game against GU. played in 1910, 109 years ago!
    I would love to know more about the history of basketball at that time, to understand why the score was low,
    I imagine scores were generally lower than now, and that this game was not unusually low,

also HecEd (Alaska Airlines bldg) holds about the same amount of seats as the Seattle Key Arena, both in the neighborhood of 11 or 12K, so no incentive for huskies to play in Key Arena (I realized its out for a couple of seasons right now) from the standpoint of letting more fans watch.
    this is the one thing I wish GU payed more attention to, opportunities for fans to get to see live games in WA state, but they have cancelled WSU , 11k, BIS 11k, and Spokane Arena 12k
    the only chance I have had is to drive to Portland, where you must buy 4 games in a package, one of them against Gonzaga University.
    Zag Nation is much bigger than the 6000 that can be seated in the kennel, and they are shown no consideration in the GU planning.
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 06-14-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    23 - 14 win by UW in their first game against GU. played in 1910, 109 years ago!
    I would love to know more about the history of basketball at that time, to understand why the score was low,
    I imagine scores were generally lower than now, and that this game was not unusually low,

also HecEd (Alaska Airlines bldg) holds about the same amount of seats as the Seattle Key Arena, both in the neighborhood of 11 or 12K, so no incentive for huskies to play in Key Arena (I realized its out for a couple of seasons right now) from the standpoint of letting more fans watch.
    this is the one thing I with GU payed more attention to, opportunities for fans to get to see live games in WA state, but they have cancelled WSU , 11k, BIS 11k, and Spokane Arena 12k
    the only chance I have had is to drive to Portland, where you must buy 4 games in a package, one of them against Gonzaga University.
    Zag Nation is much bigger than the 6000 that can be seated in the kennel, and they are shown no consideration in the GU planning.
    There is a significant difference in capacity Key Arena vs. Hec Ed. On campus is right about 10,000; the Key was 17,000+ prior to refurbishing.

I think those really old, really low scoring games were because of no shot clock and constant stall tactics. There really wasn't an incentive to shoot, especially if you were ahead.

thanks for correction, my memory of Key Arena was wrong.

I would love to see a video/film of a bb game before WWII, just to see how different it was

I bothered to investigate my own question, and it was a lot of fun to see how the strategies of early basketball evolved toward the modern game of one handed jump shots replacing the two handed set shot, and rules employed to speed the game up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqs8wOiBLhc
    St. Johns vs Univ of Oregon, 1939
    The technique of perimeter shooting has certainly changed a lot.
    --------------------------------
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xutjhk-KD8
    a few other differences I noticed,
    all free throws were taken underhanded,
    you could pass the ball around all you wanted to kill time, as the film shows 34 passes before a shot was taken
    after every basket players sauntered back to center court for a jump ball which decided which team which get the next possession
    basketball was added to the Olympics in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, for it was almost as popular in Europe as in North America
    for a long time there was no hole in the bottom of the basket and the ball had to be lifted out of the basket to resume play
    also the original proposal for the name of the sport was to be ‘naismithball’ but joe Naismith rejected that name and someone proposed the combine the names of two primary objects used in the game a basket and a ball
    -------------------------------
    and this is a great story of the history of basketball from Naismith to Univ of Kansas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RemLQ2F6H_0
    but caution it is two hours long, though fascinating

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I try not to read tea leaves too much, but this quote is interesting from Hopkins: "I don't see that ending anytime soon. NOT AS LONG AS I'M AROUND".

IMO the last sentence makes one wonder how long he's gonna be around, w/ Boeheim in his mid 70's. Cuse plays in a dome before 30k, in the nation's best conference w UNC and Duke et al, and Hop got tired of waiting for the old man to give up the ghost. Don't know Hop; maybe he's happy, but lots of coaches have used schools as stepping stones. And logically, the odds of a NC at Cuse are a lot higher than at UW.
    It all makes sense.

But, that school is a very very very nice place to coach-kick it for ohhhh, 25 years if he simply decided he had all the basketball he needed, and liked the west coast.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Good research on the history of the game! I have a feeling many of us would have a hard time sitting thru a game as it was in the early days. 34 passes before a shot! Wow. Jump ball after every made basket? Probably wasn't much if any fast break opportunities. If games currently with scores in the 50s are considered too slow paced and boring I can't even imagine a game with a winning score in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I have a feeling many of us would have a hard time sitting thru a game as it was in the early days. 34 passes before a shot! Wow.
    Probably the closest thing is watching a St. Mary's game.

that's a good one, had to laugh, and some other teams we have played also, slowed us down.
    when Naismith decided to not practice medicine after becoming a Dr. he got a job with the YMCA and the director told him to find something for the football players and athletes to do in the dead of winter
    as a boy he and his friends played a game of putting a little rock on a larger rock, and then compete to throw at the little rock on top to see who was best,
    so he thought throwing a socker ball into a cardboard box from distance would be fun, but the janitor did not have any boxes at the time - a little while later he showed up and asked naismith if a peach basket would do.
    the peach basket was nailed to the wall and basketball was born