• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

June 6, 2019. ESPN Top 25: Zags at 7.

NBA draft decisions and some critical prospect commitments have altered our emerging snapshot of the 2019-20 college hoops season.

With all the grumbles around the board, this new ranking list may have been overlooked. 5 months to go till tip. ESPN thinks we've dropped a position. As best I can tell we have 3 Top 100 Bigs coming in. With Corey, Tillie and Petusev coming back, we're in good shape. Adding Brock and Adnon…..only solidifies our position. I think we're 1 guard away from Top 5. Few's biggest challenge won't be acquiring more talent. I'm thinking it'll be how these present talent meshes as a team. Lots to look forward to.
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...top-25-2019-20

With all the grumbles around the board, this new ranking list may have been overlooked. 5 months to go till tip. ESPN thinks we've dropped a position. As best I can tell we have 3 Top 100 Bigs coming in. With Corey, Tillie and Petusev coming back, we're in good shape. Adding Brock and Adnon…..only solidifies our position. I think we're 1 guard away from Top 5. Few's biggest challenge won't be acquiring more talent. I'm thinking it'll be how these present talent meshes as a team. Lots to look forward to.
    Agree Doc, "meshing" I think will be the key to our early success this season...with a front loaded schedule the kids will have to learn to offence as well as adjust to the speed and defence of D1 bball for GU to realize success...

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
      https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...top-25-2019-20

Admon Gilder is a great addition but I don’t think Zags current roster merits Top 10 preseason ranking. A fantastic front court without high quality backcourt to feed the bigs and play lockdown D and keep the defense honest by knocking down 3’s is not what I think of as Top Ten team.

Either Ravet is really special, Ayayi has given coaches reason to believe he can play substantial role in the backcourt this season, or there is an incoming immediately eligible PG we just don’t have official word about. Lacking some such scenario, I am not drinking the kool-aid just yet.
      Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
        Admon Gilder is a great addition but I don’t think Zags current roster merits Top 10 preseason ranking. A fantastic front court without high quality backcourt to feed the bigs and play lockdown D and keep the defense honest by knocking down 3’s is not what I think of as Top Ten team.

Either Ravet is really special, Ayayi has given coaches reason to believe he can play substantial role in the backcourt this season, or there is an incoming immediately eligible PG we just don’t have official word about. Lacking some such scenario, I am not drinking the kool-aid just yet.
        Nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag .... but I'm thinking "there is an incoming immediately eligible PG we just don't have official word about"
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          Nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag .... but I'm thinking "there is an incoming immediately eligible PG we just don't have official word about"
          As usual, GoZags continues to pick my interests. I won't be able to rest well until we find out who THAT is!

I agree with this ranking. There is more to this team than many fan HERE believe.

Go Zags!!!
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• sportsfan101
            Redshirt
            • May 2019

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
            As usual, GoZags continues to pick my interests. I won't be able to rest well until we find out who THAT is!

I agree with this ranking. There is more to this team than many fan HERE believe.

Go Zags!!!
            I thought it's Derryck Thornton and we're just waiting for him to make an official announcement.....right?

Zach Braziller, sports reporter for the New York Post, Tweeted yesterday that he was told that it's unlikely Derryck Thornton would visit St John`s like was originally the plan. I thought that had to be a great sign for us.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sportsfan101 View Post
              I thought it's Derryck Thornton and we're just waiting for him to make an official announcement.....right?

Zach Braziller, sports reporter for the New York Post, Tweeted yesterday that he was told that it's unlikely Derryck Thornton would visit St John`s like was originally the plan. I thought that had to be a great sign for us.
              That’s an interesting development.

Comment

Working...
              X