Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: ESPN's Ranking college basketball's underappreciated coaches

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,347

    Default ESPN's Ranking college basketball's underappreciated coaches

    Coaches who are underappreciated because they've won so often their success is taken for granted (The John Calipari category)

    "10. Mark Few: Gonzaga has an international pipeline. Players come from all over the world to compete in Spokane, Washington, for Few's program. Few's excellence has been well-documented over his nearly 20 years at Gonzaga. But the cultural elements of his program are often understated. He's not just dealing with athletes from different backgrounds, he's trying to coordinate a group of players who must adapt to cultural norms in a new country. Rui Hachimura, a projected lottery pick in this summer's NBA draft, couldn't speak English when he first arrived in 2016 and struggled to understand the playbook as a result. That's not a hurdle most coaches encounter. The Gonzaga model is proven. But Few's perennial win-loss magic is even more notable when you realize the other elements his job demands."


    Coaches who are underappreciated because they've never won titles (The John Beilein/Gregg Marshall category)


    "5. Randy Bennett: Bennett has been the "other guy" in his league for nearly 20 years. Without Gonzaga's shadow, Bennett's work at Saint Mary's would draw more national hype. The Gaels are the only reason Gonzaga hasn't won every West Coast Conference title since 2001. Saint Mary's broke up the streak by winning the crown outright in 2012. Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova, former Saint Mary's standouts under Bennett, won NBA titles in 2014 and 2016, respectively. Bennett has won 25 or more games in nine of the past 12 seasons. He also has seven NCAA tournament appearances in a league where games against Gonzaga consistently supply the only opportunity for a signature victory."


    Found this and thought you'd find it an interesting read...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,493

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    14,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Thanks for the link!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Pretty interesting. A couple years ago Few would have been listed in the other category. Some evidence that the perception of GU has changed in the NCAAB world.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Kind of a strange article because one way or another it lists almost every major coach out there. In other words, if you made a list of coaches who are appreciated "appropriately" (whatever that means), who would be on that list?

    Coach K
    Roy Williams
    Tony Bennett
    Izzo

    Who else is appreciated at a level commensurate with their "success" or program profile? Sean Miller? LOL

    ZZ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Bill Self....Jay Wright....when they were there...Billy Donovan....Brad Stevens...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    That's my point...Bill Self and Jay Wright are on the "under appreciated" list along with Few.

    Donovan and Stevens are out of NCAA and coaching in the Association now.

    Who is left that the author didn't mention on his list of 30 coaches that are under appreciated by on measure or another? I suppose the middle of the road coaches with middling reputations....Romar, Miller, Altman, Kent?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    I suppose the middle of the road coaches with middling reputations....Romar, Miller, Altman, Kent?
    LOL. Is this one of those "which one of these doesn't belong w/ the other 3" multiple choice questions?

    Hint: one of the above has a 13-6 NCAA tourney record since 2013, with a final 4, an elite 8, and two sweet sixteens as a 12 seed, after taking over a program that was in the cellar when he was hired, and has no history as a basketball power. Oh, and 645 career wins. Basically a guaranteed hall of famer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    LOL. Is this one of those "which one of these doesn't belong w/ the other 3" multiple choice questions?

    Hint: one of the above has a 13-6 NCAA tourney record since 2013, with a final 4, an elite 8, and two sweet sixteens, after taking over a program that was in the cellar when he was hired
    Honestly 2 of them don't belong w/ the other 2. Obviously I know which one you are referring to. The other has won the regular season conference crown about 50% of the time he's been at his school, has a number of 30+ win seasons and 3 Elite 8's at his current school (1 other previously).

    The other 2 coaches have quite a few seasons with losing records.

    Here's the career winning % for the 4 coaches in random order--.575, .655, .522 and .738. Somehow I don't think the guy w/ the best winning % is the worst of the 4 coaches. He also has more than twice as many 30+ win seasons as the other 3 coaches combined. So...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Honestly 2 of them don't belong w/ the other 2. Obviously I know which one you are referring to. The other has won the regular season conference crown about 50% of the time he's been at his school, has a number of 30+ win seasons and 3 Elite 8's at his current school (1 other previously).

    The other 2 coaches have quite a few seasons with losing records.

    Here's the career winning % for the 4 coaches in random order--.575, .655, .522 and .738. Somehow I don't think the guy w/ the best winning % is the worst of the 4 coaches. He also has more than twice as many 30+ win seasons as the other 3 coaches combined. So...
    You're right, of course. Subjectively, I would say that Altman has done more with less in the pac, taking over a lower echelon program while Miller took over the league's top job; it's a much better position to recruit from. But yes, I should have said that two don't belong w/ the other two.

    BTW I didn't say Miller was the worst of the 4 anywhere in my post.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    BTW I didn't say Miller was the worst of the 4 anywhere in my post.
    Sorry, didn't mean to infer you did. That was more of a general response on my part because lately Miller seems to have achieved Romar status in the eyes of some GU fans.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    That's my point...Bill Self and Jay Wright are on the "under appreciated" list along with Few.

    Donovan and Stevens are out of NCAA and coaching in the Association now.

    Who is left that the author didn't mention on his list of 30 coaches that are under appreciated by on measure or another? I suppose the middle of the road coaches with middling reputations....Romar, Miller, Altman, Kent?
    I didn't read the link...all these lists are clickbait imo…..something to argue about....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Bill Self....Jay Wright....when they were there...Billy Donovan....Brad Stevens...
    re. Stevens and the NBA, he's so appreciated that when his team tanks and sucks, it's Kyrie Irving's fault

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •