Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College Basketball Rule Changes

Well, I don't know enough basketball to actually know even what would need to change, but someone has to do something to make it less like a hockey game. I honestly don't know all the things you'd need to change but my god if you're ever at a game it is so much more apparent than on TV, it is nuts in the lane, guy just hammer each other.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I'd like to see something change on charging/blocking fouls. Would like to see "close calls" be "no calls" and would like to see situations where an embellishment or flops can be used to cancel out legitimate offensive fouls (if not egregious).
    Technically...the flop could is considered to be technical foul worthy as the very nature of it is unsporting conduct...good luck calling the T though and getting coaches, players, fans to understand.
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Also, a memo should go out to referees that says, even if you're in the last 30 seconds of a game, make sure you call a foul only if the player actually fouls. More and more, there are situations where one team runs up to a guy and just puts a hand on the other player's chest. That's not really a foul. Make a basketball play and foul the guy. Refs shouldn't bail out teams and call thoughtless fouls when the call would never be a foul if it happened in the first 30 seconds of the game.
    As others have said, two hands on a guy is technically a foul...but beyond that, if you dont call that and the guy actually has to "foul" that leads to a whole mess of problems for rising tempers to coaches and fans screaming INTENTIONAL!!!!

I dont think people really grasp how coaches, players and fans conduct in the game and outside the game impact officiating...case in point: foul count. A game could be going on and one team could be racking up fouls the other not so much. No one outside of the officials and the coach/players/fans on the lower end of the count can possibly conceive that the other team is in fact fouling more, thus the 8 to 2 foul count is perceived as unfair or "the fix is in", so officials are advised to keep the count in mind because, to simply put it, people are morons when it comes to their team and fair. Coaches and the bunch get angry, you have to start T'ing people up, maybe eject coach/player/fan for ridiculous behavior and the next day it's an article about how poor the officiating was...no mention that the other team was fouling more
    I am working on being a more all around square.

I'd like to see something change on charging/blocking fouls. Would like to see "close calls" be "no calls" and would like to see situations where an embellishment or flops can be used to cancel out legitimate offensive fouls (if not egregious).
    Good Referring has a saying. Call the obvious. Stay away from the 50-50 calls and NEVER guess

If we could get stripes to live by those guidelines college basketball would be enhanced imo
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Yes I do... but unfortunately very few people know what a foul actually is.... and the style of play in the NBA has trickled down and in the process given referees at all levels the impetus to be subjective with the rules... the loss to TT was a prime example.... tough defense my azz.... bad subjective refereeing, yeah our offense went kaput but had the game been called by the actual rules the Zags would have won it at the foul line and no one will convince me otherwise... watched it too many times... plain and simple it was a mugging from about 4 to 5 minutes in...

Go!! Zags!!!

I used to talk regularly at my gym with a guy named Ron Goodman, who was a running back on Notre Dame's natl champ fb team in 1973, but I think bb was his first love. He played rec ball w/ ex-Sonics and the like into his 40's, coached in the youth program at Mercer Island, and reffed hs ball for a long time.

In his words, football used to be a contact sport, and now it's a collision sport. Basketball used to be a non contact sport, and now it's a contact sport.

As to the TT game, I agree it was nonstop mugging.