Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball Rule Changes

Default College Basketball Rule Changes

Men’s college basketball 3-point line extended to international distance

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...mpression=true

"Due to the potential financial impact of placing a new line on courts, the new 3 pt. line will go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II & III."

Say what??????????????
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    "Due to the potential financial impact of placing a new line on courts, the new 3 pt. line will go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II & III."

Say what??????????????
    Apparently the paint is too expensive for those poor D2 and D3 schools.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Say what??????????????
    Not sure the concern you have? Those lower level teams likely have much tighter budgets to work with whereas it's nothing for D1 teams. In any case, I like the new rules personally.

20 second offensive rebound shot clock. I like that a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Lookin' at you St Marys.

Agreed. Good change of pace rule.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Apparently the paint is too expensive for those poor D2 and D3 schools.
    have you looked into the cost of stripping a line, adding a line then redoing the laquer on the floor?????????not excatly cheap and for schools who have a tight budget is an expense that is not planned and they need time to add into project budgets
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I'd like to see something change on charging/blocking fouls. Would like to see "close calls" be "no calls" and would like to see situations where an embellishment or flops can be used to cancel out legitimate offensive fouls (if not egregious).

Also, a memo should go out to referees that says, even if you're in the last 30 seconds of a game, make sure you call a foul only if the player actually fouls. More and more, there are situations where one team runs up to a guy and just puts a hand on the other player's chest. That's not really a foul. Make a basketball play and foul the guy. Refs shouldn't bail out teams and call thoughtless fouls when the call would never be a foul if it happened in the first 30 seconds of the game.

Also take a 2d look at those crucial late game, foot on the line, rather Tar Heel on the line, calls.

•Coaches will be allowed to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Previously, coaches weren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.
    There should be no live ball time outs at all in the game of college basketball. Coaches or players. If Tom Brady is being chased by 2 LB's, he doesn't get to call a timeout to avoid getting sacked. Basketball is one of the only games that allows for this nonsense. If a player finds himself trapped by defenders in the corner, he should have to find a way out of it himself.

They should go back to the old rules they had for the charges and blocks. They had them in place for ONE season, but the stupid rules committee went back to the old rules, leading to more flopping. Once again, coaches introducing more physicality into the game and lower scores. The rule they junked after one year was this: once an offensive player picks up the ball off the floor with the intent of making a play (to shoot or pass), no secondary defender should be able to take a charge. Automatic blocking call. NO exceptions. Any such player is not defending. They are trying to bail his team out for bad defense.
    Last edited by CDC84; 06-05-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Also, a memo should go out to referees that says, even if you're in the last 30 seconds of a game, make sure you call a foul only if the player actually fouls. More and more, there are situations where one team runs up to a guy and just puts a hand on the other player's chest. That's not really a foul. Make a basketball play and foul the guy. Refs shouldn't bail out teams and call thoughtless fouls when the call would never be a foul if it happened in the first 30 seconds of the game.
    Funny enough, Mark Few feels the opposite. Well, to a degree. One of his big issues with the refs, for Mark, is that they are not quick enough in calling such fouls. I think it was the Creighton game this past season.....Rui was getting hammered, and it took about 10 seconds of Few yelling "they WANT to foul him." Few feels it is a player safety issue, for one. But moreover, he feels the refs, just like coaches and players, should be paying attention to time and score. The other team MUST foul. That's the situation. That's where the action is happening. Yes, it needs to be a genuine foul, but they cannot be officiating the game like it's 10-10 with 12 minutes left in the 1st half. At 10-10 in the first half, you never have players intentionally fouling guys because they will lose if they don't.

Few also spoke about this issue when Robert Sacre drew that enormously controversial technical for swinging his elbows after a rebound during a game at USF. The USF dudes fouled him 5x before Rob accidentally used his elbow. Few went to monitor, shook his finger and told Heister on TV, "See, you can see Rex Walters BEGGING his players to foul Rob as soon as possible. The longer this goes on, the more likely you see hurt players, elbows flying. Everyone on the court wants Rob to be fouled. I want him fouled because he's one of our best foul shooters. Now if no one is doing it that's one thing, but you can see 5 instances of it before Rob gets the T." Few was infuriated. I think this bothers him as much as any rule in the game.

The number one rule change that needs to happen in college basketball is this one: during ALL REPLAY SITUATIONS, the players should not be able to gather around their benches. The 5 visiting players should have to stand at the baseline of the home team; the home players should have to stand at the baseline of the visiting team. There have been several situations - some in the NCAA tourney - where coaches with no timeouts have been able to draw up game winning plays.

I feel this rule needs to be changed more than any single rule in any sport. It is horrible. Replay situations are not a free timeout.

I am also very close to eradicating instant replay in all sports. The point of reply was to reverse egregiously bad calls. However, as we have seen in a number of sports, the refs still choose the egregiously bad call. Also, an egregiously bad call is one where all I need is two replays at whatever angle to determine that the call must be overturned. They are taking way too much time. There desperately needs to be a time limit. Games are taking too long to finish. It's awful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    have you looked into the cost of stripping a line, adding a line then redoing the laquer on the floor?????????not excatly cheap and for schools who have a tight budget is an expense that is not planned and they need time to add into project budgets

O.K., thanks Hoop; that's what I wasn't understanding. Wasn't taking into account that there was lacquer OVER the top of these things. That makes it a bit more "parts" & labor intensive, doesn't it?
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

O.K., thanks Hoop; that's what I wasn't understanding. Wasn't taking into account that there was lacquer OVER the top of these things. That makes it a bit more "parts" & labor intensive, doesn't it?
    I oversaw our high school gym remake and we spent over 15,000 dollars despite some volunteer hours donated....not a cheap thing when you have d3 programs with less than 1.5 million dollar athletic budgets to ensure engagement in 18 sports

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The number one rule change that needs to happen in college basketball is this one: during ALL REPLAY SITUATIONS, the players should not be able to gather around their benches. The 5 visiting players should have to stand at the baseline of the home team; the home players should have to stand at the baseline of the visiting team. There have been several situations - some in the NCAA tourney - where coaches with no timeouts have been able to draw up game winning plays.

I feel this rule needs to be changed more than any single rule in any sport. It is horrible. Replay situations are not a free timeout.

I am also very close to eradicating instant replay in all sports. The point of reply was to reverse egregiously bad calls. However, as we have seen in a number of sports, the refs still choose the egregiously bad call. Also, an egregiously bad call is one where all I need is two replays at whatever angle to determine that the call must be overturned. They are taking way too much time. There desperately needs to be a time limit. Games are taking too long to finish. It's awful to watch.
    100% agree......

except putting hand in someons chest IS a foul

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Funny enough, Mark Few feels the opposite. Well, to a degree. One of his big issues with the refs, for Mark, is that they are not quick enough in calling such fouls. I think it was the Creighton game this past season.....Rui was getting hammered, and it took about 10 seconds of Few yelling "they WANT to foul him." Few feels it is a player safety issue, for one. But moreover, he feels the refs, just like coaches and players, should be paying attention to time and score. The other team MUST foul. That's the situation. That's where the action is happening. Yes, it needs to be a genuine foul, but they cannot be officiating the game like it's 10-10 with 12 minutes left in the 1st half. At 10-10 in the first half, you never have players intentionally fouling guys because they will lose if they don't.

Few also spoke about this issue when Robert Sacre drew that enormously controversial technical for swinging his elbows after a rebound during a game at USF. The USF dudes fouled him 5x before Rob accidentally used his elbow. Few went to monitor, shook his finger and told Heister on TV, "See, you can see Rex Walters BEGGING his players to foul Rob as soon as possible. The longer this goes on, the more likely you see hurt players, elbows flying. Everyone on the court wants Rob to be fouled. I want him fouled because he's one of our best foul shooters. Now if no one is doing it that's one thing, but you can see 5 instances of it before Rob gets the T." Few was infuriated. I think this bothers him as much as any rule in the game.
    well said, and I'm with Few 100%. Player safety issue, was going to make that case, but you already did

I don't think you should be able to call a time out after a made basket. The other team should be able to take the ball and put it into play. Enforcing the coaching box also would be nice.

Yes that is a foul, the only time a defensive players hand can touch an offensive player by rule is on the hand if the offensive players hand is on the ball. All hand checks are fouls by rule... both on offense and defense... the game has turned into rugby on hardwood... IMO Subjective refereeing has ruined the offensive beauty of basketball... defense is played with the body and feet... not the grabbing, slapping "they ain't gonna call them all boys" style played by some teams...

Go!! Zags!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I'm not looking for more rules, but I would also like to see a little more done to reduce flopping (even though it's probably worse in the NBA), and also the fouls called where the shooter literally jumps into the defender just to pick up the foul (the obvious ones).
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    I'm not looking for more rules, but I would also like to see a little more done to reduce flopping (even though it's probably worse in the NBA), and also the fouls called where the shooter literally jumps into the defender just to pick up the foul (the obvious ones).
    This too. It's obviously OK to pump fake, draw in an overeager defender, jump up and shoot into the defender. That's a foul and a good basketball play. When shooters are going sideways or kicking their legs out, those should be non-calls, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Yes that is a foul, the only time a defensive players hand can touch an offensive player by rule is on the hand if the offensive players hand is on the ball. All hand checks are fouls by rule... both on offense and defense... the game has turned into rugby on hardwood... IMO Subjective refereeing has ruined the offensive beauty of basketball... defense is played with the body and feet... not the grabbing, slapping "they ain't gonna call them all boys" style played by some teams...

Go!! Zags!!
    Maybe a poor example, but I presume you understand the main point.

Maybe a poor example, but I presume you understand the main point.
    Yes I do... but unfortunately very few people know what a foul actually is.... and the style of play in the NBA has trickled down and in the process given referees at all levels the impetus to be subjective with the rules... the loss to TT was a prime example.... tough defense my azz.... bad subjective refereeing, yeah our offense went kaput but had the game been called by the actual rules the Zags would have won it at the foul line and no one will convince me otherwise... watched it too many times... plain and simple it was a mugging from about 4 to 5 minutes in...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"