Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch List for top Julius Erving Award candidates -- Kispert on the list

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So what you are saying is that he might start and will get from 5 to 30 minutes a game. 0-14 points and 0-4 rebounds plus 0-4 assists.

Pretty ballsy predictions for someone trying to correct mine.
    lol. yeah. "10-14 ppg", "he starts", and "a little below 30 mpg" becoming "0-14 ppg", "might start", and "5-30 minutes" is one of the more creative interpretations i've seen.

and my goal isn't to be ballsy. my goal is to be as reasonable and close to right as possible, and not make up stuff just to fill out a post, or pretend to have a clue (which i don't for assists and rebounds, at least not to any useful specificity).

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    lol. yeah. "10-14 ppg", "he starts", and "a little below 30 mpg" becoming "0-14 ppg", "might start", and "5-30 minutes" is one of the more creative interpretations i've seen.

and my goal isn't to be ballsy. my goal is to be as close to right as possible, and not make up stuff just to fill out a post, or pretend to have a clue (which i don't for assists and rebounds, at least not to any useful specificity).
    So why do you have to rag on my GUESS (clearly stated as such)? If you have a response, or a prediction, make it. Otherwise, I don't really need your c**p.

Have a nice, if somewhat misguided, day.

And by NOT making a prediction, you are close to nothing.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Will - he wasn't making it personal.
    He was pointing out how incredibly rare it has been for any Zag to put up 15 points per game.

No need to be heated.

So why do you have to rag on my GUESS (clearly stated as such)? If you have a response, or a prediction, make it. Otherwise, I don't really need your c**p.

Have a nice, if somewhat misguided, day.

And by NOT making a prediction, you are close to nothing.
    You know what? Never mind. You are my very small ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    He was pointing out how incredibly rare it has been for any Zag to put up 15 points per game.

No need to be heated.
    It isn't the first time he has disagreed with my opinion. My opinions may be wrong, but they are mine.

The question asked was where we thought CK would fall this year. I clearly called mine a guess. Yes, he pointed out how rare the 15 ppg have been, and I pointed out that there are fewer returning players and no redshirt players and that CK was the starter as a Frosh over a RS Norvell before he hurt his ankle.

His only 'guess' was a vague, 'a bunch of guys at 10-14'. He wouldn't actually express a genuine prediction because he wants to be right and not guess.

Sorry, rant over. I blocked him so I don't/won't have to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    You mentioned Corey's High School coach a couple of times. I'm not sure why and I have no idea what his h.s. coach had to say about him.
    I was using high school in reference to CK's High school years and team he was on during his time in high school. I should have been more clear.

Was CK the best player on that team during his years? How many years was he a member? He broke his foot over Christmas of his 12th grade year, and according to CK's initial thread (love Reborn's post) he played for multiple AAU teams. So how long was he playing on the FOH team under your coach friend?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

No need to be heated.
    thanks ltown. truly, i wasn't trying to give anyone crap or make it personal. will, if you ever see this-- i'm sorry if i came across that way. was just providing some context for the discussion. tho i quoted will, the post wasn't any more for him than anyone else in here... he was just the first to throw out a number that high which triggered my curiosity about how many times (and when) we've seen that recently.

that being said, based on the way that whole interaction went, it's probably for the best that he blocked me. i'm good with that. i'll still comment on stuff, but can skip the back-and-forth.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I'm guessing Cory will start. Due to the talent we have coming in, I'd guess he'll get about 20+ minutes a game as he has when playing healthy. His career numbers are FG% 460, 3% 351, FT% 667 and about 4 rebounds per game. He doesn't draw many fouls but I would hope he puts up a few more shots and averages 10-12 points per game. That would be solid.
    Ya think?

You mentioned Corey's High School coach a couple of times. I'm not sure why and I have no idea what his h.s. coach had to say about him.

I thought I was clear that it was his AAU coach (even named the team ... "FOH" "Friends of Hoops"). Corey is the first FOH kid to come to Gonzaga straight out of high school. McDonald's All American Micah Downs transferred to Gonzaga after beginning his career at Kansas.

As for being the best on his AAU team .... here's a link naming the FOH alumni . https://www.fohseattle.com/alumni/. His AAU coach (my friend/colleague) was used to talking to coaches about his kids ... and it'd be shocking if he ever "hyped" a guy over and above stating his talents/demeanor, etc. In actuality he is the exact opposite of somebody "highly motivated and biased".

I'll list a few of Corey's fellow FOH alumni (i.e. his peers). I know you weren't following basketball way back in the "Olynyk" GU era .... but these guys are recognizable names in the game of basketball.

Former Friends of Hoops players -

Martell Webster - 6th pick in the NBA draft
    Jamal Crawford - 8th pick in the NBA draft
    Spencer Hawes - 10th pick in the NBA draft
    Zach LaVine - 13th pick in the NBA draft and former Zag recruit
    Nate Robinson - 21st pick in the NBA draft
    Joe Harris - 33rd pick in the NBA draft
    Isaiah Thomas - multi year NBA All Star
    Jon Brockman - multi year All Pac 12 -- multi year NBA and former Zag recruit

Again ... here's what the guy (Kispert's AAU coach) had to say to the h.c. of one of college basketball's Top 3-5 programs ...
    Thanks, GZ. Cool to hear CK’s former AAU coach spoke so highly of him and that his prediction for Kispert’s college career is right on schedule. I’m really looking forward to his junior season. Wonder how much he can improve his handles and quickness this offseason because if he could earn minutes at the SG spot I’d love to see him play alongside Watson at the 3 and Tillie at the 4. Imagine: Gilder, Kispert, Watson, Tillie, Timmie.... lot of length
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

no Rui, no BC, no Zach, no Josh...that's a lot of shots and on-ball time out the door. How Few and co. use CK with the newly available minutes and shots and all the rest will give him the chance to do things and step up. Does he? I don't know, but I'd bet he gets the opportunity to take many more shots and be much more integral to the O. Not just a spot up shooter off the ball while others operate like before, but instead plays actually run for him and screens off the ball and weak side, post ups and elbow touches vs. the right matchups, curls off the wing, etc. CK has made a lot of tough clutch baskets and has been awesome supporting his teammates. Is it his turn to be the man, or one of them at least?

we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    no Rui, no BC, no Zach, no Josh...that's a lot of shots and on-ball time out the door. How Few and co. use CK with the newly available minutes and shots and all the rest will give him the chance to do things and step up. Does he? I don't know, but I'd bet he gets the opportunity to take many more shots and be much more integral to the O. Not just a spot up shooter off the ball while others operate like before, but instead plays actually run for him and screens off the ball and weak side, post ups and elbow touches vs. the right matchups, curls off the wing, etc. CK has made a lot of tough clutch baskets and has been awesome supporting his teammates. Is it his turn to be the man, or one of them at least?

we'll see
    I think it is, and yes, we'll see.

thanks ltown. truly, i wasn't trying to give anyone crap or make it personal. will, if you ever see this-- i'm sorry if i came across that way. was just providing some context for the discussion. tho i quoted will, the post wasn't any more for him than anyone else in here... he was just the first to throw out a number that high which triggered my curiosity about how many times (and when) we've seen that recently.

that being said, based on the way that whole interaction went, it's probably for the best that he blocked me. i'm good with that. i'll still comment on stuff, but can skip the back-and-forth.
    If I quote this Will might see it and perhaps take you off the ignore list. It didn’t seem like a personal attack to me either, at least it didn’t start out that way. However, it was starting to look like Spy vs. [insert anyone who disagrees with Spy here].
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I think it is, and yes, we'll see.
    I think it is too but can't crystal ball it like others here. Haven't even seen any of the new guys ever play! Simply don't have the data to form an opinion, yet. hence, we'll (I'll) see

CK kind of reminds me of Pendo in the sense that as the program evolved, and opportunities arose over his years at GU, Few went to him, and being an upperclassmen does bring key important elements to the table in this college bball equation thing evidently. I'm not saying CK is Pendo, or that his game is Pendo's, just to be clear, but think his role as leader is key along with his game, like Pendo

The roster isn't even full yet and how the new guys will pan out is a total unknown. But I would say Cory has the best shot at starting at the 3 based on his performance to date. He's a stand up guy, great team player, and I love his jump shot. He's solid and unflappable. But he will have some serious competition (I hope) ---possibly even from an unknown new comer. Can Watson and Timme also play the 3? Probably. Few has lots of good pieces and interesting line ups to experiment with. Another fun year in store.

Curious as to your thoughts about Kelly Olynyk after his sophomore season. Or Dan Dickau after his sophomore season at Washington.

As I reported here at the time, I was in the car with Corey’s AAU (FOH) coach while he was on the phone with an iconic college coach (ACC) during recruiting. This is almost verbatim as to what was said.

“I’ll say the same thing that I said to you about Joe Harris. He will be with you four years. His Junior and Senior Year’s he will be All Conference. And he will make somebody’s All American team.”

So you can take your Kyle Dranginis (who was a GREAT Zag btw) example of Kispert’s upside and I will take Joe Harris (who Corey’s coach also had)

I believe Corey Kispert has earned his place on the Julius Erving watch list. And perhaps this ties to Tommy’s mantra that folks only know about 5 percent of what’s going on ... but despite Kispert’s Final list of Virginia, Notre Dame and Gonzaga ... he could have gone anywhere in the country out of high school. Anywhere (at least according to his AAU coach).
    I remember watching him for the first time in a tournament he played in Seattle with "PROS" and he fit right in and at that time, I stated he was going to be an excellent player...in fact if memory serves, I said he would be a starter his freshman year which he was until he was injured playing in Portland.

From what I see he endeavors to excel taking his physical gifts and maximizing them where he can...there were many on here that stated his dense was lacking but from what I saw, he was pretty decent on both sides of the court. He was the 4th or 5th option on the court much the same way Dranginis was but IMO he will be called upon to increase his looks on the offencive end of the court this coming season...I think he will be the anchor on this team...

I believe he deserves this opportunity and have no doubts that he will shine!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    If I quote this Will might see it and perhaps take you off the ignore list. It didn’t seem like a personal attack to me either, at least it didn’t start out that way. However, it was starting to look like Spy vs. [insert anyone who disagrees with Spy here].
    i appreciate it. but seriously, if he's that upset that i disagreed with one of his opinions for a second time in a week and didn't want to make up a random prediction-- we're all probably better off if he keeps me on ignore. i am not offended or bothered by that at all.

i just really hope i'm not the one in the role of spy here. i was mostly just trying to respond to his direct questions after my first post. apparently there was more going on in that little convo than i understood at the time. either way, ready to move on from that whole thing.

i appreciate it. but seriously, if he's that upset that i disagreed with one of his opinions for a second time in a week and didn't want to make up a random prediction-- we're all probably better off if he keeps me on ignore. i am not offended or bothered by that at all.

i just really hope i'm not the one in the role of spy here. i was mostly just trying to respond to his direct questions after my first post. apparently there was more going on in that little convo than i understood at the time. either way, ready to move on from that whole thing.
    FWIW I thought your post was (as usual) in the realm of reasonable, rational discussion, and not offensive in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    NCAA March Madness

Verified account

@marchmadness
    10m10 minutes ago
    More
    Top #ErvingAward Candidates from @TheAndyKatz:

1. Jordan Nwora
    2. Yoeli Childs
    3. Josh Langford
    4. Naji Marshall
    5. Tres Tinkle
    6. Scottie Lewis
    7. Anthony Lamb
    8. Corey Kispert
    9. Nojel Eastern
    10. Rex Pflueger
    11. Xavier Sneed

"8. Corey Kispert, Jr., Gonzaga: The Zags ultimate glue guy will now have a more featured role. Kispert will expand his game and deliver with more shot opportunities."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...s-erving-award
    Has Yoeli Childs played a single career minute as a small forward? He’s an excellent player and deserves preseason recognition, but he’s more of power forward or center.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

soccerdud, I didn’t want to risk offending anyone, but since you brought it up, you were not Spy.

And I think Cory turns it up a great deal this season!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Has Yoeli Childs played a single career minute as a small forward? He’s an excellent player and deserves preseason recognition, but he’s more of power forward or center.
    Yoeli Childs has probably played as many minutes as a small forward as last year's winner of the Award (Rui) did.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ