• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Fr. Robert Spitzer in Dallas, 7/18/2019

Saw this at our local Catholic bookstore yesterday, after church...it's next to a restaurant we frequent after Mass.

I plan on attending.
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Apologies for not updating this thread. It's a bit hectic in the TZF household, what with my oldest son's upcoming nuptials in early September.

As usual, Fr. Spitzer gave an inspiring speech in front of approximately 500 at the Friends of Flight Museum. His topic was on suffering, and how it leads to salvation. There's a ton of info posted at www.magiscenter.com, it's a great resource.

I wish I'd had more time to talk with him...we spent about 5 minutes together before the start of his presentation, much of it reminiscing about our days in Black Dan's classes. No doubt his grades were far better than mine.

I was also able to (very) briefly thank him for his discussion of agape love in his book Healing the Culture. It got me through a situation in my 6th grade class two years ago. The entire curriculum had been changed, as the parish priest wanted to get the kids to focus on evangelization: out with the Old Testament (which was the curriculum for my first 20 years).

Anyhow, when I arrived that fateful evening, I was advised that I was the only teacher to appear that night. Our two classes were combined...the prospect of dealing with 30+ 12 YOs was fraught with peril...lol. There was an introductory 8 minute video, which allowed me to review the portion of Fr. Spitzer's discussion on the hierarchy of love. I also recalled the presentation he gave in Hughes Auditorium on the subject during our 25th reunion in 2001.

It turned out very well, such that my students were attentive for about 30 minutes, and their questions were excellent.

I was thankful to have the chance to convey my thanks to Fr. Spitzer, for getting me through that evening in grand style.

Comment

Working...
    X