Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Playing Watson at the 2 is also a joke. I understand. People don't have anything better to do; so they post a blog, any blog about any insane idea and we HAVE to read it.......wow!!!
    I’m thinking it would probably be helpful if you stuck to explaining why you think Watson at the two is a bad idea in your opinion instead of denigrating folks that love the Zags as much as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Aw come on, Reborn, it’s summer time. Ridiculous line ups and uninformed conjecture is pretty much all there is right now.
    Pretty much the same thing I said. I guess I don't have to come on line here to read them....
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I’m thinking it would probably be helpful if you stuck to explaining why you think Watson at the two is a bad idea in your opinion instead of denigrating folks that love the Zags as much as you do.
    It seems pretty obvious to me.

It might be the best thing is to look at the best 8 or 9 kids since "starting" in Few's system means very little. Avoids insults and oddball opinions.
    Every year many pick a "starting 5" thinking these are the best players of course should start. Well, that's not the case. And I doubt it ever has been the case.

Opponent bring different strong points and weaker points. We usually figure out a way to beat some group and their coach's schema. Pick 8 or 9 kids since those players will play 10-30 mins depending on the circumstances. And I'm feeling extra smart right now as I'm watching Mission Impossible III which was the best of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    It might be the best thing is to look at the best 8 or 9 kids since "starting" in Few's system means very little. Avoids insults and oddball opinions.
    Every year many pick a "starting 5" thinking these are the best players of course should start. Well, that's not the case. And I doubt it ever has been the case.

Opponent bring different strong points and weaker points. We usually figure out a way to beat some group and their coach's schema. Pick 8 or 9 kids since those players will play 10-30 mins depending on the circumstances. And I'm feeling extra smart right now as I'm watching Mission Impossible III which was the best of the series.
    MI movies nowhere near as good as the TV series. IMO, of course.

Yes Tex. There’s that

After reading through this thread, I have come to the conclusion that it is gonna be a rough year.

For every season in the last decade, ask yourself who was the best returning player on that given team. Whoever it is, he is better than the consensus best player on this current team.

Almost every team is going through this to some degree though. Mass exodus of players throughout college hoops.
    I miss Mike Hart

No worries Mick. We got talent and we’ve A great coach to make our guys fit. It’ll be an interesting season though. Not like any others.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    After reading through this thread, I have come to the conclusion that it is gonna be a rough year.

For every season in the last decade, ask yourself who was the best returning player on that given team. Whoever it is, he is better than the consensus best player on this current team.

Almost every team is going through this to some degree though. Mass exodus of players throughout college hoops.

Also overlooked - we have no redshirt players waiting to join the playing team for the first season in ...? A decade?

Think how amazing it has been to have high level guys who have practiced/trained/coached with the team for a year and change:

Perkins, Wiltjer, JW3, Clarke, Olynyk, EMac...

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Also overlooked - we have no redshirt players waiting to join the playing team for the first season in ...? A decade?

Think how amazing it has been to have high level guys who have practiced/trained/coached with the team for a year and change:

Perkins, Wiltjer, JW3, Clarke, Olynyk, EMac...
    But....looking at the bright side of things, we have never had an incoming class with so much talent. It's the #1 or #2 recruiting class in America; so obviously there is some really "great" players in this class. Things have changed at GU. We really can't look at things the way we used to. Things like, we don't have any elite players coming back like we used to. Or we don't have a good point guard who can run this team. Or whatever negative thing we can think of.

I am so excited about next year's team. I can hardly wait to see these guys play. First of all Tillie could be an All American. That's pretty elite. He is going to be so important and will be a great leader, especially for the Europeans (and there are some really, really good ones coming in). Contrary to what so many think, I believe Kispert is like a budding flower ready to bloom. Like Tillie, he will really help the new guys learn what it means to be a Zag. Ayayi and Foster will do the same thing. This truly is the key. Will this team develop the chemistry and cohesion that is necessary to be a great team? I feel it will. I believe this because there are so many Zags who have gone before them, who have put on those uniforms just as they will, who will help them understand what it means to wear a Zag uniform. Playing like Zags play is the key. There is plenty of talent on this team. As much as ever. Will this talent mature by March? Me thinks so. Why? Because they are Zags.

Tillie, Kispert, Gilder, Timme, Ravet, Watson, Petrusev, Ayayi, WITH Ballo, Zakharov and Arlauskas fighting with everything they have, hoping to get playing time on the court during games. Graduate Transfers have become an important part to the success of the Zags recently. I expect Gilder to fill that role beautifully. I can hardly wait to see him play in a Zag uni. He has a lot of experience in D1 basketball and that experience will help mold this team. There is one more scholarship that is waiting to be given to someone. I assume it's going to be a guard. Maybe Thornton or Nix.

The talent is definitely there. and we have the best coaches around to develop this group into a very, very good Gonzaga basketball team. Yes. I'm excited and positive.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No worries Mick. We got talent and we’ve A great coach to make our guys fit. It’ll be an interesting season though. Not like any others.
    What Abe said. Got faith in the coaching staff. Should be a fun ride
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Not sure where to put this?
    Pangos Camp recent results which includes some of your players and some SMC Commits and about 3 guys SMC has offered.
    Compliments of Chico State Geezer of GIAG.

https://www.prepcircuit.com/news_article/show/1025586

But....looking at the bright side of things, we have never had an incoming class with so much talent. It's the #1 or #2 recruiting class in America; so obviously there is some really "great" players in this class. Things have changed at GU. We really can't look at things the way we used to. Things like, we don't have any elite players coming back like we used to. Or we don't have a good point guard who can run this team. Or whatever negative thing we can think of.

I am so excited about next year's team. I can hardly wait to see these guys play. First of all Tillie could be an All American. That's pretty elite. He is going to be so important and will be a great leader, especially for the Europeans (and there are some really, really good ones coming in). Contrary to what so many think, I believe Kispert is like a budding flower ready to bloom. Like Tillie, he will really help the new guys learn what it means to be a Zag. Ayayi and Foster will do the same thing. This truly is the key. Will this team develop the chemistry and cohesion that is necessary to be a great team? I feel it will. I believe this because there are so many Zags who have gone before them, who have put on those uniforms just as they will, who will help them understand what it means to wear a Zag uniform. Playing like Zags play is the key. There is plenty of talent on this team. As much as ever. Will this talent mature by March? Me thinks so. Why? Because they are Zags.

Tillie, Kispert, Gilder, Timme, Ravet, Watson, Petrusev, Ayayi, WITH Ballo, Zakharov and Arlauskas fighting with everything they have, hoping to get playing time on the court during games. Graduate Transfers have become an important part to the success of the Zags recently. I expect Gilder to fill that role beautifully. I can hardly wait to see him play in a Zag uni. He has a lot of experience in D1 basketball and that experience will help mold this team. There is one more scholarship that is waiting to be given to someone. I assume it's going to be a guard. Maybe Thornton or Nix.

The talent is definitely there. and we have the best coaches around to develop this group into a very, very good Gonzaga basketball team. Yes. I'm excited and positive.
    I agree. I'm excited about next season as well. I think the incoming class is the equal of Collins/Tillie/Norvell/Rui/Larsen.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I agree. I'm excited about next season as well. I think the incoming class is the equal of Collins/Tillie/Norvell/Rui/Larsen.
    Just when we thought next year was going to be bumpy, recent events have recast the Zags as a potential top 10 team. IMO, of course.

To me, a large part hinges on the health of Messrs. Tillie and Gilder. I'm expecting Corey to step up as well. Add one more stud grad transfer, and all bets are off.

Al McGuire...." The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores "..... sometimes...I might add...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Not sure where to put this?
    Pangos Camp recent results which includes some of your players and some SMC Commits and about 3 guys SMC has offered.
    Compliments of Chico State Geezer of GIAG.

https://www.prepcircuit.com/news_article/show/1025586
    thanks, don.

Just so people are not misled.. we do not have the "#1 or #2 recruiting class in America". No recruiting service has us ranked as such.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Just so people are not misled.. we do not have the "#1 or #2 recruiting class in America". No recruiting service has us ranked as such.
    Currently listed as #12.... #1 for 2020... which will be solidified by signing Suggs.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    We're #12 according to ESPN, so I'm thinking Reborn left out the first digit.

Consider this: 2016 was the only other year where we cracked the top 25, at #23. And that class could have 4 players drafted by the NBA. 2019 has a mountain to climb in comparison. As we all know, 2020 if off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Currently listed as #12.... #1 for 2020... which will be solidified by signing Suggs.
    12th on 247 for 2019, but third on Rivals. Seventh on a bleacher report ranking.

12th on 247 for 2019, but third on Rivals. Seventh on a bleacher report ranking.
    I'd take Rivals and BR with big grains of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    We're #12 according to ESPN, so I'm thinking Reborn left out the first digit.

Consider this: 2016 was the only other year where we cracked the top 25, at #23. And that class could have 4 players drafted by the NBA. 2019 has a mountain to climb in comparison. As we all know, 2020 if off to a great start.
    Ha ha ha I thought this years team was the 2020 team.... anyway #12 is pretty good.

Rivals has always been my favorite site for ranking recruits....Mmmm 3rd on Rivals... Getting closer to #1 or 2 every hour....Ha ha ha Well is it possible for me to put out knowledge of recruiting class at let the sports world I think the Zags are #1 Or #2.......hahahahaha haha ha Just joking friends...

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    true. 247 has a class calculator tool, so just for fun i added Suggs and Kessler. that 4-man recruiting class would have 2 top-20 commits, 4 top-50 and a composite score of 68.67. this score would slot us in at #5 (between duke and 'nova) in the '19 recruiting rankings.

not a lot of diagnostic value there, but i was curious.

Default 2019-20 Starting 5

Thornton, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie and Petrusev comprise my starting 5. And I am thinking this group of guys will be on the floor at the end of a lot of games as well.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ