Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 starters?

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Classy as always... but that being said... Kispert was actually playing rather well until his ankle injury that season. Was never the same that season after that.
    Statements like that from Jazz make me lose both patience and respect for him. There are times he truly sounds like an ignorant, east coast troll, and I get enough east coast bias from ESPN and other media types. I don't want, need or like it here. Hence my occasional vitriolic responses to him. I am probably on his ignore list, or he is too CS to respond.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Based on knowns:

Ravet
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tille
    Petrusev

Ayayi subs at the 1/2
    Timme subs at the 4/5. I think it is highly possibly Timme could be starting by the time WCC play comes around but Few leans on players that get the system.
    Zacharov subs at 4/5 less than Timme
    Anton subs at the 3/4
    Martynas subs in at the 3 as well.

If the Zags land Thorton... then he'd take the place of Brock and then Brock subs in
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    I'm surprised no one is talking about Kispert at the 2. Am I the only one who thinks that with a step up this summer he could take Norvell's spot at shooting guard? With him at the 2 we could start Watson at the 3.

This is how I hope it shakes out.

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Definitely could see it as a possibility if they don't land Thorton.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

I'm surprised no one is talking about Kispert at the 2. Am I the only one who thinks that with a step up this summer he could take Norvell's spot at shooting guard? With him at the 2 we could start Watson at the 3.

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Lineup lacking in playmaking. Kispert was 7th in assists per game on the team last year, behind Hachimura, Clarke, & Tillie

I think it's pretty straightforward on what will happen if you look at things historically.

With Thornton:

Starters: Tillie, Petrusev, Kispert, Gilder, Thornton
    Bench (main rotation): Timme, Watson, Ravet
    Bench (situational): Ayayi, Ballo
    Deep Bench/Possible RS: Foster, Arlauskas, and Zhakarov

Without Thornton

Starters: Tillie, Petrusev, Kispert, Gilder, Ravet
    Bench (main rotation): Timme, Watson, Ayayi
    Bench (situational): Ballo, Foster
    Deep Bench/Possible Redshirt: Arlauskas, Zhakarov

One caveat is that I have Arlauskas as deep bench/possible redshirt due to the all the time he missed this last year to injury. On Zhakarov, it's mainly because of the numbers ahead of him and the fact that I don't think they'd RS Ballo due to him being unlikely to be here four plus years.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    If there was, it was a terrible reason.
    Norvellís quick trigger could have been enough, as Kispert takes open shots within the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Statements like that from Jazz make me lose both patience and respect for him. There are times he truly sounds like an ignorant, east coast troll, and I get enough east coast bias from ESPN and other media types. I don't want, need or like it here. Hence my occasional vitriolic responses to him. I am probably on his ignore list, or he is too CS to respond.
    Highly doubt there is any cowardice involved. More likely he simply passes on the bait.

Classy as always... but that being said... Kispert was actually playing rather well until his ankle injury that season. Was never the same that season after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Highly doubt there is any cowardice involved. More likely he simply passes on the bait.
    This. I don’t know why people get so steamed over selected comments. We have nothing to say about anything if this cyber board. Nobody insults a player. It’s mostly imaginary. 5 months ahead team. Deep breathing helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    This. I don’t know why people get so steamed over selected comments. We have nothing to say about anything if this cyber board. Nobody insults a player. It’s mostly imaginary. 5 months ahead team. Deep breathing helps.
    Trust what Abe says, he's a physician, after all.

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Mentioned this weeks ago and spy bit my head off haha.

Well considering Jazz's comment was directed at a player in veiled form.. it was quite obvious that it was a shot at Cory. You want to consider it imaginary... by all means... but doesn't change the classlessness of the post.

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Kispert could start at the SG position but the problem is his feet are not quick enough to guard most SG's, which will create a miss-match on defence...that is unless he has learned how to catch chickens...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Kispert could start at the SG position but the problem is his feet are not quick enough to guard most SG's, which will create a miss-match on defence...that is unless he has learned how to catch chickens...
    I can see this... but defensively, if he is alongside Watson, they could conceivably switch on the defensive end

Well considering Jazz's comment was directed at a player in veiled form.. it was quite obvious that it was a shot at Cory. You want to consider it imaginary... by all means... but doesn't change the classlessness of the post.
    I'm just here for observing Jazz's cognitive dissonance.

He only takes a break from attacking Norvell and calling him "chux" to insert how clearly Norvell should have started over CK from Day 1.

[sarcasm]It's amazing that GU has fielded a half-decent program the last 2 years with those 2 on the court together... [/sarcasm]

I don't mind if a member criticizes a player's or a coach's abilities or performance but when you question their character that is imo reprehensible and cowardly …. I don't think you should ever say anything on a forum that you wouldn't say to a person one to one... and give them the opportunity to respond .

If we tolerate that or remain silent then we are guilty as well...

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Iím a fan of Kispertís game and see his ceiling as a Thunder Dan Majerle type of baller. Hope he has a big season ahead. Three reasons why I donít see him playing SG:
    1) As others have noted, not enough lateral quickness to D up guards
    2) Loose handles...seems like he got stripped of ball cleanly 33.3% of the time he drove into the lane
    3) Expecting a Great Leap Forward from Joel Ayayi, earning him backup SG role
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I'm as much a fan of Kispert as anyone, but I don't see him playing the two because he's not really a secondary ball handler at this level, and probably lacks the ability to guard twos at the high major level as mentioned by others.

IMO the lineup of Kispert at the 2 and Watson at the 3 would be vulnerable to both full court presses and extended/aggressive half court pressure defenses. If history is any indication, GU will start two pg's if they have them, or at least a pg and someone w/ combo abilities.

Put me in the Kispert at the 3 camp as well, except possibly very limited minutes when we have foul trouble.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I agree that playing Kispert at the 2 would require a huge jump forward for many of his skills, especially when it comes to defense and ball handling. But if he can improve those skills I think his height, strength, shooting abilities and jumping abilities would pose a mismatch for the players going up against him.

Year in and year out I'm continually surprised at how much of a jump some of our players make during the off season. We have some of the best basketball and strength coaches in the college game. I'm sure that Corey is working on his weaknesses and challenging himself just as much as our star players have. I hope he can make that jump as much as the players before him, especially considering next season his role on the team will be expanded and more will be expected of him. When he came in my hope for him was to develop himself into a Joe Harris type player.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

IMO KIspert will not play the two. He doesn't have the skills set. IMO he's a really good 3, and our best 3 point shooter, better than Norvell. IMO KIspert will be better than Norvell before he graduates or turns pro.

I'm still pulling for Ravet for starting at the point.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

"thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

I can see this... but defensively, if he is alongside Watson, they could conceivably switch on the defensive end
    I've not seen enough of Watson to ascertain whether or not he can or can't defend SG's BUT if he could defend SG's then play him at the SG and Kispert could remain as the SF...either way there would be nice mismatches when we would have the ball...an SG guarding Kispert and an SF Guarding Watson...hypothetical of course but the answer would be if Watson has foot speed to keep up with SG's...

Watson at the 2-spot could be helpful since we’re loaded with 4s and 5s. He can still spend time at the 3 and I’m sure he will do a lot of that anyway, but if can guard at the 2 that would be a big asset for us. Out of the newbies Timme and Watson are the two guys I think will be ready from day one.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Playing Watson at the 2 is also a joke. I understand. People don't have anything better to do; so they post a blog, any blog about any insane idea and we HAVE to read it.......wow!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Aw come on, Reborn, it’s summer time. Ridiculous line ups and uninformed conjecture is pretty much all there is right now.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!