Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 starters?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Thornton, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie and Petrusev comprise my starting 5. And I am thinking this group of guys will be on the floor at the end of a lot of games as well.
    ^ what he said^ )

I agree, at least to start. Will one of the freshmen come in and blow us away? Hard to say.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Thornton, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie and Petrusev comprise my starting 5. And I am thinking this group of guys will be on the floor at the end of a lot of games as well.
    If Tillie can stay healthy, this is a Top 15 team in the college hoops.

Expecting a big jump from Petrusev and Thornton.

Kispert will always be Kispert, hard nosed, smart, selfless, and valuable.

Tillie is my favorite Gonzaga player for past 3 yrs. He is a Lottery pick in my mind, again, if healthy.

His shooting, IQ, feel are off the charts.

Gilder and Thornton is the best defensive backcourt on West Coast, and Kispert showed VAST improvement in last 3 wks of season. Something clicked.

We just really need Thornton to commit.

Obviously the Incoming frosh are awesome as well, I just dont expect a huge splash by them til season's end and that includes Watson.

Have a feeling Timme may log the most mins of any Frosh next season, as his game is instant impact post moves and handles and motor.

Watson has next level skills yet feel he has a lot to learn on the consistency front, and still figuring out his versatility which will ultimately become a strength. He said in an interview last month he could see himself playing a little point guard through center. I love the dynamic ability yet learning multiple positions, what to do, and be trusted on the court could take him longer than some might expect out of him.

The rest will see spot minutes but be valuable contributors and flash a to of potential.

But wait......according to many posters, Ravet was supposed to be a lock to come in and shock the NCAA as a true freshman point guard-where is the love??? Now it's all Gilder and Thornton?? Believe me, I hope Ravet is a huge success at Gonzaga but I too will feel MUCH more confident in this teams potential and upside with two veterans at the guard positions. Panos was a rate exception when he stepped in as a freshman point guard.

I agree that many of the posters here do not and have not believed in Ravet. I have and I still do. I still believe Ravet is going to surprise many fans. And like you, I believe Gilder will really help. I'm not sure of Thornton right now. Mostly because he did not commit after the visit like so many recruits have done. Is he not interested? Or is it the coaching staff or players who are not?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I agree that many of the posters here do not and have not believed in Ravet. I have and I still do. I still believe Ravet is going to surprise many fans. And like you, I believe Gilder will really help. I'm not sure of Thornton right now. Mostly because he did not commit after the visit like so many recruits have done. Is he not interested? Or is it the coaching staff or players who are not?
    My thoughts completely.

I thought he would commit if offered. We don't know if he was offered so don't know if the staff/team wasn't comfortable, if he has different plans or if there is something else that we, the ones that only know 5%, are not aware of.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    But wait......according to many posters, Ravet was supposed to be a lock to come in and shock the NCAA as a true freshman point guard-where is the love??? .
    Please provide a link to any post that said this. Please.

I KNOW the staff felt he'd have gotten significant minutes in last year's rotation and that he's a "keeper", but that's a far cry from saying the kid would "shock the NCAA as a true freshman". So ... please provide a link. Thank you.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

If Petrusev is good enough to keep Timme out at the end of games as well, we are in good shape indeed. Not saying Petrol’s not that good, but many of us are expecting a huge showing from Timme.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I KNOW the staff felt he'd have gotten significant minutes in last year's rotation and that he's a "keeper", but that's a far cry from saying the kid would "shock the NCAA as a true freshman". So ... please provide a link. Thank you.
    To be fair, that would’ve been shocking had that happened on last year’s team.

Well, I have a whole thread I started asking the question if Ravet could be the answer at point guard as a freshman, acknowledging that it would be difficult but saying he has a chance.

It is inaccurate, in my opinion, to portray that thread or my thoughts about Ravet as saying that he was a lock for the position or that he was going to shock the NCAA.

I think my thread questioning whether or not Ravet could be the answer might be the strongest overt endorsement of Ravet on these boards.

So, I agree with you Gozags, that Plainsman post at best was an exageration of the pro Ravet sentiment, likely an intentional exageration.

Cute "joke" from Plainsman...not so cute and not so funny IMO. Not worth an argument or comment. Just kinda bad taste. Ravet will add a lot. Sometimes, when a kid is near local, he'll not be highly regarded. But when a kid is the highest scorer in the history of Wash St High School hoops, and when we've seen his skills, my opinion is that he should be highly regarded. No jokes, No mocks..toward him or to the members of the board who have supported Brock being a pretty special recruit. He's just an 18 yr old senior in HS. Given time he'll be a very good one. A note to add, he brings skill the "higher end" guard recuits don't quite seem to have. Like amazing scoring potential. Sometimes sarcasm is fun. I suppose this is much ado about nothing. <-- the end

Yes former1dog, the post was an intentional exaggeration-no one used the precise words "shock the NCAA" but there were many, many posters who said we didn't need a transfer point guard because Ravet would step right in as a freshman and run the team at a very high level (maybe he could-maybe he will). But I think even the most ardent Zag optimists would or should have to admit that the player who can step in as a true freshman at the point guard position, arguably the most demanding position in basketball, on a top 15 or 20 ranked team and be successful is very rare indeed. I am not good at "links" but posts saying Ravet was the immediate answer at point are scattered all over the site.

Oh, and MDABE80-what in my posts suggests I am mocking Ravet? I have stated in all my posts that I hope he fulfills the expectations the staff has obviously placed in him. I am not now or have I ever mocked a Zag player, unlike many frequent posters on this board have done (see many Josh Perkins threads). If I am mocking anyone, it is the posters who are quite overly optimistic that a true freshman is the answer to run next years team point. I love and follow the Zags just as much as every other poster on this site but try to be more realistic about true freshmen and the role they can realistically play on next years team. As for Brock, I hope we land an experienced point guard to give Brock time to learn and acclimatize to the college game. His chances for success will be greatly improved beginning his college experience in this situation. If the Zags don't land an experienced point guard, then I hope the optimism of Zag fans that feel Brock can fill the position is accurate. I will gladly admit I was wrong if that becomes the case.

Thanks for the clarifying post Plainsman. Much ado about not much! Best wishes...

Same to you MDA.

Yes former1dog, the post was an intentional exaggeration-no one used the precise words "shock the NCAA" but there were many, many posters who said we didn't need a transfer point guard because Ravet would step right in as a freshman and run the team at a very high level (maybe he could-maybe he will). But I think even the most ardent Zag optimists would or should have to admit that the player who can step in as a true freshman at the point guard position, arguably the most demanding position in basketball, on a top 15 or 20 ranked team and be successful is very rare indeed. I am not good at "links" but posts saying Ravet was the immediate answer at point are scattered all over the site.
    Plainsman,

Not to be overly argumentative, but I've followed the Ravet threads and posts pretty closely. I feel that I have been the tip of the spear in being a Ravet cheerleader and at the most optimistic, my posts say that Ravet could possibly be the starter if he overcomes his defensive issues and I predicted we would all be pleasantly surprised by late December.

Reborn might have been slightly more optimistic to me, but that would be a judgment call.

Beyond that, most of the tone of the posts about Ravet tend to be like yours that it would be a bit much to expect him to be a starter on our very good team. I think that is a reasonable position. I thought your position so reasonable that I put my premise that Ravet could start at PG as a question, rather than a statement.

Have a great day!

My take is more along the lines that those, like me, in the Ravet camp believe he's good enough to start and be effective. And there are plenty of examples- Stepp, Pangos, Bell, Gray, Bouldin. I think he's in that class, and I've seen all the W Wa Zag recruits since Morrison/Raivio. I don't think anyone said the Zags should stop recruiting at the position, or couldn't find someone who's better as of now.

So in this context, "need" is subjective. I don't think anyone said they didn't want to get someone more experienced or better. Just that they're comfortable with/confident in Ravet.

I am curious if the same people who believe Brock can or will start at PG as a true FR are also holding their breath waiting for Jalen to commit? Personally he reminds me of Jesse Wade(who I thought looked outstanding) but never materialized into a factor. However, when Suggs and Ravet matched up Brock came out on top. If Suggs commits who is starting PG when Brock is a SO?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    I am curious if the same people who believe Brock can or will start at PG as a true FR are also holding their breath waiting for Jalen to commit? Personally he reminds me of Jesse Wade(who I thought looked outstanding) but never materialized into a factor. However, when Suggs and Ravet matched up Brock came out on top. If Suggs commits who is starting PG when Brock is a SO?
    If Brock starts and is successful, Few may play 2 PG much of the time. As has been pointed out, it is not always who starts but who finishes, add to that the needs of the moment and it will sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If Brock starts and is successful, Few may play 2 PG much of the time. As has been pointed out, it is not always who starts but who finishes, add to that the needs of the moment and it will sort itself out.
    I definitely can see Few play two pgs in 2020 together: Harris and Suggs

Good post, Willandi. One thing we CAN count on is that Few and his staff will put together a team that is going to battle for championships. And win some. I'm trying to remember the year that Pangos and Bell were Freshmen. Who else played that year and how far did they get in the NCAA Tournament? Did they win the Conference Tournament?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I definitely can see Few play two pgs in 2020 together: Harris and Suggs
    Only if they beat out Ravet.

I did say "If Brock starts and is successful".

Reborn, GU has screwed up their website so it's really hard to find stats more than 3 years old. It used to be easy and really accessible. I had to go to Ken Pom to find the answer. Pangos and Bell were Fr in 2011. Also on the roster were Harris (Jr), Sacre (Sr) Dower (So), Spangler (Fr) Carter, Stockton (So), Edi, Monninghoff, and Hart (Jr). GU went 26-7. In NCAA GU beat WVA in game 1, and lost to OH ST. in game 2. That was the bonehead redshirt Olynyk year when he was the best player in the gym and would have been the best player on the team had he not red shirted. We would have beaten OH ST with Olynyk.

I forgot to add that GU beat St Mary's to win the conference tournament that year.

Nobody really knows, but my guess is that the staff has a decent idea. The starting lineup may well change after a few games into the season. Tillie is the only surefire lock!