Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 starters?

- ballo not red shirting is as I expected.
    - he is going to be on the same glide slope as rui
    - i.e. freshman year get limited minutes at end of games, adjust to new country, school, watch and learn. then spread his wings sophomore year, and soar to the heights junior year.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Oumar Ballo isn't planning to redshirt. From yesterday:
    I'd be surprised if any of our incoming Bigs redshirt.....I doubt any of them are here for 4 years.

- back to starting five predictions

- thornton (or if he does not commit, ravet)
    - gilder
    - kispert (2 yr starter, few will not start Watson or arlauskas ahead of him)
    - Tillie (most experienced and perhaps best player, the fix it guy as few calls him)
    - petrusev (I see few starting the most experience post player)

- this is not to say Watson might not be better than kispert, or that timmie and zahkarov won't turn out to be better than petrusev.......as the year progresses. in fact I fore see timmie and Watson playing as many if not a couple minutes more than kispert and petrusev, I just think given few's track record he will start kispert and petrusev. (apologies for any misspelled names)

I have a feeling some are going to be pleasantly surprised by Kispert next year. I love Watson and heíll be fantastic off the bench at the 3/4 but I just have a gut feeling Corey is going to explode.

As for Ayayi, a lot would have to change this offseason. From what Iíve heard, Few is not a fan of his game and never really was. He was always a project. We can all see the potential but itís time he puts it all together. Iíve also heard the staff likes, not loves, some things Foster brings to the table but I donít think there are high expectations there.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I have a feeling some are going to be pleasantly surprised by Kispert next year. I love Watson and he’ll be fantastic off the bench at the 3/4 but I just have a gut feeling Corey is going to explode.
    I agree. There was a reason that he started as a freshman instead of Zach Norvell, even after Norvell redshirted.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I have a feeling some are going to be pleasantly surprised by Kispert next year. I love Watson and heíll be fantastic off the bench at the 3/4 but I just have a gut feeling Corey is going to explode.

As for Ayayi, a lot would have to change this offseason. From what Iíve heard, Few is not a fan of his game and never really was. He was always a project. We can all see the potential but itís time he puts it all together. Iíve also heard the staff likes, not loves, some things Foster brings to the table but I donít think there are high expectations there.
    Even if GU lands a grad transfer pg, weíre still going to be light in that department, especially against physical teams or whistle-happy refs. Without a transfer, GU will be hurting.

One thing we all know is that Coach Few will continue to start his starters from last season...that being CK.

We all have opinions and they are all guess work...as are mine BUT unless Timme is the beast many think he is, then Filip will start with Tillie, CK and Gilder...don't know who the other guard will be at this time...it will be interesting to see how it plays out...
    Last edited by Bogozags; 05-30-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I see more Raivio in him than Pangos. But we’ll see.

At the same age (roughly) I think Dickau is a better comp than either.

Thornton if he comes, if not Ravet
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Timme
    Petrusev

Flex has THE lineup
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Flex has THE lineup
    Agree. Flex’s 2.0 lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. Flex’s 2.0 lineup.
    While those may be the 5 best players (Kispert instead of Thornton though imo) that will not be the starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I agree. There was a reason that he started as a freshman instead of Zach Norvell, even after Norvell redshirted.
    If there was, it was a terrible reason.

I will bet my salary that if Thornton comes here, Ravet is NOT starting over him.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Thornton (Ravet if no Thornton)
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

Timme (4) and Watson (3) super subs who earn 20 mpg or more
    Ravet and Ayayi earn 12-15 mpg
    Arlauskas and Zhakarov get leftovers

Ballo RS
    I think this is smart money.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

While those may be the 5 best players (Kispert instead of Thornton though imo) that will not be the starting lineup.
    Agree, except I'd substitute "most talented" for best. A great coach said that talent is more impt that experience, but not by that much. Kispert and Tillie are the two absolute locks to start imo.

Experience probably wins out over other factors with the inverted early schedule. There’s not much time to figure things out. We saw that it took Kispert, Rui and Norvell two years to get good with defensive rotations. It could be a wild, frustrating ride early on with all of the young guys. Petrusev hasn’t really shown the ability to guard strong post players, so that will be interesting to watch, even though I expect him to start.

Pray tell how YOU knew more than Mark Few and the coaching staff!

I don't expect an honest answer, just dancing with hyenas.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I'd be surprised if Watson doesn't earn and hold on to a starting spot next year. Really strong for a high school kid. I imagine he'll be working out a lot this summer, getting stronger and adding even more muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I will bet my salary that if Thornton comes here, Ravet is NOT starting over him.
    Agree. Possible scenario of starting a freshman over a grad transfer who would be at his 3rd school = recipe for at least one malcontent on roster and rough start to building team chemistry. This is why Zags staff needs to be real sure about offering Thornton. Regardless of any sound bites about guys having to earn PT, if Thornton comes aboard staff pretty much has to be ready to start him from day 1.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I'd be surprised if Watson doesn't earn and hold on to a starting spot next year. Really strong for a high school kid. I imagine he'll be working out a lot this summer, getting stronger and adding even more muscle.
    Like most frosh, Anton has to learn about consistent effort and motor at this level.

No question he plays hard, yet he could get away with coasting on occasion, given his natural talent and superior size/ability in HS. This is a major step up.

His motor had an on and off switch, which is normal for HS kids, yet needs to remain fully engaged to the game and action.

His engagement can waiver. A small and very coachable area of improvement which may take some time to figure out on his own with playing time.

He is up for the challenge and expect him to be a major player in time.

I'm surprised no one is talking about Kispert at the 2. Am I the only one who thinks that with a step up this summer he could take Norvell's spot at shooting guard? With him at the 2 we could start Watson at the 3.

This is how I hope it shakes out.

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    I'm surprised no one is talking about Kispert at the 2. Am I the only one who thinks that with a step up this summer he could take Norvell's spot at shooting guard? With him at the 2 we could start Watson at the 3.

This is how I hope it shakes out.

Starters:
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Petrusev

First off the bench:
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Would be a consideration but my concern would be matchup concerns on defensive side in m to m
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Absolutely no doubt about it...when Thornton signs he will be the starting PG at GU...

Could be wrong but I think it will be the first time we start two post-grad transfers at the same time...

Classy as always... but that being said... Kispert was actually playing rather well until his ankle injury that season. Was never the same that season after that.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death