Baseball Adds Three More for 2020 Season

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga baseball took another big step forward in bolstering its roster for the 2020 season with the addition of three incoming players, head coach Mark Machtolf announced Wednesday.

Catcher Tyler Rando, RHP Alec Gomez and INF Cole Minato will join the Zags in the Fall 2019, adding to a strong recruiting class.

Tyler Rando | San Jose, Calif. | Willow Glen HS/Mission [Calif.] College

Rando, a sophomore at Mission College, comes to Gonzaga with two years of eligibility after a pair of all-conference seasons behind the plate for the Saints. In 2019, the San Jose, Calif., native hit a Coast Golden Gate Conference-best .408 with 53 RBI and 47 runs scored, while also earning the league's gold glove award. Rando hit .352 as a freshman with 31 RBI and 36 runs.

Machtolf on Rando:

"Tyler will have the chance to compete for innings right away in his career. He brings a veteran element to our catching position with also the ability to get himself into the lineup at other spots on the diamond. We think he is the type of competitor who has really thrived in our program."

Rando on choosing Gonzaga:

"I chose this prestigious school because they gave me a chance to further my education in an environment that is second-to-none. I'm excited to play baseball at the next level for a program that speaks for itself and further develops baseball careers."

Alec Gomez | Sammamish, Wash. | Eastlake HS/Yakima Valley [Wash.] College

Gomez comes to Gonzaga after a standout career at Yakima Valley College. In the Sammamish, Washington, native's two years, he went 8-2 in 13 appearances, striking out 118 in 95.0 innings with an earned-run average of 1.80 for his career.

Machtolf on Gomez:

"We believe Alec will step onto campus and have the chance to have a major role for us immediately. He has a true three-pitch mix, and comes from a very competitive junior college program. We look forward to welcoming him this Fall."

Gomez on choosing Gonzaga:

"I chose Gonzaga because I love the culture of the school. From excellent academics to winning expectations on the sports teams, I will be able to grow in all areas of life. I think Gonzaga is the best fit for me and am excited to continue my career there."

Cole Minato | Huntington Beach, Calif. | Huntington Beach HS

Minato, a graduating senior at Hunting Beach High School, was named a Perfect Game Preseason All-American Honorable Mention in the California Region. As a senior shortstop, he helped his team to a 25-7 overall record and an 8-1 mark in league play, advancing to the sectionals.

Machtolf on Minato:

"Cole comes from one of the top high school programs in Southern California. We feel he brings an immediate level of competitiveness to our infield group that will make everyone better. We are very excited to have him in Spokane this Fall."

Minato on choosing Gonzaga:

"I chose to play for Gonzaga because I felt like the baseball program and school offered me the right tools in order for me to be successful later in my life."

Gonzaga Article Link