Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rui News :)

Default Rui News :)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bu...-rui-hachimura

But Boylen did have a much heavier focus on generating points inside first, with the team ranking third in the league in points in the paint per game during his tenure. Rui Hachimura fits in extremely well with the idea of the Bulls punishing teams inside with low-post scoring depth, resulting in open looks on the perimeter.
    More at the link

Methinks Rui is going to be a sensational player for whatever team gets him. Hope Rui will soak up all the media attention with his awesome smile
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bu...-rui-hachimura

More at the link

Methinks Rui is going to be a sensational player for whatever team gets him. Hope Rui will soak up all the media attention with his awesome smile
    Will no doubt have best smile on draft night. Electric.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Exhibit A:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Exhibit A:

Rui is so great! My grandson met him and spoke Japanese to him at Blaze pizza (Ethan just got his degree in Japanese and in ESL and will be teaching in Japan this fall) Rui was shocked but so very nice and E said he is rather shy. He will be a star in many ways. ( He asked Ethan if he is from Japan so his Japanese must be pretty darned good.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    True.

And we already have 100% evidence that Rui will be patient in learning the league.

I suspect he'll need it, as he's more raw than most our players - still - getting by still on elite athleticism more than anything. BUT, he's also a very fast learner, very capable of evolving and probably the highest upside of anyone we've had since Morrison/Sabonis.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    Rui is so great! My grandson met him and spoke Japanese to him at Blaze pizza (Ethan just got his degree in Japanese and in ESL and will be teaching in Japan this fall) Rui was shocked but so very nice and E said he is rather shy. He will be a star in many ways. ( He asked Ethan if he is from Japan so his Japanese must be pretty darned good.
    I love hearing stories like that!

I met Elias Harris after the OK State game on NY Eve. We had a brief, but nice conversation in German. He was surprised as well. Getting pictures with many of the Zags is a favorite memory of mine. The pictures are in an album in my profile.

ETA: that young man next to Elias is now 6'1", and will be a senior in HS next year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    That is one impressive grandson you have.

Eastern languages are so hard to learn for us, characters totally different.

He will never have trouble finding great career.

You should be very proud.

At least as proud as Tex of his grandkids, which is wonderful.

Off season threads are just better IMO.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I love hearing stories like that!

I met Elias Harris after the OK State game on NY Eve. We had a brief, but nice conversation in German. He was surprised as well. Getting pictures with many of the Zags is a favorite memory of mine. The pictures are in an album in my profile.

ETA: that young man next to Elias is now 6'1", and will be a senior in HS next year.
    The players are so gracious about having their pictures taken and they REALLY are sincere when they say thank you to US. Love the Zag boys.

Thank you! I remember when he started foreign language in middle school trying to sway him to take Spanish but he was so determined to learn Japanese. Spokane has a “sister” school for Japanese students and he got involved the students there and soon was a T/A and very immersed with the students. He continued at Eastern. Long story short he was right and I was wrong. �� He spent time last summer there and was hired first interview! I have schooled him on our former Zags to watch for who play there ����
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That is one impressive grandson you have.

Eastern languages are so hard to learn for us, characters totally different.

He will never have trouble finding great career.

You should be very proud.

At least as proud as Tex of his grandkids, which is wonderful.

Off season threads are just better IMO.

And for you all awaiting a fashion update, Rui posted a picture on his Instagram page of the August GQ Japan cover featuring Rui in Dolce Gabbana.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxyZ8XiF..._web_copy_link
    Parlez-vous français?

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

50 nothing like holding back how the author really feels! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I think a lot of the authors critiques of Rui are pretty spot on. I think the piece he's missing in all of his critiques is Rui's amazing growth to date. He's really only played two years at an elite level, and as we can attest, his growth in all areas of his game has been phenomenal. I agree that his defense as is won't be good enough for the NBA. And he definitely missed passing opportunities. But I think he has more growth and development potential even than most one-and-done players - he just hasn't spent that much time learning basketball yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    I think a lot of the authors critiques of Rui are pretty spot on. I think the piece he's missing in all of his critiques is Rui's amazing growth to date. He's really only played two years at an elite level, and as we can attest, his growth in all areas of his game has been phenomenal. I agree that his defense as is won't be good enough for the NBA. And he definitely missed passing opportunities. But I think he has more growth and development potential even than most one-and-done players - he just hasn't spent that much time learning basketball yet.
    I agree.

I wonder if the writer has only been writing for 2-3 years? Just to judge fairly. I think not.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Those commenting certainly didn't hold back either!
    They were unanimous in expressing their disdain for the analysis.

To kdaleb's point, I believe Few has said something to the effect "there's a lot of rubber left on the tires" in regard to Rui.

You are correct Abe, the guy didn't mince words.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Never seen the word “mocked” used that way. Maybe he meant it double entendre?

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Progressed more than any player we've had, and it's not even close. Couldn't get on the floor as a frosh, and no, it wasn't all language.

He'll learn, fast.
    Mark Twain.

All that hyperbole looks like the product of a 14 year old trying to get attention.....it is sad to see how our culture has evolved ….. he has some points to make but he lost me with his shock jock style...

Author Ben Pfeifer...I tried to Google him but didn't find out anything useful ...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 05-29-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Did Rui kick his dog or something... damn.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Did Rui kick his dog or something... damn.
    Perhaps Domas should have a few words with the author, to set him straight about his former teammate at GU.

to be fair, rui's mental understanding of the game lags far behind the physical side...and being smart in general doesn't always equate to high basketball iq...there is certainly a function of natural "feel" for the game that rui may just not possess or be able to develop which goes beyond x's and o's.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    to be fair, rui's mental understanding of the game lags far behind the physical side...and being smart in general doesn't always equate to high basketball iq...there is certainly a function of natural "feel" for the game that rui may just not possess or be able to develop which goes beyond x's and o's.
    Yep. There are certainly some valid criticisms in the piece, though they go a bit over the top. It's the one reason I'd say that while he's got a high ceiling, his floor is probably lower than someone like Clarke.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Tell us how you really feel..... Haters gonna hate.

Writer is certainly verbose. I could only get through about half of that. He's looking to nitpick negatives, and overlooking Rui's massive year to year improvement over three seasons, and ignoring the fact that he was way behind the curve after growing up in a country where the basketball isn't very good.

Not someone to be taken seriously imo.