• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

Summary of 2019 WNBA Draft

Now that the regular season is underway in the WNBA, here is a brief summary of how the 2019 WNBA draft turned out from the Swish Appeal:

WNBA free agency (UPDATED May 22): Megan Gustafson, Kennedy Burke waived by the Dallas Wings
    Here’s the latest on free agency movement for the 2019 WNBA season, including players who have been added as late additions to training camps as well as those who already have been waived.
    By Tamryn Spruill Updated May 22, 2019, 10:30pm EDT

On what planet does the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year and the Associated Press Women’s College Player of the Year not make a basketball team cut?

In the Women’s National Basketball Association, where veterans playing out lengthy careers collide with an influx of increasingly talented rookies through the WNBA Draft and occasional arrival of international players vying for roster spots.

With 12 teams each allowed 12 players, some of the best players in college basketball are left jobless come regular-season tipoff. Megan Gustafson (Iowa) — the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year and the Associated Press Women’s College Player of the Year picked 17th overall in the 2019 WNBA Draft — and Kennedy Burke, picked 22nd overall out of UCLA, did not make the cut. Both were waived by the Dallas Wings on Wednesday, May 22.

Also not with teams heading into Friday’s tipoff of the WNBA season are Cierra Dillard (No. 20 overall out of Buffalo), Caliya Robinson (No. 28 overall out of Georgia) and Macy Miller (No. 26 overall out of South Dakota).

Meanwhile, players who were in the WNBA in 2018 are finding themselves jobless this season, too. A few players driven from their respective benches include Teana Muldrow (Seattle Storm) and Erlana Larkins (Minnesota Lynx).

The deadline for final rosters is Thursday, May 23. With the way things are going, other shocking cuts are inevitable and it is unlikely those currently packing their bags will find a place on other teams, barring injury to others.
    Article Link: https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/201...nings-movement

ZagDad
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

Some WNBA teams have not updated their rosters yet, but, as far as I kind find, here are some interesting facts from the 2019 Draft:

Number of players drafted in each round who made the starting day rosters:
    - 1st Round - 11 out of 12 drafted made the starting day roster.
    - 2nd Round - 9 our of 12 drafted made the starting day roster.
    - 3rd Round - 2 out of 12 drafted made the starting day roster.

Number of drafted International players who made the starting day rosters:
    - 5 International players were drafted ( 2 from Spain, 2 from China and 1 from Australia) and only (1) from China made the opening day roster (NY Liberty).

Number of drafted mid-major (not including UConn) players who made the starting day rosters:
    - 3 Mid-Major players were drafted (Cierra Dillard-Buffalo, Morgan Bertsch-UC Davis & Macy Miller-South Dakota State) and none made the opening day roster.
    - 1 Big East player was drafted (Natisha Hiedeman-Marquette) and she did not make an opening day roster.

Outcome of Notre Dames Starting 5 who all declared or were eligible for the draft:
    - All of Notre Dame starting 5 were drafted; 3 in the first round and 2 in the second round.
    - All five of ND's drafted players made the opening day roster.
    - Brianna Turner, the 1st round draft pick of the Atlanta Dream was traded to Phoenix.

Effectiveness of the draft for each WNBA team:
    - Atlanta - 1 of the 2 draft picks made the opening day roster (2nd round pick). The other pick (1st round) was traded to Phoenix
    - Chicago - 2 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st & 2nd round picks)
    - Connecticut - 2 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st & 2nd round picks)
    - Dallas - 1 of the 4 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st round pick)
    - Indiana - 2 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st & 3rd round picks)
    - Las Vegas - 1 of the 1 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st round pick)
    - Los Angeles - 2 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st & 2nd round picks)
    - Minnesota - 2 of the 5 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st & 2nd round picks)
    - New York - 2 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st & 2nd round picks)
    - Phoenix - 3 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster plus traded for Atlanta's 1st round pick (4 rookies on the roster).
    - Seattle - 1 of the 3 draft picks made the opening day roster (2nd round picks) - Only team where the 1st round pick is not on opening day roster.
    - Washington - 1 of the 2 draft picks made the opening day roster (1st round pick)

Draft Picks by Conference (Drafted/Made the Roster):
    ACC
    - 1st Round (5 Drafted - 5 Made Roster)
    - 2nd Round (2 Drafted - 2 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round (4 Drafted - 2 Made Roster)
    - Total ( 11 Drafted - 9 Made Roster)

SEC
    - 1st Round (1 Drafted - 1 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round (1 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (4 Drafted - 3 Made Roster)

Pac-12
    - 1st Round (2 Drafted - 2 Made Roster)
    - 2nd Round (2 Drafted - 1 Made Roster)
    - Total (5 Drafted - 3 Made Roster)

Big-10
    - 1st Round (0 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - 2nd Round (1 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (2 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)

Big-12
    - 1st Round (1 Drafted- 1 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round ( 0 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (3 Drafted - 3 Made Roster)

Big East
    - 1st Round (0 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round (0 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (1 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)

Mid-Major
    - 1st Round (0 Drafted- 0 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round (2 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (3 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)

UConn
    - 1st Round (2 Drafted - 2 Made Roster)
    - 2nd Round (0 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round (0 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (2 Drafted - 2 Made Roster)

International
    - 1st Round (1 Drafted- 0 Made Roster)
    - 2nd Round (1 Drafted - 1 Made Roster)
    - 3rd Round (3 Drafted - 0 Made Roster)
    - Total (5 Drafted - 1 Made Roster)

Interesting to see that the Mid-Major schools had more ladies drafted than the Big-10 and Big East (3 vs 2 vs 1) conferences but none of these conferences had any of their draft picks make the opening day roster. No Big-10 2019 draft picks making the opening day roster is very interesting.

The ACC had 11 draft picks while 9 of the draft picks made the opening day roster. The Pac-12 had the second most draft pics with five (5) but tied with the SEC and Big-12 with 3 draft picks making the opening day roster.

As noted in the article above, the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year and the Associated Press Women’s College Player of the Year (Megan Gustafson - Iowa) did not make an opening day roster.

Fun times in the WNBA.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2014

Wow, you put in some work doing a breakdown of this most recent draft!

I'm not sure about the other international draft picks, but it's worth noting that the Storm didn't bring in their first round pick (from Australia) to camp this year, so she was not cut. I believe the intention is to have her join the team in 2020.

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
        I'm not sure about the other international draft picks, but it's worth noting that the Storm didn't bring in their first round pick (from Australia) to camp this year, so she was not cut. I believe the intention is to have her join the team in 2020.
        I thought I read that as well, but I could not find it again last night.

Thanks for the heads-up,

I thought is was strange that some P-6 conferences (Big-10 & Big East) had nobody make any WNBA team. Equally, I was surprised at how many ACC players were drafted and retained by WNBA teams. The ACC was head and shoulders above all other conferences this year. It will be interesting to see who wins Rookie of the Year.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

Yeah ROY will be interesting. I could see Ogunbowale leading all rookies in scoring just because she'll take more shots than anybody else. She was 5-16 in only 21 minutes in her debut. I'm not a fan.

Comment

• ZagDad84
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2014

Big start for Napheesa Collier, rookie from UConn on the Minnesota Lynx.

In the Minnesota Lynx's 89-71 blow-out of the Chicago Sky, Napheesa Collier, a starter for the Lynx , played 33 minutes and was outstanding. She scored 27 points while shooting 8-10 overall, 3-4 from 3 pt range and 8-11 from the free throw line. In addition she contributed 6 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocks.

A great opening salvo for rookie of the year voters.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

Collier's scoring output was the second highest debut for a rookie in history. Candace Parker holds the record (34 I think I saw somewhere). Her UConn teammate who usually got more press, Katie Lou Samuelson, scored 4 in her debut for their opponent, the Sky.

As a side note Sloot had 8 assists. Seeems like she's missed the first 5 games or so several seasons in a row due to overseas commitments. With Bird out indefinitely Sloot has a chance to close the sizable gap a little bit in career assists.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2014

I was really surprised that the Storm kept Anriel Howard, a rookie from Mississippi State.

Obviously we are not in the practices, but in the two (2) preseason games she had horrible (at least offensively) games and several of the Storm forwards (including Zag Zykera Rice) outplayed her (statistically) but were waived. In the first game of the season, Anriel Howard DNP - coach's decision.

Seems a little strange. Any talk in the Seattle area about Anriel Howard?

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2014

I know I've seen Anriel Howard mentioned in the paper but I can't remember what they said about her specifically.

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I checked on 710 sports, Seattle, under their Storm coverage, and there basically is none.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                    X