Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Participants For U19 World Cup Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Very interesting. I haven't heard anything about it.

Teammate from the Lithuanian U19 team? I wonder who could it be though. All the best players just don't seem available anymore. Some names can be eliminated immediately - Sirvydis got drafted and both Jokubaitis/Venskus have signed pro contracts with Zalgiris while Jarumbauskas has signed with Rytas. I believe Giedraitis also has a pro contract in Spain, so that doesn't leave many names that could be worth "going hard after". Maybe someone a year younger than Arlauskas, from Zalgiris-2? Someone like...

... like this guy:

I like that kid, name I heard was Kancleris. Any insight on him. Hear Tommy really likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I like that kid, name I heard was Kancleris. Any insight on him. Hear Tommy really likes him.
    Heard about Modestas Kancleris too. He played at the NBPA top 100 camp recently and turned 18 this month

https://youtu.be/l-0s6R-zfZk

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Interesting, I'm assuming it's Modestas Kancleris (18 year old) and not Nedas Kancleris (19 year old).

Modestas' stats from 2018-19 NKL (2nd Lithuanian league) season:
    36 games, 20:36 minutes
    6.9 ppg (58/22/51 shooting splits)
    4.7 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.7 bpg

Stats from the U18 Euroleague tournament:
    6 games, 26:20 minutes
    13.2 ppg (49/27/57 shooting splits)
    8.0 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.2 bpg

I believe he had a huge growth spurt, he was a 6 foot shooting guard just a year or two ago.

Interesting, I'm assuming it's Modestas Kancleris (18 year old) and not Nedas Kancleris (19 year old).

Modestas' stats from 2018-19 NKL (2nd Lithuanian league) season:
    36 games, 20:36 minutes
    6.9 ppg (58/22/51 shooting splits)
    4.7 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.7 bpg

Stats from the U18 Euroleague tournament:
    6 games, 26:20 minutes
    13.2 ppg (49/27/57 shooting splits)
    8.0 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.2 bpg

I believe he had a huge growth spurt, he was a 6 foot shooting guard just a year or two ago.
    Correct Modestas. He looks solid and has lots of potential.

A bit older news-- but was standing out in 2017

2017 ADIDAS EUROCAMP: DAY TWO Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress Mike Schmitz @Mike_Schmitz Jun 10, 2017, 06:31 pm
    Standing 6'7.25 in shoes with a 6'9 wingspan, Lithuanian forward Modestas Kancleris played quite a bit of point guard today showing impressive ball handling, vision, and jump shooting ability for his size and age. Already seeing minutes playing up with Zalgiris's junior teams, Kancleris appears to have a bright future as a do-it-all type who will likely continue to grow.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-day-two-6001/

Who would be the seventh team. I only count 6. No USA

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Australia (surprise) has two incoming Gaels 2019 U19 on their team, Alex Ducas and Kyle Bowen. Speculation is that both will see minutes as freshmen but who knows. RB is high on them. Of course, RB needs to be high on something (short joke).

From Twitter: https://twitter.com/SerbiaHoop/statu...16739209158658
    SerbiaHoop
    ‏ @SerbiaHoop

U19 Serbia ���� roster for U19 WC in Crete, Greece:

Uros Trifunovic
    Ognjen Micovic
    Pavle Kuzmanovic
    Zoran Paunovic
    Altin Islamovic
    Aleksa Cubic
    Luka Cerovina
    Lazar Grbovic
    Filip Petrusev
    Dalibor Ilic
    Marko Pecarski
    Toma Vasiljevic

coach: Aleksandar Bucan

Lithuanian U19 roster has been announced as well. Arlauskas made it.

Simas Jarumbauskas
    Klaidas Metrikis
    Domantas Vilys
    Erikas Venskus
    Justinas Ramanauskas
    Nojus Mineikis
    Matas Vaitkus
    Giedrius Bergaudas
    Martynas Arlauskas
    Gertautas Urbonavičius
    Dovydas Giedraitis
    Rokas Jokubaitis

Did Zakharov make the Russian roster? From what I could see I didn't see him listed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Has Marko already turned pro or has he kept his options open?

What ever happened to that PG they had playing last season, did he go pro?

THANKS...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Has Marko already turned pro or has he kept his options open?

What ever happened to that PG they had playing last season, did he go pro?

THANKS...
    On September 25, 2017, Pecarski signed a three-year contract with Partizan from Belgrade.

FIBA U-10 2019 website: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019

I've noted the following games from FIBA U19 featuring Zags on my schedule:

Note: Pavel Zakharov isn't listed on Russia's roster, so better ignore him. Also, I edited from my previous post to add Jalen Suggs, since so many here have their little Zag hearts set on him.

Last edited by ZagNative; 06-27-2019 at 03:00 PM.

From a story on FIBA's U-19 site, "Everything you need to know about the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019."
    Game on for Gonzaga - Duo of NCAA champions

There will be dozens of players in Heraklion who played collegiately in the United States last season or will in the up-coming season. But two situations definitely stand out heading into the U19 World Cup. Australia guard Kody Stattmann helped the University of Virginia to win the NCAA title this past season while Argentina big man Francisco Caffaro was on the team as a red-shirt, meaning he practiced with the squad but did not play as he was recovering from an injury. The other school which will be watching the U19 World Cup very closely is Gonzaga University. Two players from the Zags' team last season made the All-Star Five of the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018 - Filip Petrusev of the champions Serbia and Joel Ayayi from the third-placed France side. But the Gonzaga fans will also get a glimpse of two in-coming freshmen for next season in Mali big man Oumar Ballo and Martynas Arlauskas of Lithuania. France and Serbia square off on July 2 in the final game of Group D in a re-match of the U18 European Semi-Finals - and a shot for Gonzaga redemption for Ayayi.

Final tune up for USA and Serbia

Steven Karr

@SKarrG0
    9h9 hours ago
    More Steven Karr Retweeted USABJNT
    Filip Petrusev with 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists. Jalen Suggs with 11 points and the icing FT down the stretch.

This could very well be the gold medal match-up we get at the U19 World Cup.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...xhibition.aspx

Great stats for Petrusev! The 4 assists is a nice surprise; facilitator from high post for Zags and their athletic guards cutting to the rim this season!!?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Awesome for Petrusev!

Can a mod please rename this thread title to something like "U19 World Cup" .

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Final tune up for USA and Serbia

Steven Karr

@SKarrG0
    9h9 hours ago
    More Steven Karr Retweeted USABJNT
    Filip Petrusev with 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists. Jalen Suggs with 11 points and the icing FT down the stretch.

This could very well be the gold medal match-up we get at the U19 World Cup.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...xhibition.aspx
    Versus the best players his age group in the US...and likely the World.

He was dominant in many areas, including drawing fouls with lotsa contact.

Petrusev development vs his teammate Pecarski is interesting. Pecarski was a Zag recruit for about a month before signing a professional contract. An excellent prospect in his own right, and a bit more aggressive, dominant last year.

Petrusev has more confidence, and more importantly better feel for the game, esp vs speed and superior athleticism like Team USA.

They both are seeking NBA opportunities, yet Petrusev might be elevating above Pecarski, who was once considered a better prospect.

Pecarski had some interest is going stateside for College, yet Petrusev went and did it, and it's clearly paying dividends.

Pecarski still view himself as the leader and "go to" player, as he attempted the most shots and forced numerous others.

It's a nice comparison to gauge these two, at the same stage, and see how Petrusevs time at Gonzaga is paying off.

One area of improvement/weakness, which plagued Petrusev last season is....weak hands. He has "soft hands" on the catch, yet very easily swiped, or pulled away by defenders or doubling guards. Or off offensive rebounds and out backs. It was mentioned during his HS scout/evaluation as a weakness and we saw it late last season once he was scouted. Well, it was a problem again vs Team USA on some possessions leading to a couple TO's as a result.

Petrusev is often our best scoring player and shooter in practice, yet his weak hands will hold him back vs double teams, taking advantage of offensive rebs/putbacks, hounding guards, and pressure.

It was my one concern last year with him, even in WCC play.

He does a solid job passing when pressured yet holding onto the ball in traffic or under the hoop is a clear concern for me.

Otherwise, I'm a big Petrusev fan. Always have been. Still feel he should have e garnered more PT down the stretch, esp given our mass exodus to the League.

His shooting, feel, touch, skill are blue chip. Lucky to have him on our side and as mentioned above, made a great decision coming to Gonzaga and the States to develop.

Watching Mali vs Latvia U19 game. Ballo, #11 based on web search, has not entered game w 3 minutes remaining in 1st half. Mali up 36-34. Have not seen any #11 on bench either though he may have warm up on.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Watching Mali vs Latvia U19 game. Ballo, #11 based on web search, has not entered game w 3 minutes remaining in 1st half. Mali up 36-34. Have not seen any #11 on bench either though he may have warm up on.
    Man what a tough matchup for Latvia. It looks like Mali's shooting guards have longer wingspans than Latvia's big men.

Petrusev 9pts 3rebs in 6 minutes so far

Man what a tough matchup for Latvia. It looks like Mali's shooting guards have longer wingspans than Latvia's big men.
    Yeah, I like Mali guard #4.

Petrusev 9pts 3rebs in 6 minutes so far
    23 pts, 8 rebs, 2 blks in 20 mins of play today. 9/11 FG

He definitely plays as a true Center for them.

Arlauskas' game starting in 30 minutes. It will be interesting to see how he deals with Senegal's length & athleticism.