Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Participants For U19 World Cup Team

Default Training Camp Participants For U19 World Cup Team

Thirty-Four Athletes to Take Part in Training Camp for USA Men’s U19 World Cup Team

Anton Watson (Gonzaga Prep/Spokane, Wash.)

Jalen Suggs (Minnehaha Academy/Minneapolis, Minn.)

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...mp-roster.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Thirty-Four Athletes to Take Part in Training Camp for USA Men’s U19 World Cup Team

Nice! I imagine that Watson has a good shot of making the team with his experience in camp last year.

Let’s go Anton!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Cool

Kessler Edwards an upcoming-sophomore from Pepperdine too. (Really like his game.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Interesting that Jaden McDaniels was not on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Interesting that Jaden McDaniels was not on this list.
    I found that interesting to, particularly since Hopkins is an assistant on the team.

Suggs has a chance to talk to our guy Watson about GU and Spokane; has the opportunity to form a friendship relationship there, if there isn't one already; and can see if they play well together. Watson seems like such a team-first guy, and good guy in general, that he seems like he would be a good ambassador.

Lots of present and future Zags will be representing their countries at the FIBA U19 World Championships in Greece from June 29 - July 7.

From Serbia, Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga sophomore
    From France, Joel Ayayi, Gonzaga sophomore
    From Lithuania, Martynas Arlauskas, incoming freshman
    From Russia, Pavel Zakharov, incoming freshman
    From Mali, Oumar Ballo, incoming freshman

Stories on the FIBA U19 Website:

Petrusev: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19...cup-gold-medal

Pecarski will undoubtedly be one of the leaders for Serbia along with his fellow big man Filip Petrusev, who joined Pecarski on the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018 All-Star Five by averaging 21.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks.

"Filip and I have played together for years and we always had a great connection. So I expect us to lead the team until the end and make a great success again," said Pecarski, who played with Petrusev at the 2015 and 2016 U16 European Championships as well as both U18 continental tournaments in 2017 and 2018.

While Pecarski is playing with Partizan, Petrusev is in the United States playing with Gonzaga University - a fact that Pecarski believes will serve Serbia well this summer.

"I think that he is at a great place, and right now his experience can be very helpful eventually against teams like United States or Canada," Pecarski said of Petrusev, who averaged 6.5 points and 2.7 rebounds this season including 4 points and 3 rebounds in Gonzaga’s First Round game of the NCAA Tournament.

Serbia are far more than just the big man duo of Pecarski and Petrusev though with some of the other possible leaders being Zoran Paunovic and Luka Cerovina among others.

"I think this is what makes this team good: that every player knows what he has to do to help and what things they do excellently," he said. "We have a lot of talent and besides Filip and me, you never know which player can step up and make a difference."
    Martynas Arlauska: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19...ia-at-u19-camp

VILNIUS (Lithuania) - Lithuania will have their big guns available as they prepare for the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019 with Martynas Arlauskas, Rokas Jokubaitis and Deividas Sirvydis included in the team's 24-man preliminary roster for training camp.

The star trio will play in a major role in Lithuania's chances of competing for a medal at the U19 World Cup from June 29-July 7 in Heraklion, where Gediminas Petrauskas' team will face New Zealand, Senegal and the United States in Group A.
    Lithuania's 24-man pool includes 10 players who finished second at the FIBA U16 European Championship 2016 and 10 players who were fifth last summer at the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018, where Lithuania qualified for their eighth appearance in the U19 global showcase. The main name missing is Sarunas Valunta, who was injured.

Jokubaitis and Sirvydis were on both U16 and U18 teams while Jokubaitis as well as Dovydas Giedraitis both played at the FIBA U19 World Cup 2017 in Cairo. Arlauskas, who will be playing for Gonzaga University in the United States next season, was on the U16 team but missed the U18 European Championship last summer with a stress fracture in his foot.
    Oumar Ballo: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19...urnees-senegal

One thing was certain about this Mali group. It was a talented team with lots of international experience, with six players having played at least one youth World Cup or continental championship. Coulibaly and Aboubacar Djire both lost to Egypt in the Final of the FIBA U16 African Championship 2015 with Coulibaly playing at the FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup in 2016. Martin Diakite appeared on the team at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2017 while Kanoute, Oumar Ballo and Mohamed Keita helped Mali to their first-ever youth continental crown by taking the FIBA U16 African Championship 2017 and then played in the FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup 2018 as well.

Great stuff ZN. Thank you!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

This will be a fun tournament to watch with a lot of special reasons to pay attention to games that wouldn’t normally be on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Suggs has a chance to talk to our guy Watson about GU and Spokane; has the opportunity to form a friendship relationship there, if there isn't one already; and can see if they play well together. Watson seems like such a team-first guy, and good guy in general, that he seems like he would be a good ambassador.
    That would be fascinating. And this:

Watson seems like such a team-first guy, and good guy in general
    Also does seem true.

He must know that GU is hard after Suggs, and one would think it would be hard NOT to talk to a guy and try to convince him.

I hope Watson makes the team, but even being invited to such a camp is a huge honor. One of the top 34 players in the U.S. under 19? Simply wonderful.

Also, it would seem to me, that as Few has taken the program to a new level, HE is now at a point in time when HIS name will come up when it comes to possible coaches for teams such as that. I have no idea if he has any interest in such a thing. He's a man who values his family and time with them, so. But I suspect his name will start appearing as a possibility in the next few years.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That would be fascinating. And this:

Also does seem true.

He must know that GU is hard after Suggs, and one would think it would be hard NOT to talk to a guy and try to convince him.

I hope Watson makes the team, but even being invited to such a camp is a huge honor. One of the top 34 players in the U.S. under 19? Simply wonderful.

Also, it would seem to me, that as Few has taken the program to a new level, HE is now at a point in time when HIS name will come up when it comes to possible coaches for teams such as that. I have no idea if he has any interest in such a thing. He's a man who values his family and time with them, so. But I suspect his name will start appearing as a possibility in the next few years.

https://www.usab.com/history/pan-am-...ames-2015.aspx

Mr. Few has done a little international coaching. Maybe more in the future.

I'm going to predict that Watson makes the team. On a team of allstars, the coaches are going to want a guy who plays team ball and has a high iq and makes those around him better.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Lots of present and future Zags will be representing their countries at the FIBA U19 World Championships in Greece from June 29 - July 7.

I think Strawther is set to play for Puerto Rico also.

Wow ZN! Thank you for all of the research. Summer is starting to look like a basketball party.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think Strawther is set to play for Puerto Rico also.
    Wow! I missed that, but it looks like you're right:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-team-1563661/
    Puerto Ricans know Liberty’s 6-7 star wing as Julian Cordero-Strawther — a consensus top 40 recruit and one of the new faces of their national basketball team.

Strawther, a junior at Liberty, will represent Puerto Rico on its junior national team this summer at the under-17 Caribbean Championships and under-19 FIBA World Cup. Puerto Rico’s national team had for several months courted Strawther, whose late mother, Lourdes Cordero-Strawther, was Puerto Rican.

Junior national team coach Omar Gonzalez watched Strawther play last month during the Tarkanian Classic and secured his commitment Dec. 23.

“Basketball is such a big sport in Puerto Rico. … Being such a small island, we have to try to get an advantage however we can get it,” Gonzalez said. “Julian has the type of talent, type of demeanor and (maturity) that will take him to the senior national team. I really see him at that level.”
    So, it looks like 7 out of the 16 teams represented in FIBA U19 will include a Zag, present or future:

That will make for some fun summer watching for the GU fans. Hopefully GU has an alum team in TBT too. I like seeing some of the old players for a couple games.

Wow! I missed that, but it looks like you're right:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-team-1563661/

So, it looks like 7 out of the 16 teams represented in FIBA U19 will include a Zag, present or future:

Is there any program that will have more representation than us at FIBA U19? I'd say there's a real story here that deserves to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Nice! I imagine that Watson has a good shot of making the team with his experience in camp last year.
    Plus he was one of the very last cuts.

VILNIUS (Lithuania) - Lithuania will have their big guns available as they prepare for the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019 with Martynas Arlauskas, Rokas Jokubaitis and Deividas Sirvydis included in the team's 24-man preliminary roster for training camp.

The star trio will play in a major role in Lithuania's chances of competing for a medal at the U19 World Cup from June 29-July 7 in Heraklion, where Gediminas Petrauskas' team will face New Zealand, Senegal and the United States in Group A.
    I think 'star trio' might be pushing it. I really don't expect Arlauskas to dominate after what he's been through. Sirvydis (potential draftee in the 2019 NBA draft) seems like the far and away the best player at the moment, with Jokubaitis being the second option. Then you have a bunch of guys who can have pretty solid contributions - Arlauskas, Venskus, Giedraitis, Jarumbauskas. It actually seems like it's going to be a pretty stacked/deep team. I think they might have a shot at a medal.

The FIBA website has a nice story about Gonzaga's players Joel Ayayi, Filip Petrusev, and Killian Tillie. http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19...der-ayayi-says

PARIS (France) - Joel Ayayi insists France have grown up since a strong third-placed finish at the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018 and they are ready to show that at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019.

France come together for their next training camp ahead of the U19 World Cup on May 28, meeting until June 9 with two exhibition games against Belgium on June 8 and June 9 in Temple-sur-Lot. Frederic Crapez’s team then will meet June 14-15 at INSEP headquarters in Paris before another camp in Vrsac, Serbia June 16-19 and the final camp from June 19-25 in Compiegne with two final warm-ups against Canada on June 23 and New Zealand a day later.

"It’s really exciting to know that we’ll be back together. We have a generation with a lot of good guys on and off the course, so it’s gonna be fun once again," said Ayayi, who was second in scoring for France at the U18 European Championship with 15.7 points to go with 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.7 steals.
    Ayayi expects to have a similar major role in Greece from June 29-July 7.

"I don’t think my role is going to be different from last year. My leadership is going to be required as well as my playmaking abilities on both sides of the floor," said Ayayi, who was named to the All-Star Five for his efforts last summer.

The 6ft 3in (1.90m) guard is looking forward to the group stage in Heraklion, where France have been drawn into Group D with China, Puerto Rico and Serbia.

"It’s going to be a good battle to get out of this group in good shape. Three really different styles of basketball which will require adaptation every time. It’s going to be fun and interesting," Ayayi said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    I think 'star trio' might be pushing it. I really don't expect Arlauskas to dominate after what he's been through. Sirvydis (potential draftee in the 2019 NBA draft) seems like the far and away the best player at the moment, with Jokubaitis being the second option. Then you have a bunch of guys who can have pretty solid contributions - Arlauskas, Venskus, Giedraitis, Jarumbauskas. It actually seems like it's going to be a pretty stacked/deep team. I think they might have a shot at a medal.
    Hello JStock! Can you give the rest of us a rundown of Arlauskas’s game and what we should expect from him next year and what his potential could be in the futures please?

Thank you and I hope everything is going well for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Hello JStock! Can you give the rest of us a rundown of Arlauskas’s game and what we should expect from him next year and what his potential could be in the futures please?

Thank you and I hope everything is going well for you!!
    I think the most important thing is to temper your expectations for Arlauskas at the very beginning. I don't think it's fair to put too much pressure on the young guy. The injury has slowed down his progress, and so I don't expect him to be a big part of Gonzaga's rotation in his freshman year. Perhaps a small role off the bench is realistic. But going forward beyond his freshman year, I think he can become a very solid contributor, maybe even the third best player on the team. I think he has that potential.

That being said it's pretty hard for me to project how he's going to look in the NCAA. This season, he played in the NKL (second Lithuanian division), and averaged 4.9 ppg on 42/29/88 shooting splits, also 2.5 rpg, 1.3 apg (and 1.2 TO) in 18 mpg in 17 games. This is slightly worse than his 2017/18 stats in the same league. It's hard to compare NKL to NCAA, but just to give you some context, another young Lithuanian player Ignas Sargiunas decided to go to the NCAA (Georgia Bulldogs) after averaging 10.3 ppg (on 48% shooting from the field) in NKL, and couldn't crack the rotation in Georgia. Granted, that might have had something to do with other things (culture shock, basketball IQ, not having good enough physical tools to defend etc.). Like I said, it's really hard to project how someone from NKL might translate to D-1 basketball.

Would you recommend a red shirt year to get acclimated to college/US life and complete his injury recovery?

Would you recommend a red shirt year to get acclimated to college/US life and complete his injury recovery?
    zags need help at the guard spots so if he's good enough he'll play right away...he looks like he has better footspeed than kispert.