Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Participants For U19 World Cup Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Man what a tough matchup for Latvia. It looks like Mali's shooting guards have longer wingspans than Latvia's big men.
    Do you know why Ballo didn't play?

Imporessive win for Mali without him, though. Didn't Lithuania play super tight games against Latvia?

Also, Ayayi lighting up for France with a super efficient 23 points so far. He'll never be the PG at Gonzaga but I still think he's gonna be a rotation piece moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Do you know why Ballo didn't play?

Imporessive win for Mali without him, though. Didn't Lithuania play super tight games against Latvia?

Also, Ayayi lighting up for France with a super efficient 23 points so far. He'll never be the PG at Gonzaga but I still think he's gonna be a rotation piece moving forward.
    Yes, Lithuania had some very close exhibition games against them. It should be noted though that the game where Latvia won Lithuania didn't have their leaders (best Lithuanian player Sirvydis was/is absent due to getting drafted, and Jokubaitis/Venskus didn't play in that game). Also, Latvia is actually missing their best player, a legitimate NBA prospect, Arturs Zagars. He couldn't complete his injury rehab in time for this competition.

Arlauskas' game link, Lithuania vs Senegal, starting in 7 minutes:

Ut oh.. Why didn't Ballo play??

Thank you for the link. Caught 1st Qtr. Lithuania looks more skilled and is a better unit, but Senegal’s athleticism has bothered them. There was a stretch Senegal blocked every shot. If/Once Lithuania adjusts they could do well. A few pump fakes and jump stops could be helpful. I’m no basketball expert but it doesn’t look like Senegal runs an offense at all.

Petrusev had 23 points on 9/11 from the field. I watched that game. He was by far the most dominant player on the court vs China. I realize the competition isn't GREAT but he looked fantastic.

Ayayi had 27 points vs Puerto Rico today too, including some threes and fadeaway jumpers... how come we don't see this kid but every time he goes on the international stage he lights it up?

This thread needs a name change... lots of zags fans are interested in watching these games I'm sure but have no clue based on this thread title what this even is...

Arlauskas didn't shoot well. Also made some mistakes on both ends. But he was active and hustling. Got 4 steals and 5 rebounds. He looked better than I thought he would against such a long and athletic team like Senegal. And he made a beautiful alley-oop dunk!

https://twitter.com/FIBA/status/1145002381337231363

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Ayayi had 27 points vs Puerto Rico today too, including some threes and fadeaway jumpers... how come we don't see this kid but every time he goes on the international stage he lights it up?
    You do have remember that most of these competitions (most of the teams anyhow) are fairly well below high major D1 calibre.

That said, he was only a freshman. And last seasons' team had a championship or bust mentality. Few was pretty intent on keeping the rotation tight for what he planned to use in the postseason. Even Petrusev got to next to no run once Tillie came back.

He has his faults, many of which are the type that make Few pull his hair out. A little loose with his handle and sometimes his feet moving faster than his head. I understand why he didn't get a lot PT last season.

That all said, the dude has talent. He gets downhill real quick and can obviously get out in transition. He was cutting nicely and moving well without the ball. His stroke isn't great but he seems to be an effective shooter nonetheless. He is still pretty slender of frame but he looks stronger. I was impressed by his nose for the ball battling for boards. Looks very versatile defensively.

I suspect Foster leaving was a pretty clear indication that Ayayi had surpassed him in the coaches books. I think he will get some real run this season with the opportunity to establish himself a rotation regular moving forward. It'd be nice to a continually improving upperclassmen guard in 2020 when that class lands.

Arlauskas didn't shoot well. Also made some mistakes on both ends. But he was active and hustling. Got 4 steals and 5 rebounds. He looked better than I thought he would against such a long and athletic team like Senegal. And he made a beautiful alley-oop dunk!

https://twitter.com/FIBA/status/1145002381337231363
    I liked his game for the most part. Although he doesn't seem to necessarily excel in any one facet. Kind of a jack of all trades.

He's gonna have to really work on his shooting. Passed up on some open 3's and obviously his #'s coming back injury were quite poor there. He's gonna have to have a quality 3 point shot to be an effective player with GU.

My gut says he might be a redshirt this season based on the lineup, barring injuries. Won't get any run at the 3 with Kispert/Watson and Gilder/Ayayi will be in front of him at the 2. Could be a good chance for him to acclimate to NA, hit the weights hard and really work with the staff on developing his shot. His form isn't terrible by any stretch so I'm optimistic he can real develop his shooting.

Suggs is #9 in white ...

Box Score

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Suggs is #9 in white ...

Box Score

Hey ZN! It would probably be a good idea to change the title of this thread to World Cup 2019 or something. Not sure if you have the power to do it, but maybe you know someone who can.

Hey ZN! It would probably be a good idea to change the title of this thread to World Cup 2019 or something. Not sure if you have the power to do it, but maybe you know someone who can.
    A moderator would need to make that change, and there aren't any online right now. Maybe the next time one logs on he or she could change the thread title, as you suggest, since several people have suggested that be done.

I think it's kind of cool that Arlauskas, Strawther, Petrusev, and Ayayi all started for their respective teams, as did Suggs. Also in terms of Arlauskas shooting he is recovering from injury and reportedly hasn't played much this past year. I thought he looked healthy. He really was affected by foul trouble in that game. I thought Strawther looked pretty good too. Ayayi is a puzzle. He always scores points but he is careless with the ball and almost seemed disinterested but I'm not any kind of expert. He didn't really play point in that game did he?

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    You do have remember that most of these competitions (most of the teams anyhow) are fairly well below high major D1 calibre.

That said, he was only a freshman. And last seasons' team had a championship or bust mentality. Few was pretty intent on keeping the rotation tight for what he planned to use in the postseason. Even Petrusev got to next to no run once Tillie came back.

He has his faults, many of which are the type that make Few pull his hair out. A little loose with his handle and sometimes his feet moving faster than his head. I understand why he didn't get a lot PT last season.

That all said, the dude has talent. He gets downhill real quick and can obviously get out in transition. He was cutting nicely and moving well without the ball. His stroke isn't great but he seems to be an effective shooter nonetheless. He is still pretty slender of frame but he looks stronger. I was impressed by his nose for the ball battling for boards. Looks very versatile defensively.

I suspect Foster leaving was a pretty clear indication that Ayayi had surpassed him in the coaches books. I think he will get some real run this season with the opportunity to establish himself a rotation regular moving forward. It'd be nice to a continually improving upperclassmen guard in 2020 when that class lands.
    I agree with most of this. Ayayi was a redshirt freshman last season. Also, Foster left because of the incoming talent, not because Ayayi had necessarily surpassed him.

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post
    He didn't really play point in that game did he?
    That’s because he’s not nor has ever been a pg.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I agree with most of this. Ayayi was a redshirt freshman last season. Also, Foster left because of the incoming talent, not because Ayayi had necessarily surpassed him.
    I mean Foster started the season as the first guard off the bench in garbage time but by midseason Ayayi was. Caldwell had also said the staff favours Ayayi at this point which played a role in Foster's transfer.

You just have to watch that French replay to see that there is clearly things Ayayi is capable of that Foster isn't. Ayayi has a vastly higher ceiling.

Default Ayayi

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    That’s because he’s not nor has ever been a pg.
    So that's to say no one on the board has ever referred to ayayi in the context of a possible point for next year. Appreciate your clearing that up.8

Mali down only 6 at the half vs Canada. Once again, no PT for Ballo. He is either nursing an injury or simply on this U19 national team to provide post player depth insurance. I would guess the former as these teams play like 5 games in 5 days or something so you’d think coaches would get everyone some minutes?

IDK. Ballo is so young; maybe good for he and Arlauskas to kill it together this season on the Zags redshirt squad? I know some have argued he is gone to NBA in 2-3 years so why RS, but he is a year younger than Rui was when he arrived. I think being out of the spotlight and just working on his game and school while banging vs Petrusev, Timmie, Zhakarov et al in practice may bea good thing for him.

http://http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/3006/Canada-Mali#tab=boxscore
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Canada has come out in the second half and stunk the place out.

Too bad the defending FIBA champions of this age group are missing so many players from that team (well one in particular, RJ....)

Very little team play for Canada, the AAU does not prepare them well for this type of game. The Mali team playing very well...and deserved to win.
    Last edited by OZZY; 06-30-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Canada has come out in the second half and stunk the place out.

Too bad the defending FIBA champions of this age group are missing so many players from that team (well one in particular, RJ....)
    I think both Barrett and Brazdeikis were their leaders. Huge loss for Canada.

Edit: oh nevermind, Brazdeikis is 20 already.

Mali beats Canada 71-70! Key big for Mali, #12, leaves w sprained ankle late in game.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Mali down only 6 at the half vs Canada. Once again, no PT for Ballo. He is either nursing an injury or simply on this U19 national team to provide post player depth insurance. I would guess the former as these teams play like 5 games in 5 days or something so you’d think coaches would get everyone some minutes?

IDK. Ballo is so young; maybe good for he and Arlauskas to kill it together this season on the Zags redshirt squad? I know some have argued he is gone to NBA in 2-3 years so why RS, but he is a year younger than Rui was when he arrived. I think being out of the spotlight and just working on his game and school while banging vs Petrusev, Timmie, Zhakarov et al in practice may bea good thing for him.

http://http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/3006/Canada-Mali#tab=boxscore
    FIBA featured him in an article before the tourney so I would be shocked if we wasn't playing due to his place on the depth chart. Hopefully it's nothing serious if its an injury.

I really don't see much sense in a redshirt though. He's not gonna be at GU 5 years so I don't see much harm in him getting garbage time minutes ala Rui's freshman year. I could see Arlauskas redshirting though.

Petrusev so dominant so far in this World Cup.

Serbia downs Puerto Rico 75-74

Petrusev leads team to win with 23 pts 10 boards and 3 blocks
    Strawther leads his team with 22 pts and 6 boards