Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Participants For U19 World Cup Team

Interesting stat from Jim Meehan's piece on the Zags' performance at FIBA today:
    GU sophomore forward Filip Petrusev scored 17 points in just 17-plus minutes as Serbia remained unbeaten with an 87-60 victory Wednesday over Philippines.

Petrusev made 7 of 8 field-goal attempts and grabbed eight rebounds. He’s shooting 79.5% from the field through four games.

Very efficient scorer.

About Suggs and the GU connection, there's this from an Evan Daniels piece today:

RETE, Greece -- After winning Gold Medals with USA Basketball in 2017 and 2018, five-star guard Jalen Suggs is seeking his third first place finish with the USA Basketball u19 team.

Suggs, a 6-foot-4 combination guard, had his best game of the FIBA u19 World Cup on Tuesday, scoring 14 points on 4-for-10 shooting and tossing out four assists in a win over Senegal.

Through three games, Suggs is averaging 6.7 points, 2.3 assists and 2.0 rebounds a game. Suggs and USA Basketball start tournament play on Wednesday morning against Latvia.

Gonzaga, Minnesota and Iowa State sent assistant coaches to Greece to track Suggs' play.
    How do you think you’ve played here?

I think I started off pretty slow. I think in the exhibition, I played real well. Definitely, in the opening pool play games I could have played a lot better. I think I was trying to force a lot and I wasn’t really letting the game come to me, and one big thing that I was taught not only by coaches but by my parents was just having fun with the game again. I was kind of taking it a bit too serious, putting a lot of pressure on myself and you know today, I came out relaxed and was just trying to enjoy the game and it showed, and I played a lot better. I slowed down, made the right reads, and I’m just continuing to grow.

How is your role different with this team than it is from other teams you’ve been on?
    For USA, I’ve always been kind of the defensive stopper. As far as home, I kind of have the ball in my hands a lot, score, come off a lot of pick and rolls, but here, we also need great scorers and so many people that can create and Tyrese [Haliburton] is a great point guard. The way he sees the floor, you know he’s barely turned the ball over since he’s been here. He’s been great, so like I said I like having him with the ball in his hands, and I’ve kind of gotten to play off-ball, run off screens and get me more open for spot-up shots.
    Who has prioritized you for basketball?
    I would say Gonzaga has really prioritized me a lot. They’re definitely at the top of the charts, I talk to the coaching staff almost every day, I talk to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], who are two recruits who have committed there for 2020, almost every day. We’re best friends, I definitely think they’re at the top, and Marquette, Minnesota, Iowa State, Iowa, there’s a lot of schools. Michigan has really emerged, Juwan Howard has talked to me a lot recently. Those schools are still in it as well, so I don’t really have a definitive answer right now but coming soon I will for sure.

Have you thought about setting up any more visits?
    I’ve talked to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], I think we’re all going to go on the same trip, we’re planning to go to the North Carolina game. I think we’re planning to go on the same weekend. We want to go to the North Carolina game, I’m not sure if that will work for everyone though, but we’re definitely going to get down there soon.

He talks about making his decision in August, and also mentions visiting for the North Carolina game... All signs point to yes.

Be sure to vote for your fave in U19. Lots of Zags at the top of the rankings: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19...ed-fibau19-mvp

Ayayi looks SO good in FIBA! He's really got to get these skills to the GU campus.

Mali beats Puerto Rico 84-74 in the quarter-final game just concluded. Box Score

Oumar Ballo with 21 points, 17 rebounds, 2 steals, and 4 blocks

Julian Strawther with 12 points, 3 rebounds, and an assist.

Coming up: Lithuania vs. Serbia at 5:30 AM.

Lithuania vs. Serbia now under way. Box Score. I'm watching on ESPN+ ($5.43 per month)

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Lithuania vs. Serbia now under way. Box Score. I'm watching on ESPN+ ($5.43 per month)
    Not sure if it's available in America, but the game is also streamed on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Not sure if it's available in America, but the game is also streamed on youtube.
    Says it's not available in my country.

Lithuania leads it 28-20 at the end of the first quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bedding aside, I just think it’s prudent, if not advisable, for this board to not characterize the player as a Zag. Nothing to do with his talent or likelihood to commit to GU down the road.
    The Appeal has been heard and it's unanimous (3-0) .... Judge Wapner, Judge Judy and Judge GoZags all go with Kitz's ruling.

I hereby declare that Jalen Suggs is a recognized player of high interest for Gonzaga basketball fans and information about his performance in the FIBA U19 WC tournament maybe posted in this thread.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Boy, this Serbia-Lithuania game is a barn burner. Tied up at 79 in OT.

Lithuania wins it 92-85 and will advance to the semis.

Petrusev with 16 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and 10 turnovers(!).

Martynas Arlauskas with 8 points in 30:11, with 1 rebound, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

USA - Russia coming up in 10 minutes.

USA-Russia underway. Box Score

USA-Russia underway. Box Score
    Did anybody ever hear about why Zakharov isn't playing for Russia?

I have a hard time imagining he's not good enough to make it.

[QUOTE=ZagNative;1470657]Lithuania wins it 92-85 and will advance to the semis.

Petrusev with 16 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and 10 turnovers(!).

QUOTE]

Hey, TRIPLE DOUBLE!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Ayayi looks SO good in FIBA! He's really got to get these skills to the GU campus.
    Today’s Game
    Canada 80 v France 85
    Ayayi led France in scoring game high 25 points, rebounds 8 and assists 7.

Who do we root for now?

USA or Lithuania?

Mali or France?

This is a difficult luxury.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    The Appeal has been heard and it's unanimous (3-0) .... Judge Wapner, Judge Judy and Judge GoZags all go with Kitz's ruling.
    As long as the player doesn’t go the way of Judge Crater.

Ayayi was matched up and defended a ton by AJ Lawson, a Top-150 recruit and Sophomore at South Carolina.

Lawson averaged 13.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg his Freshman season, all freshman team in SEC. Known as a solid defender and held his own in a tough conference.

And Ayayi burned him on numerous occasions, even when doubled teamed by Canada's other guards.

There is no way Ayayi won't play next season, if not, then something is up. His mid range jump shot looks smooth, his 3pt is solid (not perfect), his floater is elite level, and his speed is extraordinary. Not to mention his passing/vision has emerged.

He could still use more strength/bulk, yet Ayayi could be competing for serious PT in the backcourt. Great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Suggs signed?
    Home of Gonzaga HOPEFULS

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Ayayi was matched up and defended a ton by AJ Lawson, a Top-150 recruit and Sophomore at South Carolina.

Lawson averaged 13.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg his Freshman season, all freshman team in SEC. Known as a solid defender and held his own in a tough conference.

And Ayayi burned him on numerous occasions, even when doubled teamed by Canada's other guards.
    The other Canadian guards are quality too. Mane is a possible 5 star with offers from Kansas among others. Brown is going to Cal. Neath is going to Wake. Squire only plays at UCDavis but a lot of that is him being undersized, not his athleticism.

That was legit high major opposition and Ayayi was clearly the best guard on the floor. I'm excited to see what he brings this season. If Gilder shows he can be the primary facilitator it wouldn't shock me to see Joel win a starting spot as he's a much better shooter than Woolridge.

79.5% is crazy good, even for that level of competition, in my opinion.

This is one of the most surprising and wonderful threads of the summer. We knew our guys were great, but I don't know who could have predicted they'd have this kind of impact across the board.

And for Joel to emerge …. so many things "change" about this next season if he can be that type of player.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Mali leading France now 32-26 3:16 in the second. Ballo with 16 and 5. Ayayi with 5 and 1.

Box Score

I'm watching on ESPN+.

Mali leading France now 32-26 3:16 in the second. Ballo with 16 and 5. Ayayi with 5 and 1.

Box Score

I'm watching on ESPN+.
    Awesome. If I'm not mistaken Mali is an ex-colony of France. So winning this game would probably be extra special for Mali.