Thread: OT: Huskies load up

Default OT: Huskies load up

Top 10 prep star Jaden McDaniels picks ... Washington

Jaden McDaniels was never your typical high school basketball superstar, and his recruitment was not your typical recruitment. There was never going to be a grand announcement live on ESPN, picking from a row of hats on a table while America waited breathlessly.

Instead, with no hint or warning, McDaniels quietly posted a picture on social media Tuesday at 10:03 p.m. of him in a purple Washington jersey with the message: “I’m staying home.” That’s it.

McDaniels’ other four finalists, named back in September, were Kentucky, UCLA, Texas and San Diego State – where his older brother, Jalen, spent three years before turning pro earlier this spring. UCLA, Texas and SDSU essentially stopped recruiting him weeks ago, according to several sources, leaving Kentucky and Washington to battle for the 6-foot-10 McDonald’s all-American from the Seattle suburb of Federal Way.

At Washington, McDaniels will join fellow top 10 prep prospect Isaiah Stewart, a 6-9, 245-pound power forward, and four-star guard RaeQuan Battle. The Huskies also will add Kentucky transfer guard Quade Green.

They are going to be absolutely loaded. Very dangerous.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

My prediction is that the streak ends next year. A new GU streak will start the following year.

It’s too bad we had the long break in the rivalry. The great majority of those potential games would have gone the way of the Zags.

Ye of little faith. I predict it continues

Depending if Nowell stays in the draft-- they may have lost 5 of their top 6 players -- and lacking a true point guard when we play them (Kentucky transfer Quade Green is eligible in January).

We have an opportunity to steal one in Seattle if we can get our new guys ready early.

Jaden is a major talent, but Anton kicked his butt in both meetings. I have MAJOR concerns about the kid's motor and outright disinterest in the game, and I would feel the same way if I were a Husky fan. It's a known problem with him throughout recruiting circles. Does he love it enough?

I am concerned he could turn into another Heytvelt type guy. But with that kind of raw talent, you must take it. Maybe Hopkins is the coach that brings out the beast within him?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Jaden is a major talent, but Anton kicked his butt in both meetings. I have MAJOR concerns about the kid's motor and outright disinterest in the game, and I would feel the same way if I were a Husky fan. It's a known problem with him throughout recruiting circles. Does he love it enough?

I am concerned he could turn into another Heytvelt type guy. But with that kind of raw talent, you must take it. Maybe Hopkins is the coach that brings out the beast within him?
    Kicking his (Jaden) butt is a reach. Jaden certainly looked the better of the two players in the Washington - Oregon All Star game. He's ranked 7th in the nation. Just because he likes to keep a low profile doesn't mean he doesn't have a motor. I'd like to know your sources that "it's a known problem." Give the kid a break. He is going to be a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Jaden is a major talent, but Anton kicked his butt in both meetings.
    I was at both games and would say "kicked his butt" doesn't describe what happened accurately. Usually you are much more objective than this, which I believe misinforms those who haven't seen either play.

Both games were down to the wire. Anton makes winning plays in big moments consistently, but both games were down to the wire, and G Prep won the second because McDaniels and Eason fouled out; Anton had 4 pts w/ 3 min to go when they were both gone. And it wasn't, as someone here suggested in a previous thread, because Anton fouled them out; he had 4 pts at that point. G Prep won that game because Liam Lloyd went off, Perola (sp?) outplayed his counterparts, and the foulouts. Eason actually outplayed Anton for much of that game, head to head imo.

I do believe Anton will have a much more impactful college career, because he'll be around for longer. But I think McDaniels does more his first and only year.

People have said the same about players like, most memorably, Sam Perkins looking sleepy/disinterested etc.

Maynard = FYI - I saw both games on video. I may have not been there, but I did watch both games.

I agree that perhaps "kicked his butt" was too strong. But Anton was more engaged. He wanted it more. And the will to win matters.

None of my concerns about Jaden have anything to do with the fact that he chose Washington. The GU/UW rivalry means little to me (other than GU wins it as a resume builder), and I don't have the disgust for the Huskies that some Zag faithful do.

It has been known throughout recruiting circles for years that there are concerns about Jaden's motor despite his undeniable upside. That's an objective assessment. Not just mine. I wouldn't just post something that I had not read or seen or talked about with someone who is more informed. He goes with the flow too much. Much like Josh as a high schooler. Lacks a desire to dominate consistently. I will never forget a talent scout tell me that JH will either be the #1 pick in the draft or a bust. Because it is usually hard to coach these things out of kids. It will be interesting if Hopkins can. And I certainly would not say that Anton has the upside that Jaden does. And this goes well beyond just observing his body language or whatever. A guy like that should never be scoring under double digits in a game. Never. Never.
    Last edited by CDC84; 05-22-2019 at 01:47 PM.

First game Watson got Jaden into foul trouble in the 3rd quarter ---Watson scored 22 points in the game to lead all scorers --- Jaden had 14 pts for the game.

Jaden ran into foul trouble again in the 2nd game -- Watson pulled out the win -- did not score much-- but helped out the team in other areas.

Here is a discussion about both players--
    https://www.prephoops.com/2019/03/2019-whos-number-1/

Also, this goes WAY beyond the Federal Way/G-Prep games. I have been hearing these things about Jaden for four years. It isn't invented information.