Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad to see this promising recruiting forum slide into oblivion with Caldwell's exit

Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    After reading this Forum for about a decade, this is my very first post. I decided to post in this thread because I believe that I can relate to Caldwell's frustration and why he left... I would do the same. But the #1 reason I signed up is so I could use the "Ignore" feature to block those who I feel are way too negative and dysfunctional... so far I only have 3 on my list, because IMHO they are way beyond annoying. They too frequently bring super BAD to this amazing Forum for Gonzaga basketball and the GOOD it has brought us fans for many years. Go Zags!
    Thanks for taking the time to post your perspective— assuming I’m not on your ignore list

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This belong here?

Top 10 prep star Jaden McDaniels picks ... Washington

Jaden McDaniels was never your typical high school basketball superstar, and his recruitment was not your typical recruitment. There was never going to be a grand announcement live on ESPN, picking from a row of hats on a table while America waited breathlessly.

Instead, with no hint or warning, McDaniels quietly posted a picture on social media Tuesday at 10:03 p.m. of him in a purple Washington jersey with the message: “I’m staying home.” That’s it.

McDaniels’ other four finalists, named back in September, were Kentucky, UCLA, Texas and San Diego State – where his older brother, Jalen, spent three years before turning pro earlier this spring. UCLA, Texas and SDSU essentially stopped recruiting him weeks ago, according to several sources, leaving Kentucky and Washington to battle for the 6-foot-10 McDonald’s all-American from the Seattle suburb of Federal Way.

At Washington, McDaniels will join fellow top 10 prep prospect Isaiah Stewart, a 6-9, 245-pound power forward, and four-star guard RaeQuan Battle. The Huskies also will add Kentucky transfer guard Quade Green.
    Coach is doing a nice job in Seattle. UW will be tough for years to come. I suspect this is only the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Wilkommen, Herr ZagMeister!

Allow me to offer my solution to those obsessed with being "objective", to the point where it's obvious that objectivity requires pointing out the shortcomings of our players.

Take a few days out of your summer, and put your son, nephew, grandson in a Zag hoops camp. If they're old enough, let them be full time campers for the camp. I had the best of both worlds, as my then 15 YO son was a camper...he had a few days respite from Mom and Dad, while our 6 YO grandson had a few days alone with Nana and Opa.

He had a pretty good time with us, as he's gotten used to Opa's predilection to searching out his next favorite winery. He is outgoing and a knack for making new friends.

What you will find with these camps is the unbelievable accessibility to the players there for the summer. They volunteer their time at these camps, and make themselves available for pictures, autographs, and friendly conversations. Corey took time out from his evening workout to give personal instruction to my grandson. Josh played my son in a game of one on one, and Jesse Wade's brother invited Big D to join him on the court while the Wade family was shooting hoops.

For me, it was all capped off by seeing Eric McClellan shooting free throws at about 10 PM, long after the campers had departed for the day. We had a brief but friendly conversation. He told me he was back at GU for personal reasons, and to "get his head right." As one who had not been on campus for 16 years, I completely understood his point of view.

We weren't even close to winning a mythical award for campers who traveled the farthest, and we drove up from Texas. My DFW alumni chapter shirt drew a few remarks, but there were kids from the East Coast, and I heard there were a few foreigners in attendance.

I try not to wear rose colored glasses, and I admit my objectivity may be a bit clouded. However, spend a few days around them, and see if it doesn't change your attitude about the Zag way of doing things, and how we're members of an ever growing Zag family.

Then, when all else fails, feel free to employ the Ignore feature on those who just can't get the message.

Thank you for the welcome advice, TZF!

The amazing thing is that I've done exactly what you suggested. Over 15 years ago, for a 5-year span, my son and I attended the father-son Zags hoops camps. Some years we camped in the dorms at GU, even though we lived nearby. And the Zag we both probably remember the most? Ronny Turiaf!!

So... I've personally experienced the spectacular, positive and caring energy that many of the Zag players possess and warmly share with others. That's why it's so painful for me to read the negative, cutting, caustic, arrogant, and non-caring words from some on this Board. IMHO there is no place on this Board for the sensationalized negativity that some throw out there. Yes, it comes at us from many sides, from all sorts of media, but Life is too short to waste it in that short-sighted and insensitive manner. Go Zags!

My opinion is that I wouldn't sacrifice a welcome contributor for a big Pain in the a** who distorts or interrupts most threads just to interrupt for personal reasons. Reviewing the posts, it looks like most would agree. Caldwell has done a very nice job producing information we might otherwise not get. As far as I'm concerned his value far outweighs insignificant obstructions or arguments. We have 6 full months till we tip. It's a long stretch without fresh information. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    My opinion is that I wouldn't sacrifice a welcome contributor for a big Pain in the a** who distorts or interrupts most threads just to interrupt for personal reasons. Reviewing the posts, it looks like most would agree. Caldwell has done a very nice job producing information we might otherwise not get. As far as I'm concerned his value far outweighs insignificant obstructions or arguments. We have 6 full months till we tip. It's a long stretch without fresh information. Just my opinion.
    Agreed

But there’s no new info. Much ado about nothing per new post that Nix is staying 2020, for example

But there’s no new info. Much ado about nothing per new post that Nix is staying 2020, for example
    I think that’s the point. We have many who act time they are “insiders” but nobody who actually posts anything of value. Doesn’t necessarily make Suggs, Nix etc any less likely, just less reassurance from Caldwell and argument from others along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    I think that’s the point. We have many who act time they are “insiders” but nobody who actually posts anything of value. Doesn’t necessarily make Suggs, Nix etc any less likely, just less reassurance from Caldwell and argument from others along the way.
    Doesn't make it more likely. Jenkins signed w/LV, Nix staying a 2020, Thornton in the wind, and Suggs eyeing football......not inspiring.

Doesn't make it more likely. Jenkins signed w/LV, Nix staying a 2020, Thornton in the wind, and Suggs eyeing football......not inspiring.
    Don’t be so down Jazz (let me clarify your post )
    Jenkins signed with UNLV because we didn’t want him.
    Nix is probably staying in 2020 as was always expected although not hoped for.
    The wind Thornton is in seems to be blowing him to Spokane. He is just doing his normal due dilligence and hopefully getting some free visits.
    There is no evidence Suggs is eyeing football. Caldwell always said “June” for his commitment and truthfully, I never expected it to happen quite that soon.
    The world has not collapsed yet. We have signed two top 40 type recruits already for 2020 with more on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Don’t be so down Jazz (let me clarify your post )
    Jenkins signed with UNLV because we didn’t want him.
    Nix is probably staying in 2020 as was always expected although not hoped for.
    The wind Thornton is in seems to be blowing him to Spokane. He is just doing his normal due dilligence and hopefully getting some free visits.
    There is no evidence Suggs is eyeing football. Caldwell always said “June” for his commitment and truthfully, I never expected it to happen quite that soon.
    The world has not collapsed yet. We have signed two top 40 type recruits already for 2020 with more on the way.
    It still walks like a duck, but thanks anyway, Blue.

lol, feels like we need a Debbie Downer soundbyte after some of the posts these days.

It still walks like a duck, but thanks anyway, Blue.
    15 of the Top 100 from 2020 have even committed, and two of them are to the Zags. Love that the negative thing is your shtick here, but it's old.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    lol, feels like we need a Debbie Downer soundbyte after some of the posts these days.
    No thanks, I get enough of that from my better half on a daily basis. Funny thing is, she caught Zag fever during our visit to Spokane two summers ago. Apparently she's recovered, as she thinks I should quit spending so much time on GU Boards.

I predict she'll have a relapse in December, when the Zags play Texas A&M in College Station.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    No thanks, I get enough of that from my better half on a daily basis. Funny thing is, she caught Zag fever during our visit to Spokane two summers ago. Apparently she's recovered, as she thinks I should quit spending so much time on GU Boards.

I predict she'll have a relapse in December, when the Zags play Texas A&M in College Station.
    Which way will the fever go? Isn't she an A&M fan?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Suggs will not play football in college... he knows where his bread will be buttered.... the unknown keeps the interest growing and that is part of the fun about being a recruit, along with the trips... Suggs is a Zag... he just hasn't shared it with the rest of us yet...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I agree Blah. After spending some time on his videos, I do believe he's among the most talented kids we've had at the PG slot. Plus with Dom and Strawther romancing him to join us, I doubt he'll go elsewhere. It's just such a good fit.

I agree Blah. After spending some time on his videos, I do believe he's among the most talented kids we've had at the PG slot. Plus with Dom and Strawther romancing him to join us, I doubt he'll go elsewhere. It's just such a good fit.
    Agree Doc, Dom and Straw and all the bigs he gets to feed the ball to.... and Ravet... unlike some folks here Suggs knows first hand Ravet can ball... the potential is unreal.... just have to wait patiently.... it's time for Coach and staff to get their first Natty.... and that's a team that can deliver it...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Imagining a trio of Suggs, Harris, & Strawther is amazing.

Combined with guys like Timme, Ballo, Watson, et al is spectacular. Although at least a few of these guys will be gone after Year 2.

Lightning in a bottle for at least a season, and if they do something special, they may want to stick around longer, who knows.

I cant even imagine that group as a group of soph guards and jr bigs. I wonder if there is a prop bet out there yet for the 2021 NCAA National Champions.