• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Dave Jenkins follows his coach to UNLV.

South Dakota State transfer David Jenkins announced his commitment to UNLV on Saturday, giving the Runnin' Rebels one of the top sit-out transfers in the country.

Jenkins chose UNLV over Gonzaga and Oregon.

A 6-foot-2 sophomore shooting guard from Tacoma, Washington, Jenkins left South Dakota State after head coach TJ Otzelberger left the Jackrabbits to take over at UNLV. He will be following his former head coach to the desert.

Who knew!! Follows his present coach to UNLV. I'd say we really didn't have much of a chance!!
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
    South Dakota State transfer David Jenkins announced his commitment to UNLV on Saturday, giving the Runnin' Rebels one of the top sit-out transfers in the country.

Jenkins chose UNLV over Gonzaga and Oregon.

A 6-foot-2 sophomore shooting guard from Tacoma, Washington, Jenkins left South Dakota State after head coach TJ Otzelberger left the Jackrabbits to take over at UNLV. He will be following his former head coach to the desert.

Who knew!! Follows his present coach to UNLV. I'd say we really didn't have much of a chance!!
    I think that, since he will have to sit out a year, the Zags weren't really willing to give up a schollie for him, not with Suggs and maybe Nix waiting to use it.
    Once Admon committed, there was no real need for Jenkins.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• rennis
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

That sucks. I had heard from a few sources that he was pretty much a sure thing. Bummer.
      Originally posted by Coach Few
      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
        That sucks. I had heard from a few sources that he was pretty much a sure thing. Bummer.
        It takes two to tango (to the end of the song) ... and this outcome doesn't suck. At least that's my 'informed' opinion ....
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• ZagBlue
          Kennel Club Material
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          It takes two to tango (to the end of the song) ... and this outcome doesn't suck. At least that's my 'informed' opinion ....
          This! I am in total agreement. Jenkins was ours if we wanted him. I believe the staff decided that they had bigger fish to catch and preferred to have that roster spot available.
          Now let’s hope it all works out.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

IMO, it would take a very, very special player for the Zags to bring in a non-graduate transfer, i.e. another Brandon Clarke, Micah Downs, Kyle Wiltjer, etc. Was Jenkins that special? Could be, but I had little doubt he would follow his coach to UNLV.

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

I think some are missing the point here. Gonzaga was the disinterested party in this case, not the player.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                I think some are missing the point here. Gonzaga was the disinterested party in this case, not the player.
                I think that’s what the three preceding posts were saying.
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I never quite understood the interest from the beginning with the elite guard talent that GU is pursuing for 2020, but maybe they just wanted to see if there was something there. Sometimes you cannot make these assessments unless you see the kid in person. The kid is just 6-2 and is known for being a defensive liability. The staff has shown a consistent effort over the last several classes to bring in freshmen or transfers who are no shorter than 6-3, with 6-4 and 6-5 being the ideal. That height has made a difference on the defensive end. I have no idea if Ravet is taller than 6-1 now, but the team already has a short scoring threat with an elite jumper. Too much duplication. Keep in mind too that by 2000/01, Ravet will have one full year of D1 experience under his belt, and we all know about the jump in improvement that we see in GU players between their freshman and soph years.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                    I never quite understood the interest from the beginning with the elite guard talent that GU is pursuing for 2020, but maybe they just wanted to see if there was something there. Sometimes you cannot make these assessments unless you see the kid in person. The kid is just 6-2 and is known for being a defensive liability. The staff has shown a consistent effort over the last several classes to bring in freshmen or transfers who are no shorter than 6-3, with 6-4 and 6-5 being the ideal. That height has made a difference on the defensive end. I have no idea if Ravet is taller than 6-1 now, but the team already has a short scoring threat with an elite jumper. Too much duplication. Keep in mind too that by 2000/01, Ravet will have one full year of D1 experience under his belt, and we all know about the jump in improvement that we see in GU players between their freshman and soph years.
                    I always wondered... when a kid comes on a visit, specifically a transfer, do the coaches or someone work the kid out? Maybe it is outlawed for a coach to do so, but are other players playing against the kid and then telling the coaching staff whether or not that kid can compete at GU's level? I imagine just watching game and highlight tape may not tell a coach all that they need to know before deciding to offer a limited scholarship to that kid.

Comment

• ZagBlue
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                      I always wondered... when a kid comes on a visit, specifically a transfer, do the coaches or someone work the kid out? Maybe it is outlawed for a coach to do so, but are other players playing against the kid and then telling the coaching staff whether or not that kid can compete at GU's level? I imagine just watching game and highlight tape may not tell a coach all that they need to know before deciding to offer a limited scholarship to that kid.
                      Some schools will have the kid workout or play with members of the team. Other schools simply chose not to. It really depends on the coaching staff philosophy as to what they think will resonate best with recruits. In this specific case with Jenkins though, it wouldn’t have mattered. Essentially we wanted that scholarship open and prioritized such.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

I think that’s what the three preceding posts were saying.
                        I understood that but it didn’t seem others were, to me at least. The post before mine stated he knew Jenkins would follow his coach to UNLV as if the player never seriously considered us.

Comment

Working...
                        X