Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continued Discussion about Brock Ravet and 2019-20 PG for Gonzaga

Default Continued Discussion about Brock Ravet and 2019-20 PG for Gonzaga

As I stated in the now closed thread, I truly feel that Brock Ravet has the offensive skills to be the starting PG for Gonzaga as a freshman this coming season. I think there is near universal agreement that Ravet needs to improve his defense to get playing time.

This all remains to be seen, but my prediction is that we will all be pleasantly surprised by Brock Ravet by no later than mid December.

My prediction for the starting 5 (considering the loss of Norvell and the return of Tillie)

Ravet
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Timme

Bench -
    Petrusev
    Watson
    Ayayi
    Arlauskas
    Ballo
    Zakharov (RS?)
    Foster

Timme starting over Petrusev might be controversial. Timme at C instead of PF combined with Tillie might be controversial, but I think that Tillie stretches the floor more from the PF position. I think that Timme starting makes our team more "position less". Watson will likely play A LOT, and at the 4, 3, and 5 (in that order).

Please, please, please keep this thread on topic; or at the very least civil. I would hate for this one to get locked.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    As I stated in the now closed thread, I truly feel that Brock Ravet has the offensive skills to be the starting PG for Gonzaga as a freshman this coming season. I think there is near universal agreement that Ravet needs to improve his defense to get playing time.

This all remains to be seen, but my prediction is that we will all be pleasantly surprised by Brock Ravet by no later than mid December.

My prediction for the starting 5 (considering the loss of Norvell and the return of Tillie)

Ravet
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Timme

Bench -
    Petrusev
    Watson
    Ayayi
    Arlauskas
    Ballo
    Zakharov (RS?)
    Foster

Timme starting over Petrusev might be controversial. Timme at C instead of PF combined with Tillie might be controversial, but I think that Tillie stretches the floor more from the PF position. I think that Timme starting makes our team more "position less". Watson will likely play A LOT, and at the 4, 3, and 5 (in that order).

Please, please, please keep this thread on topic; or at the very least civil. I would hate for this one to get locked.
    Regarding Timme, I admit to a personal bias. He brings to the Zags a nonstop motor, and an "it" factor. He's been the stud on his teams for at least the past two years. He isn't intimidated and has all the tools you look for in a big man. I'm telling you, surrounded by sharpshooters (something he was lacking the past two years) Drew's going to rack up some triple doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post

Ravet
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Timme

Bench -
    Petrusev
    Watson
    Ayayi
    Arlauskas
    Ballo
    Zakharov (RS?)
    Foster

I don't think that Tillie returns, maybe something has been said I'm not aware of. I think that you swap in Petrusev for Tillie and you are pretty close based on who is here.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Regarding Timme, I admit to a personal bias. He brings to the Zags a nonstop motor, and an "it" factor. He's been the stud on his teams for at least the past two years. He isn't intimidated and has all the tools you look for in a big man. I'm telling you, surrounded by sharpshooters (something he was lacking the past two years) Drew's going to rack up some triple doubles.
    Your excitement is palpable. He is going to be exciting.

But "triple doubles"?

Those aren't a "thing" in the college game. One needs 8 more minutes and 6 less seconds on the shot clock, I think, for those to become something that happens in the college game. At least, it has been until now.

It does seem like he'll be quite good.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I’ll take a shot at it.

Thornton
    Gildor
    Kispert
    Timme
    Petrusev

Watson
    Ravet
    Then I’m not really sure in what order the rest follow in.

If no Thornton...

Gildor
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme
    Petrusev

Ravet
    We really need Thornton or another guard.

Defend and keep the ball moving
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I’ll take a shot at it.

Thornton
    Gildor
    Kispert
    Timme
    Petrusev

Watson
    Ravet
    Then I’m not really sure in what order the rest follow in.

If no Thornton...

Gildor
    Kispert
    Watson
    Timme
    Petrusev

Ravet
    We really need Thornton or another guard.
    Kispert isn't a 2, in my opinion. W/o another guard, the choice is Ravet, Foster or Ayayi.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Kispert isn't a 2, in my opinion. W/o another guard, the choice is Ravet, Foster or Ayayi.
    I’ll agree with that. Ravet would be my prediction among the three, though I think it’s highly probable we land a grad transfer (even if Thornton chooses elsewhere).

Watching Timme drive to the hoop reminds me so much of Olynyk

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I don’t believe Ayayi or Foster is an option at this point. While I agree Kispert isn’t a prototypical 2, if I’m starting my five best players it’s Gildor, Kispert, Watson, Timme and Petrusev at this time.

Since Brandon Williams has been recruited over (3 more guards!!!) I think he’d be an ideal running mate cor Brock.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I don’t believe Ayayi or Foster is an option at this point. While I agree Kispert isn’t a prototypical 2, if I’m starting my five best players it’s Gildor, Kispert, Watson, Timme and Petrusev at this time.
    True, but Gilder isn't really a one.

W/o a grad transfer or a different stud freshman point, Ravet will be the stud freshman point. IMO
    Last edited by willandi; 05-15-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

More interesting will be who finishes the game. That won't be defined until six to eight games are in the books.

No biggie, but lets get the name spellings correct.

It is Admon Gilder

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

But "triple doubles"?

Those aren't a "thing" in the college game. One needs 8 more minutes and 6 less seconds on the shot clock, I think, for those to become something that happens in the college game. At least, it has been until now.

there was a guy from BYU not so long ago that racked up quite a few ... Collinsworth, i believe his name was. just saying. there's a point guard on for Oregon in the women's college game that has racked up a bunch, as well. triple-doubles aren't common, but they certainly happen enough to be noted.

For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about Brock Ravet. My inner voice was loud and clear, "The important thing about Brock is that he's a winner." He'll certainly compete for the starting point guard position, and my money is on Ravet. I've seen him play a lot and he has a very, very strong will to win. And he has all the tools to help the Zag continue to be winners at a very high level. ALL THE TOOLS.

I want to say a little bit about B League basketball in Washington State because so many here don't really understand how tough it is, and how skilled the players are. I coached in a B League on the Coast, and it was really competitive and the game was played at a high level. The schools, and thus the communities, in these leagues are small, and the people living in these communities LOVE basketball. It is their life during the winter months. The fans are rabid, much like Gonzaga fans.
    When thinking about players who came to Gonzaga from the B conferences, I first think of Billy Suter. Suter came from Morton, and was a State Champion. For those who remember him, know what I'm talking about. This was a young man who was 5' 9" tall but thought he was 6' 5". He was unstoppable, and was the point guard for one of the great Gonzaga team of that era (Mid 60's). Billy, as he was called, was my mentor and helped me become the very good guard that I became at Gonzaga. I was only 6 foot tall, and came from a small A league conference in our wonderful state. Suter taught me the necessary tricks for little people who play among the giants.
    Next I think of Pendo, a 6'5" small forward who had to play power forward for the Zags. So in this sense, Pendo was little also. And like Suter he was as tough and as good as any 6'10" player he went up against. These players who come from small B Leagues have become legends at Gonzaga. And their personas live on in Zag lore.
    I believe that Ravet will carry on in the tradition of both Pendo and Suter. I believe Zag fans will fall in love with him just as you did for Suter and Pendo. I'm one who is thankful that Few continues to recruit players who come from the smaller leagues in the state.

Go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

But "triple doubles"?

FWIW, Drew averaged 20+ points and 12+ rebounds per game. HS games in Texas (and probably elsewhere) are 32 minutes. Surround him with good shooters, and the occasional ten assist game is doable. Based on my small sample size of seeing him in person, he knows how to pass out of double and triple teams, something our bigs not named Karnowski struggled with the past several years.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Since Brandon Williams has been recruited over (3 more guards!!!) I think he’d be an ideal running mate cor Brock.
    The stumbling block in your plan is he'd have to sit out a year....and 2020 could be delivering us a fully loaded back court.

O/T, construction continues in the area you were recruited...mixed use development designed for high earners, in the middle of one of the best school districts in Texas. Young marrieds are flocking to the area, as construction is near completion on a third elementary school within a two mile radius, and a new middle school was added this school year. Grandparents are staying put to assist with childcare, and to simply stay close to their grandkids. Target rich environment for world class physicians, Abe...

We'll be here at least a few more years, though I'm ready to move to the Hill Country at the moment my better half gives the go ahead. The window of opportunity really opens when Big D becomes a teenager in 5 years, and all that portends. lol

Many apologies for the diversion to the thread, former.

But "triple doubles"?

Timme should be a very good player and understand TZF's exuberance...in order for anyone to have 10 assists in a game, the players receiving the pass/ball have to "finish!" In the NBA those triple-doubles are common because those players are top notch athletes and are all able to finish. In our game, yes we have fewer minutes, a longer shot clock and fewer great athletes that can catch and finish...also needed is a PG with an "imagination," who should be like an artist with a paint brush...

I'm hoping that Ravet will be that "artist" and from what I've seen he will be terrific - and imo could be a much better passer than Pangos, when he was a freshman

FWIW, Drew averaged 20+ points and 12+ rebounds per game. HS games in Texas (and probably elsewhere) are 32 minutes. Surround him with good shooters, and the occasional ten assist game is doable. Based on my small sample size of seeing him in person, he knows how to pass out of double and triple teams, something our bigs not named Karnowski struggled with the past several years.
    I understand.

We'll see. I am very excited to have him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMcFadden View Post
    there was a guy from BYU not so long ago that racked up quite a few ... Collinsworth, i believe his name was. just saying. there's a point guard on for Oregon in the women's college game that has racked up a bunch, as well. triple-doubles aren't common, but they certainly happen enough to be noted.
    Good point. Collinsworth did have some, didn't he? Very very rare in the college game, though.

He was a very special player, fantastic athlete. Hard to believe (for me) that there's not a place in the NBA for a kid like Collinsworth.

If Timme can pass out of double teams and play with the smarts of someone like Collinsworth, we'll be in good shape.
    Mark Twain.

We're talking rarefied air here. The likes of Oscar Robertson, Shaq, Draymond and most recently, Ja Morant. Even those guys had 10 or less triple doubles in their college careers.

Kyle was quite possibly my favorite non Zag in the WCC over the last several years. He has the record with twelve.

If Timme has games in the 15-10-5 range, he'll be an All American.

The stumbling block in your plan is he'd have to sit out a year....and 2020 could be delivering us a fully loaded back court.

O/T, construction continues in the area you were recruited...mixed use development designed for high earners, in the middle of one of the best school districts in Texas. Young marrieds are flocking to the area, as construction is near completion on a third elementary school within a two mile radius, and a new middle school was added this school year. Grandparents are staying put to assist with childcare, and to simply stay close to their grandkids. Target rich environment for world class physicians, Abe...

We'll be here at least a few more years, though I'm ready to move to the Hill Country at the moment my better half gives the go ahead. The window of opportunity really opens when Big D becomes a teenager in 5 years, and all that portends. lol

Many apologies for the diversion to the thread, former.
    I think that Ravet is going to a player that helps us immediately and will be better than some think he will. I think he plays plenty even if we bring in another guard for next season.

On the other statement, not that there is any rumbling or talk of Brandon leaving Arizona. I wonder if he could claim hardship based on the recruiting scandal that Miller/Arizona are in? He also was injured so he may be able to claim hardship as he was being replaced due to the injury, whether that is the case or not. Again, I'm not saying he is even thinking about it or an option, just wondering if that seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Not to turn this into a Brandon Williams thread, but even if he wanted to transfer I don't think he'd be on our radar with his knee injury woes.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMcFadden View Post
    I think Sabrina has 16 or 18 for her career now. She's a fantastic player; considered leaving early to be first pick in WNBA draft, but is returning for sr year. A big part of those triples, it should be noted, is that she has had three other 42%+ 3 pt shooters receiving her passes, and AA post Ruthy Hebard, who is close to a 70% finisher around the rim.

Triple doubles from the center/pf position are pretty hard to come by.