Thread: Withers: Zags flying in turbulent skies

Default Withers: Zags flying in turbulent skies

This ain't rocket surgery!

One of his best, recommend it to everyone. Nice job, SO50.

This>

Maybe I’m misreading, but the trend, even among the marginal, is toward cutting college classes and taking a flyer on the NBA draft. Not very long ago, the operative guideline was: If you can get the guaranteed first-round money, you go. If not, you stay. Now, players like Norvell and Jaylen Nowell of Washington, widely projected as sub-first-round talents, are poised to stay in the draft.

Doesn't feel like he's misreading.

Exciting and yet, weird, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I am really surprised that Withers didn't ask Fran ANYTHING about Drew Timme. Richardson is not that far from Dallas. He asked him about Gilder because both Fran and Gilder come from Dallas.

Gotta remember Anton Watson as well when evaluating next year's bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I am really surprised that Withers didn't ask Fran ANYTHING about Drew Timme. Richardson is not that far from Dallas. He asked him about Gilder because both Fran and Gilder come from Dallas.

How soon till all these new pieces can start playing together? So many new faces. This season might be Mark Few’s finest.

We may be a little off the radar which is a great place to be while suffering a new sort of growing pain.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

There’s oftentimes too many players to funnel through that until some guys arrive on campus it’s almost impossible to predict how they turn out. Case in point Ja Morant. I’ve heard cases about most of next year’s class being the most exciting addition to the roster. Until the game clock starts ticking, it’s hard to really say who will be ready.

I really wish I was as optimistic as some posters here. Given that many of said posters are far more knowledgeable than I, my hopes are boosted by their optimism.

That said, I think it could be tough sledding for GU next year regardless of who arrives on campus and how talented/ready/prepared the freshmen are. The overall future of the program is in great shape, no doubt. Perhaps better than ever. The early entrants and NBA success of players is actually, ultimately, a good thing for the reputation of Gonzaga. UW's recruiting prowess over the years seemed to have a lot less to do with tournament appearances and wins, and a lot more to do with putting guys in the NBA who succeeded at that high level. Collins and Sabonis have certainly made inroads in that respect already, and there's more to come.

And yet, I also believe that basketball is a game that is ultimately about team cohesion and familiarity. It's why a group of crusty regulars at the Y can beat a more talented group of younger, more talented guys who don't know each other. It's why the superteams assembled in the NBA rarely win in their first year. It's why Kentucky and Duke sometimes struggle with a roster full of 5* McD's All Americans while a team of modestly talented players at Virginia (Hunter notwithstanding) were so dominant this past year. Gonzaga has the unique challenge of an inverted schedule, meaning this group will get tested early. Ultimately that may be a good thing. But I do worry that the regular season will have more "turbulence" and bumps than we are accustomed to as a fan base. I would, of course, be thrilled to be wrong.

I will say that beyond all else my hopes for next year are buoyed by the Zags coaching staff. I am in awe of that group and all they do, including player development, team building, recruiting, and community outreach. All while doing things the right way. Few is an absolute treasure.

Super nice post 24. Sums up the situation nicely in every way.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I am one of the optimistic ones. The Zags have had great turnover this offseason (still to be determined if Tillie comes back), but so have many other teams. Gonzaga DOES get to keep the best coach in MBB , Mark Few, and one of the best staffs as well.
    The inverted schedule is always a challenge but all the pre conference games are against other teams with the same circumstance. I LOVE the Battle 4 Atlantis field. I can't wait to see where the Zags get seeded and who their opponents will be.
    I also want to see the schedule filled in. There are still another 4-6 games to be announced. I expect most will be played on campus here and at least a couple will be tune-up games.

"Celebrating its ninth year of elite collegiate tournament play, the 2019 Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis will include UNC, Oregon, Michigan, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Seton Hall, Alabama and Southern Miss. The annual Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis once again falls during the Thanksgiving holiday. The 12-game, three-day tournament is regarded as one of the most challenging early-season tournaments."
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Bad Boy Mowers. I wonder how often they are used in the Bahamas

I sense the 2019/20 roster isn't totally set yet. More to come.....Coach Few, Lloyd, Powell and Michaelson have more up their sleeves.

When the analysts did their "ridiculously premature rankings," Gonzaga was almost a universal top 15 pick. But I think that was based on the assumption that Norvell would be back and probably Tillie. But they also didn't know that GU had Gilder.

Yesterday, I got a text from one of my best friends dads, Bob N, who is an alum. He said while having a beer across the street from Fenway Park, he met a fellow from Dallas whose 6'10" son is committed to GU. He was wearing a Zag wind breaker and said he was a super nice guy. He said his son loves the whole Gonzaga program and can't wait to get after it.

More to come.....Coach Few, Lloyd, Powell and Michaelson have more up their sleeves.

Yep. DBT (dis be true)

I like to remind folks that NOBODY in the Gonzaga world (other than the staff) had heard the name "Ronny Turiaf" until he committed in August of '01 and was on-campus two weeks later. That one worked out okay.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Yep. DBT (dis be true)

I like to remind folks that NOBODY in the Gonzaga world (other than the staff) had heard the name "Ronny Turiaf" until he committed in August of '01 and was on-campus two weeks later. That one worked out okay.
    Hmmmm.

How cryptic.

We are getting a future all-WCC, 2nd team all-American, NBA, all-time favorite Zag, but won't get here till late summer.

That none of us have heard of.

Awesome.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    I really wish I was as optimistic as some posters here. Given that many of said posters are far more knowledgeable than I, my hopes are boosted by their optimism.

That said, I think it could be tough sledding for GU next year regardless of who arrives on campus and how talented/ready/prepared the freshmen are. The overall future of the program is in great shape, no doubt. Perhaps better than ever. The early entrants and NBA success of players is actually, ultimately, a good thing for the reputation of Gonzaga. UW's recruiting prowess over the years seemed to have a lot less to do with tournament appearances and wins, and a lot more to do with putting guys in the NBA who succeeded at that high level. Collins and Sabonis have certainly made inroads in that respect already, and there's more to come.

And yet, I also believe that basketball is a game that is ultimately about team cohesion and familiarity. It's why a group of crusty regulars at the Y can beat a more talented group of younger, more talented guys who don't know each other. It's why the superteams assembled in the NBA rarely win in their first year. It's why Kentucky and Duke sometimes struggle with a roster full of 5* McD's All Americans while a team of modestly talented players at Virginia (Hunter notwithstanding) were so dominant this past year. Gonzaga has the unique challenge of an inverted schedule, meaning this group will get tested early. Ultimately that may be a good thing. But I do worry that the regular season will have more "turbulence" and bumps than we are accustomed to as a fan base. I would, of course, be thrilled to be wrong.

I will say that beyond all else my hopes for next year are buoyed by the Zags coaching staff. I am in awe of that group and all they do, including player development, team building, recruiting, and community outreach. All while doing things the right way. Few is an absolute treasure.
    so well said. I'm an optimist and huge believer in Few too. we'll see