Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 175

Thread: Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Typically it's to go through the early evaluation process to get feedback on what improvements teams would like to see you make.
    Ok, and what was offered?

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Ok, and what was offered?
    The opportunity to go back to school?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The opportunity to go back to school?
    With extreme prejudice?

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    With extreme prejudice?
    Not from me. I think he will have a break-out year. He will hear footsteps at both ends of the court. He is in his second year, and may have thought he wouldn't play much last year until Tillie's injury.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,051

    Default

    Adam Zagoria

    Verified account

    @AdamZagoria
    17h17 hours ago
    More Adam Zagoria Retweeted Adam Zagoria
    Thornton will visit Gonzaga Tuesday/Wednesday, per source.

    https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/26/...iting-gonzaga/

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Adam Zagoria

    Verified account

    @AdamZagoria
    17h17 hours ago
    More Adam Zagoria Retweeted Adam Zagoria
    Thornton will visit Gonzaga Tuesday/Wednesday, per source.

    https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/26/...iting-gonzaga/
    Duke to USC to grad transfer for final season of college ball...hopefully Kispert, Ayayi, Foster and Petrusev are in Spokane to host him and especially to give coaches feedback after they’ve met him because one could interpret his track record as indicative of a high maintenance personality not easily content w his role on a team. That’s a fair opinion so please don’t eviscerate me for stating the obvious.

    Immediately eligible PG w experience and one year of eligibility is exactly what Zags need this season and for sake of recruiting class of 2020... so I’m rooting for this to be a good fit but wary too
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Duke to USC to grad transfer for final season of college ball...hopefully Kispert, Ayayi, Foster and Petrusev are in Spokane to host him and especially to give coaches feedback after they’ve met him because one could interpret his track record as indicative of a high maintenance personality not easily content w his role on a team. That’s a fair opinion so please don’t eviscerate me for stating the obvious.

    Immediately eligible PG w experience and one year of eligibility is exactly what Zags need this season and for sake of recruiting class of 2020... so I’m rooting for this to be a good fit but wary too
    Could be more indicative of being passed on a loaded Duke team so wanting to play close to home at USC. As for grad transferring, he might want a chance to play in the NCAA tournament whereas USC is far less likely to do so.

    As for players being on campus, if the semester is over I’d think Petrusev and Ayayi would be with their national squads for the summer. Others are likely around though


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,386

    Default

    From everything we've heard, Few gives a good deal of weight to feedback from current players when bringing a new guy in. I'm sure that will be considered.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I haven't been Thornton's biggest advocate, but one of the things that sticks out to me in his highlights is the energy he brings to the court. It's just highlights, but he appears to have a high motor and is genuinely pumped up when his teammates make a big play. Don't know what he's like off the court, but he looks like a fun guy to play with.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    I haven't been Thornton's biggest advocate, but one of the things that sticks out to me in his highlights is the energy he brings to the court. It's just highlights, but he appears to have a high motor and is genuinely pumped up when his teammates make a big play. Don't know what he's like off the court, but he looks like a fun guy to play with.
    By reputation, he is supposed to be a great kid, great teammate, plays great d, brings energy and experience. The only real knock is he has struggled with his shooting. Let’s face it, if any grad transfer was perfect he would be in the nba and not a college senior. To me personally, Thornton is about as good a fit as we could have ever hoped for. With him and Gilder we would go from a backcourt with essentially zero experience to having two guys who have all league type potential. AND they take up no scholarships from 2020 recruits.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    By reputation, he is supposed to be a great kid, great teammate, plays great d, brings energy and experience. The only real knock is he has struggled with his shooting. Let’s face it, if any grad transfer was perfect he would be in the nba and not a college senior. To me personally, Thornton is about as good a fit as we could have ever hoped for. With him and Gilder we would go from a backcourt with essentially zero experience to having two guys who have all league type potential. AND they take up no scholarships from 2020 recruits.
    Agreed. That part is huge. A wealth of experience, without interfering with our future recruiting. What an incredible bridge to have to get all our young bigs some good experience.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pleasanton, California
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    By reputation, he is supposed to be a great kid, great teammate, plays great d, brings energy and experience. The only real knock is he has struggled with his shooting. Let’s face it, if any grad transfer was perfect he would be in the nba and not a college senior. To me personally, Thornton is about as good a fit as we could have ever hoped for. With him and Gilder we would go from a backcourt with essentially zero experience to having two guys who have all league type potential. AND they take up no scholarships from 2020 recruits.
    And with Gilder and Thornton... they will be a very tough backcourt defensively.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    406

    Default

    I'm hoping Thornton joins the Zags this week. Last season Crandall came in late and I feel was behind the whole season trying to mesh with a new complicated system. The earlier a player comes the better.

    Thornton reclassified and went to Duke with a lot of hype as the new point guard. I'm sure the pressure was overwhelming being so young. I think the system that coach Few runs will fit him well. We need a ball handler with experience to help the freshman along.

    Starting 20 games and playing roughly 26 minutes a game for Duke as a freshman shows his ability to perform at a top level. We all know once at Duke you will be either a one and done or a done after one. Ask Chase Jeeter. Making the move to USC probably wasn't a good fit for him but had no choice if wanting a chance to start.







    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I'm hoping Thornton joins the Zags this week. Last season Crandall came in late and I feel was behind the whole season trying to mesh with a new complicated system. The earlier a player comes the better.

    Thornton reclassified and went to Duke with a lot of hype as the new point guard. I'm sure the pressure was overwhelming being so young. I think the system that coach Few runs will fit him well. We need a ball handler with experience to help the freshman along.

    Starting 20 games and playing roughly 26 minutes a game for Duke as a freshman shows his ability to perform at a top level. We all know once at Duke you will be either a one and done or a done after one. Ask Chase Jeeter. Making the move to USC probably wasn't a good fit for him but had no choice if wanting a chance to start.
    Thornton's experience at different schools, learning two new systems [ACC & PAC 12] will help him adjust quickly. There isn't a lot he hasn't seen at this level, and he's played against the best. It makes a difference after awhile.

    Thornton isn't a very good shooter, yet moreso due to his out of control drives around the hoop. He missed a TON of bunnies/layups/floaters last year, yet he's actually a decent mid-range shooter and very much a strength of his. I have a feeling we'll isolate these strengths and maximize his ability, especially in a 1 year scenario.

    He is already an elite level defender, very active hands, and can handle the ball with the best of them. Our system and coaching will help him tremendously. I'm sure his "flashy" play will frustrate Coach Few from time to time, yet give and take with any grad transfer. You aren't going to change his game/ways, yet you can help him channel the best attributes and utilize his various strengths.

    I did hear he absolutely loved his visit to Boston College.

    I'm confident we are the leader for his services, yet BC impressed him.

    Hoping he commits soon as well.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I'm hoping Thornton joins the Zags this week. Last season Crandall came in late and I feel was behind the whole season trying to mesh with a new complicated system. The earlier a player comes the better.

    Thornton reclassified and went to Duke with a lot of hype as the new point guard. I'm sure the pressure was overwhelming being so young. I think the system that coach Few runs will fit him well. We need a ball handler with experience to help the freshman along.

    Starting 20 games and playing roughly 26 minutes a game for Duke as a freshman shows his ability to perform at a top level. We all know once at Duke you will be either a one and done or a done after one. Ask Chase Jeeter. Making the move to USC probably wasn't a good fit for him but had no choice if wanting a chance to start.



    Good line. I love it!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,618

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

    I did hear he absolutely loved his visit to Boston College.

    I'm confident we are the leader for his services, yet BC impressed him.

    Hoping he commits soon as well.
    Wow, go to Boston College, get obliterated twice by Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, etc., don't make The Dance but enjoy a lovely bowl of Boston Baked Beans. (Zags, the better choice. Plus, we got tacos.) Sure hope Derryck enjoys his trip to Spokane (he's here right now, yes?), instantly declares himself a Zag, reaches his five-star H.S. potential, and becomes a GU Living Legend after leading Zags to the Final Four!


    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,051

    Default

    Agree .....but you misspelled National Championship ........

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Agree .....but you misspelled National Championship ........

    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,992

    Default

    Weather is SO fine for the next 10 days. I have a hunch he'd blossom here...............USC is a mess.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    669

    Default

    - timing of Tillie's decision to return is perfect!
    - another great selling point to thornton......a seasoned, all conference player to feed the ball too, heck maybe conference player of the year.....not a stretch.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Has anybody heard any news on Thornton?

    It would seem, to me, that since he was reported to be here on Tuesday and Wednesday that he would either have been offered or not. My thought is that had he been offered he would have accepted.

    Is there a reason that announcing would be delayed?

    Was he offered?

    Was he even here?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,884

    Default

    Today is Derryck's birthday.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Well, I take some small comfort in the fact that Jonah didn't send this birthday message to Derryck: "Happy birthday to my duck thizzz."
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Well, I take some small comfort in the fact that Jonah didn't send this birthday message to Derryck: "Happy birthday to my duck thizzz."
    LMFAO
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Really quiet on this one...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •