Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

Default Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

Everyone knows how I feel, so I pledge to not say one negative thing about him. You have my word. I respect the heck out of Caldwell. If he becomes a Zag I will cheer my head off for him, like every Zag. He is visiting Boston college today.

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
    Source: USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton will visit Boston College today. Also expected to visit Gonzaga and St. John's. Auburn and Texas Tech also in the mix. Immediately eligible. #SJUBB

10:27 AM - May 13, 2019

I am not in the loop, but my impression is that Nix may be the Zags first option, if things can be worked out, and Thornton is plan B.

I also would assume that if Thornton had been offered, he would have accepted.

There is also that 95% that we, the general fan, know nothing about...the proverbial 'Rabbit in the hat".
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I’m not sure why, as mere fans, we’d surmise that we know better than the coaches on this matter. Go Zags. Go Thornton. And if it’s a match, awesome. Let’s make 2019-20 more than just a “transition” year.

While I didn’t post in the previous thread, you are doing a fantastic job, Caldwell. Thanks for your service (and patience).

As a longtime lurker I would ask 'Spy' to consider two areas that might be turnoffs to fellow board members.

1) Quality over quantity(minimize dead horse beating)

2) Regularly needing to have the last word can be very annoying.

Thanks to caldwellzag...This recruiting forum has been a great addition to the GU boards.

Quote Originally Posted by GLJake View Post
    As a longtime lurker I would ask 'Spy' to consider two areas that might be turnoffs to fellow board members.

Thanks to caldwellzag...This recruiting forum has been a great addition to the GU boards.
    A. I didn't ask for your opinion. Unsolicited advice is as equally annoying as overposting.
    B. We have an ignore feature.
    C. You're doing exactly what I addressed in the last thread that was closed, making it about a poster instead of the topic. Please do not derail this thread and make it about me or anyone else, let's keep it on topic; Derryck Thornton. Thanks
    D. At the end of the day, we're all Zags fans. Let's try to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by GLJake View Post

Guys we have private messaging if you want to give someone some advice or talk to them. This thread needs to stay about Thorton. I closed the other one already and don't want to do it again.

I appreciate everyone's passion for the Zags!

I will not say anything bad about Thornton, but I will say this, I hope he goes to one of these other schools.

This country has always been magnanimous in offering people a second chance. As has the Zags program. Thornton has a lot to prove and if he does it here without jeopardizing other recruiting avenues it will be a coup for the coaching staff. Never give up on talent. I’ve seen the light turn on for kids way too many times after being put in the right situation at the right time. If the staff believes him to be an asset, I’m inclined to give him his third chance.

The reasons I like the idea of Thornton, and why I think he would really help this team, are based on what he is. Everything that I've read outside of this site says that he has the ability to get the team into their offensive sets and distribute the ball. I also am of the understanding that he takes care of the ball. When I look at this roster, he seems like a very good fit in that respect. I understand that he is not a good shooter, but what I think he does is give us a very experienced backcourt that has played a lot of P6 basketball. I also think that combining him with Gilder gives us what could be a very strong defensive backcourt that could cause problems in that respect. Finally, I think that we then have the ability to spot Ravet into the backcourt rotation at both spots as he adapts to college ball. For me, I would be very happy with Thornton joining the program.

Now, I'm not saying I prefer him over Nix. Obviously Nix would be at GU for two years at a minimum, if he reclassified and committed, which is always better than a one year guy. I'm just saying that I can see positives in Thornton joining the team and helping us transition to the next year's group. One other thing that I like about having two guys, Gilder and Thorton, that have experience distributing the ball is that I think it helps our class of kids arriving this year. Without players that can effectively lead and distribute the ball, it's going to hurt the development of the other players IMO.

I'm not aware of any attitude issues with Thornton so can't really respond to the posts about "second chances" or "fit". I can say that, as I always do, I will defer to the coaching staff as to whether he fits the culture at Gonzaga.

"I'm not aware of any attitude issues with Thornton so can't really respond to the posts about "second chances..."

Just to be clear, the second chance I was referring to is from a basketball perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The reasons I like the idea of Thornton, and why I think he would really help this team, are based on what he is. Everything that I've read outside of this site says that he has the ability to get the team into their offensive sets and distribute the ball. I also am of the understanding that he takes care of the ball. When I look at this roster, he seems like a very good fit in that respect. I understand that he is not a good shooter, but what I think he does is give us a very experienced backcourt that has played a lot of P6 basketball. I also think that combining him with Gilder gives us what could be a very strong defensive backcourt that could cause problems in that respect. Finally, I think that we then have the ability to spot Ravet into the backcourt rotation at both spots as he adapts to college ball. For me, I would be very happy with Thornton joining the program.

Now, I'm not saying I prefer him over Nix. Obviously Nix would be at GU for two years at a minimum, if he reclassified and committed, which is always better than a one year guy. I'm just saying that I can see positives in Thornton joining the team and helping us transition to the next year's group. One other thing that I like about having two guys, Gilder and Thorton, that have experience distributing the ball is that I think it helps our class of kids arriving this year. Without players that can effectively lead and distribute the ball, it's going to hurt the development of the other players IMO.

I'm not aware of any attitude issues with Thornton so can't really respond to the posts about "second chances" or "fit". I can say that, as I always do, I will defer to the coaching staff as to whether he fits the culture at Gonzaga.
    Exactly how i feel. I see this in no way HURTING ravet's development. A freshman pg doesnt need to start from day 1. Learning from Gilder and Thornton, two older very experienced guys, and still being able to be instant offense and playmaking off the bench can only help Brock.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Exactly how i feel. I see this in no way HURTING ravet's development. A freshman pg doesnt need to start from day 1. Learning from Gilder and Thornton, two older very experienced guys, and still being able to be instant offense and playmaking off the bench can only help Brock.
    I don't have any issue with this, but doesn't it seem like Ravet is getting recruited over a bit? First with the grad transfers and/or Nix, then followed by Suggs the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I don't have any issue with this, but doesn't it seem like Ravet is getting recruited over a bit? First with the grad transfers and/or Nix, then followed by Suggs the following year.
    Cream rises to the Top.... Brock Ravet will determine his PT....

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Cream rises to the Top.... Brock Ravet will determine his PT....

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    I agree with this, with the caveat that everyone is given a fair shot. Plus when Suggs and Ravet went head to head for the only time, Ravet had the far superior game.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I agree with this, with the caveat that everyone is given a fair shot. Plus when Suggs and Ravet went head to head for the only time, Ravet had the far superior game.
    Link? That’s pretty cool....
    Go Zags!!!

I don't really see it as Ravet being recruited over. Right now we really only have Ravet and Gilder for this year. Both Gilder and Thornton would be one year guys so neither really affects Ravet long term and we'd need three guys this year anyway. If we got Nix, we wouldn't likely bring in Thornton so that seems an one or the other situation if we even get one of them. If we are lucky enough to get Nix this year and Suggs for next year, to go with Davis, there would still be opportunity for all to play in rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Someone posted a video of the game in a different thread, may be the Suggs thread. They played against one another last year on the AAU circuit; Suggs had 13points and 3 assists and Ravet went off for 27/8 and on the video, you can hear a woman off camera saying, "someone better guard that guy hitting all of those shots" talking about Ravet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Here's the link to the video on youtube and here's the link to the post in the men's basketball forum that I first saw it identified. Suggs's game against Washington Supreme is around the 9:40 point of the video.

Not at all. March is for guards. We need as many as we can get. Ravet isn’t afraid of the competition.

If the goal is to win a national title, then we need to pile on talent as deep as possible. If recruits want the chance to win a national title, then they have to commit to GU, contribute to the team effort as best they can, and be happy to get the exposure that gives each individual team member. It's up to each recruit to step up to the task and perform. Nothing is given. Everything is earned.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    33s33 seconds ago
    More
    Source: USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton will visit Gonzaga from May 28-30th. Also plans to visit St. John's in June. Recently visited Boston College. #SJUBB

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    33s33 seconds ago
    More
    Source: USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton will visit Gonzaga from May 28-30th. Also plans to visit St. John's in June. Recently visited Boston College. #SJUBB
    Like the fact we get a visit prior to St. John's AND St. John's is waaaaay across the country. (Thornton's from Cal, right?). Hope we seal the deal making a visit to the Johnnies irrelevant. (Plus, we've experience with an SC grad transfer, a big positive in GU's favor.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    33s33 seconds ago
    More
    Poor Spy, wherever he is, must be losing his mind right now!

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
    33s33 seconds ago
    More
    Who pays for these trips?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Who pays for these trips?
    GU, I assume it most likely comes out of the MBB budget.