Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Like the fact we get a visit prior to St. John's AND St. John's is waaaaay across the country. (Thornton's from Cal, right?). Hope we seal the deal making a visit to the Johnnies irrelevant. (Plus, we've experience with an SC grad transfer, a big positive in GU's favor.)

:]
    Distance must not be a factor with where he's played before and his visit schedule

As of now, I would be surprised (almost shocked) if Thornton is not a Zag. Letís get this one done and move on to 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    As of now, I would be surprised (almost shocked) if Thornton is not a Zag. Let’s get this one done and move on to 2020.
    Why are you so confident in your assessment? You have Caldwellesque insider info?

I must be missing something. His stats aren't particularly impressive. ??
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    He is a grad transfer and he isn't Brock Ravet.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Why are you so confident in your assessment? You have Caldwellesque insider info?
    From what I can gather from previous zagblue posts, yes he does.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    He is a grad transfer and he isn't Brock Ravet.
    You guys just encapsulated the GU Message Board content so far this summer.

Stats don't tell everything. By all accounts he is a plus defender and defense is every bit as important as offense.

Also he is more than capable distributor which is an area of concern for next season at the moment.

He's not a good shooter and isn't going to blow us away offensively but that's fine. We've got plenty guys coming in that can score.

Also, as much as I like Ravet, he is going to struggle to adjust defensivdly at the D1 level. No way around it. Gilder can't play 40 minutes a night. Adding another experienced, talented defender to the mix is important to help acclimate Ravet to D1 because he is going to need help on the defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Caldwell is the man, his info was/is spot on. Yes though, I am confident but I canít share why. Things change but in a vacuum right now, Thornton seems likely for Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Caldwell is the man, his info was/is spot on. Yes though, I am confident but I canít share why. Things change but in a vacuum right now, Thornton seems likely for Gonzaga.
    I agree and heard the same thing although I think Caldwell was way more connected than whom I heard this from. In any case, like someone said above, heís a good defender and can distribute the ball. With him and Gilder we will have a ton of P6 experience, good defense, and leadership. It also allows Ravet to adjust to the college game without the pressure of running the team. Those three guys are a solid backcourt if it comes to pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Those three guys are a solid backcourt if it comes to pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thinking is that those 3 in the backcourt WILL come to pass (no pun intended).

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

His previous stats are not all that impressive to me, but we've got a coaching staff that develops players and puts them in a position to utilize their strengths and succeed. If he comes here, I suspect he will have the best season of his college career by far. Whether or not that makes him an adequate successor to Perkins, we shall see (maybe)... I will cheer my head off for him if he becomes a Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    His previous stats are not all that impressive to me, but we've got a coaching staff that develops players and puts them in a position to utilize their strengths and succeed. If he comes here, I suspect he will have the best season of his college career by far. Whether or not that makes him an adequate successor to Perkins, we shall see (maybe)... I will cheer my head off for him if he becomes a Zag.
    My best guess is that the coaching staff isn't looking for a successor to Perkins. Rather, they are looking for an experienced player to come in and play a specific role. It might be as a backup guard who can play from the 1 or 2, consequently getting starter minutes who can defend well and pass the ball well. Sounds to me like that is what the Zags are getting.

Any lack of enthusiasm for Thornton seems to come from a bias of evaluating players mostly through scoring potential. But by all accounts, here is what we get with Thornton: a decent ball handler, a good to very good distributor and a very good to excellent defender. Within the constellation of players we have and the lack of depth at the guard position, why isn’t that an excellent pick up for us (assuming we do pick him up)?

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Any lack of enthusiasm for Thornton seems to come from a bias of evaluating players mostly through scoring potential. But by all accounts, here is what we get with Thornton: a decent ball handler, a good to very good distributor and a very good to excellent defender. Within the constellation of players we have and the lack of depth at the guard position, why isnít that an excellent pick up for us (assuming we do pick him up)?
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

Hit the nail on the head. I would call it a lazy take or uninformed take to just look at scoring numbers. Thornton is a great fit due to 1) experience 2) ball handling and distribution skills 3) Defensive prowess and how that will combine with Admon Gilder 4) Pressure it takes off of Brock Ravet

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

Hit the nail on the head. I would call it a lazy take or uninformed take to just look at scoring numbers. Thornton is a great fit due to 1) experience 2) ball handling and distribution skills 3) Defensive prowess and how that will combine with Admon Gilder 4) Pressure it takes off of Brock Ravet
    5) He only takes 1 years worth of a scholarship, leaving us room for amazing future recruiting.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I thought he decided to go UNLV ???? Days ago...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I thought he decided to go UNLV ???? Days ago...
    That guy's name is David Jenkins. Not a point guard

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Dang. I wanted Jenkins so we could call him”Perks or Penks ”. ��

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Dang. I wanted Jenkins so we could call him”Perks or Penks ”. ��
    You could go with Thornks or Thonks!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Whoops....I am dancing as fast as I can and can't keep up with all the whelping.....sorry about that....

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

webspinnre: 5) He only takes 1 years worth of a scholarship, leaving us room for amazing future recruiting.
    Thank you both. I’d love to be speculating about the following 2019-20 lineup while dreaming about a ‘20 recruiting class of Harris, Strawther and Suggs:

Thornton / Ravet
    Gilder / Ayayi (Kispert)
    Kispert / Arlauskas (Watson)
    Watson / Petrusev (Timme)
    Timme / Zakharov / Bhallo (Petrusev)
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Thank you both. Iíd love to be speculating about the following 2019-20 lineup while dreaming about a Ď20 recruiting class of Harris, Strawther and Suggs:

Thornton / Ravet
    Gilder / Ayayi (Kispert)
    Kispert / Arlauskas (Watson)
    Watson / Petrusev (Timme)
    Timme / Zakharov / Bhallo (Petrusev)
    Did you intentionally leave out Foster? And are you sure you should ignore Tillie?
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a playerís failures as a personal affrontÖ. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

FWIW, Thornton and Perkins are similar players, esp Josh in his final year.

Perkins has rec better, more consistent coaching, and naturally a better shooter, yet they play the game in a similar fashion.

They pass the ball quickly, and with flare.

Thornton is not an offensive weapon yet could be of value for his passing, ballhandling, control, etc.

My only concern is his desire to 'show and tell' for NBA scouts next year. Will he press and try to get his? Attempt to impress with inflated stats/#'s he isn't capable of? While his backcourt mate could be doing the same. I dunno.

He is certainly worth a flyer IF he can play within the system. Otherwise, he is a distraction, and could potentially make us worse not better if the goal is to become a scorer/shooter on offense, which is struggles.

50/50 on the potential with this one

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Did you intentionally leave out Foster? And are you sure you should ignore Tillie?
    Foster was an oversight...if Zags land Thornton, I’d put Foster as 3rd PG, behind Ravet

Tillie is gone imo.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1