Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

Smile My idea is...

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Distance must not be a factor with where he's played before and his visit schedule
    ...that Derrick (if from California) may wish to stay his final "grad transfer" year on the West Coast with a possible three final games in California. His last college year, his family's last chance to attend three games. But you're right--staying West Coast may not matter.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

- so I have read all the comments in both thornton threads.
    - I began from a point of not being too keen on the young man, his numbers did not impress me, seemed to under preform at both schools, and still in search of goals and playing ability that he just might not have.
    - but I have been won over so to speak, I think if offered and accepted, he will be a net positive to the team.
    - two over riding factors, for me, I trust the staff and if they want him, so do I, and I really think our team can benefit from a senior on the team. next year is going to be one of our youngest teams ever.
    - last, I do not see this as an either or, with regards to nix. I think there will be plenty of playing time for 4 guards, and even time for foster and ayayi if they can 'earn' the playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - I began from a point of not being too keen on the young man, his numbers did not impress me, seemed to under preform at both schools, and still in search of goals and playing ability that he just might not have.
    - but I have been won over so to speak, I think if offered and accepted, he will be a net positive to the team.
    - two over riding factors, for me, I trust the staff and if they want him, so do I, and I really think our team can benefit from a senior on the team. next year is going to be one of our youngest teams ever.
    - last, I do not see this as an either or, with regards to nix. I think there will be plenty of playing time for 4 guards, and even time for foster and ayayi if they can 'earn' the playing time.
    Just an fyi - Nix confirmed (on twitter I believe) that he's going 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    You are probably right in viewing Thornton as a net positive for the team. But to me that's not enough. I really hope GU can snag the best possible of all available grad transfers (yes, I want it all). If that ends up being Thornton, then great. I am firmly in the camp that this team badly needs another experienced option at the 1/2 to give the team the best option for success the upcoming season. If there are, in fact, better options for the team out there, then lets not settle.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    You are probably right in viewing Thornton as a net positive for the team. But to me that's not enough. I really hope GU can snag the best possible of all available grad transfers (yes, I want it all). If that ends up being Thornton, then great. I am firmly in the camp that this team badly needs another experienced option at the 1/2 to give the team the best option for success the upcoming season. If there are, in fact, better options for the team out there, then lets not settle.
    There’s not and I wouldn’t say we are settling on Thornton. The staff is excited for him.

We would NOT be settling if we got Thornton. He may not be the best shooter around but he can get us into the offense and play good defense. In fact, if got him onboard with Gilder, I think our defensive backcourt would be real trouble for teams we play. Not to mention we'd have two guys that were able to run the offense. There are no better PG options out there for next season, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    We would NOT be settling if we got Thornton. He may not be the best shooter around but he can get us into the offense and play good defense. In fact, if got him onboard with Gilder, I think our defensive backcourt would be real trouble for teams we play. Not to mention we'd have two guys that were able to run the offense. There are no better PG options out there for next season, by the way.
    I am not in any way apposing the idea of Thornton becoming a Zag. But is it truly accurate to say there may be no better grad transfer guards out there? Others have made the point that there may be options who have yet to withdraw from the draft. I don't personally know if that is true, but if it is, the question becomes, is it better to wait to see who withdraws or does GU pull the trigger now (assuming Thornton wants to be a Zag). Classic bird in the hand situation.

I am not in any way apposing the idea of Thornton becoming a Zag. But is it truly accurate to say there may be no better grad transfer guards out there? Others have made the point that there may be options who have yet to withdraw from the draft. I don't personally know if that is true, but if it is, the question becomes, is it better to wait to see who withdraws or does GU pull the trigger now (assuming Thornton wants to be a Zag). Classic bird in the hand situation.
    interestingly, thornton is scheduled to visit the 28th-30th. the 29th is the last day to withdraw from the draft. so, i imagine the coaching staff will have a good idea of what's available before they accept a binding commitment from thornton. i wouldn't worry about it much. i imagine we'll end up with thornton if the coaching staff believes he's the best option, and someone else if not.

i am somewhat intrigued by thornton, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    interestingly, thornton is scheduled to visit the 28th-30th. the 29th is the last day to withdraw from the draft. so, i imagine the coaching staff will have a good idea of what's available before they accept a binding commitment from thornton. i wouldn't worry about it much. i imagine we'll end up with thornton if the coaching staff believes he's the best option, and someone else if not.

i am somewhat intrigued by thornton, myself.
    I don’t understand the logistics of how this kind of thing works. Have Zags officially offered Thornton? If so, then are they not obligated to honor the offer if he says he wants to #ZagUp?

In other words, if a player has been offered a scholarship doesn’t that mean the school has already agreed to accept a binding commitment if the player accepts the offer? It’d be kind of cold to offer, kid accepts, then school says “psyche” we don’t want you after all.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I don’t understand the logistics of how this kind of thing works. Have Zags officially offered Thornton? If so, then are they not obligated to honor the offer if he says he wants to #ZagUp?

In other words, if a player has been offered a scholarship doesn’t that mean the school has already agreed to accept a binding commitment if the player accepts the offer? It’d be kind of cold to offer, kid accepts, then school says “psyche” we don’t want you after all.
    i don't know much about this stuff, but i do know two things:

1) no one has announced that the two sides have agreed that he will play here, but both sides have acknowledged interest
    2) previously reported offers (including ones where the prospective athlete traveled to visit the school) have disappeared. it's a thing that happens, whether because another athlete accepts first and takes the spot, or the offering school loses interest, or whatever. otherwise, a school could only have as many offers out as they have available scholarships, and we know that isn't the case.

basically, we don't have any reason to think it's a done deal-- and until it is, i don't believe there's any obligation on either side. otherwise, what would happen if nix called us tomorrow and said he wanted to play for us in '19?

Couldn’t they theoretically kick a scholarship player from last year to the curb? I’m not advocating it but thought that was allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Couldn’t they theoretically kick a scholarship player from last year to the curb? I’m not advocating it but thought that was allowed.
    Yes, they could do that.

19. Derryck Thornton Jr., USC graduate transfer

A recent addition to the graduate transfer market, Thornton would offer a number of teams an immediate starting point guard. Among the teams on his list are Gonzaga, St. John's and Boston College. If he were to end up at Gonzaga, the Bulldogs wouldn't fall too far despite the personnel losses.
    ESPN article.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    ESPN article.
    If Thornton’s top options really are Gonzaga, St John’s and Boston College, I like Zags chances. Seems like a no brainer

If Thornton’s top options really are Gonzaga, St John’s and Boston College, I like Zags chances. Seems like a no brainer
    Doesn't that cut both ways? Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Desperate for a Starter-Quality Graduate Transfer might be somewhat of a niche market.

Desperate for a Starter-Quality Graduate Transfer might be somewhat of a niche market.
    I don't know about 'desperate', but looking for a Quality Graduate Transfer at PG is true. It has to be the right person with the right skills.

I expect, as has been stated before, there still is mutual interest in Thornton, hence the visit. We, the knowledgeable fans of the forum, STILL know only 5% of what the staff is doing. They may have a knock-out lined up, and are just waiting to reveal that one.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Could, but GU will never do that... directly.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I don't know about 'desperate', but looking for a Quality Graduate Transfer at PG is true. It has to be the right person with the right skills.

I expect, as has been stated before, there still is mutual interest in Thornton, hence the visit. We, the knowledgeable fans of the forum, STILL know only 5% of what the staff is doing. They may have a knock-out lined up, and are just waiting to reveal that one.
    “Desperate” was probably a poor choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Could, but GU will never do that... directly.
    Luke Meikle, cough...cough.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Luke Meikle, cough...cough.
    Among way many others.

True, and May 29th deadline to withdraw name from draft is fast approaching so perhaps we will be learnIng of other grad transfer PG options soon. Kind of like poker in a way, do Zags offer Thornton and lock him in during visit or wait and keep options open yet thereby run the risk of Thornton going elsewhere?

Speaking of May 29th deadline, shouldn’t we be hearing official word of Petrusev withdrawing from draft soon?

True, and May 29th deadline to withdraw name from draft is fast approaching so perhaps we will be learnIng of other grad transfer PG options soon. Kind of like poker in a way, do Zags offer Thornton and lock him in during visit or wait and keep options open yet thereby run the risk of Thornton going elsewhere?

Speaking of May 29th deadline, shouldn’t we be hearing official word of Petrusev withdrawing from draft soon?
    Flex that is the decision...bird in hand...one could lose both ways...

Petro wasn't in the Combine and there have been no reports of him even working out with a team. So what was the point of declaring? Very odd.....might be a wild card.

Petro wasn't in the Combine and there have been no reports of him even working out with a team. So what was the point of declaring? Very odd.....might be a wild card.
    Typically it's to go through the early evaluation process to get feedback on what improvements teams would like to see you make.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V