Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Interesting curve ball
    Over the outside corner for a KO.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Say what?
    That's old... Will responded to you on page 5 and that turned into a bit of a back and forth between Will and i that culminated in the post you quoted (and spilled over into the main board, I guess). If your question is related to Thornton, please clarify and I'll happily respond to you here. If it's about board bickering, maybe just pm me. Either way happy to have a conversation about it.

Nico Mannion?? Did I miss something? Thought he was super committed to Arizona???

THis kid had problems. Maybe he would have been a good pickup. For me.....something didn't feel right. More good kids to follow. I don't think this is a big defeat.

I hope I am not guilty of rationalizing but his father’s comment to the effect that BC plays more an NBA game gave me a feeling of relief here. That means individual play and that is decidedly not GU play. Sounds like he wants to be the focal point. Not a good predisposition. Onward and upward.
    Last edited by tyra; 06-18-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I hope I not guilty of rationalizing but his father’s comment to the effect that BC plays more an NBA game gave me a feeling of relief here. That means individual play and that is decidedly not GU play. Sounds like he wants to be the focal point. Not a good predisposition. Onward and upward.
    Interesting take. You might be right.

But we still have a depth issue at guard. Depending on how well Ravet transitions, it might be a greater issue than simply “depth.”

West Coast (HS) -> then to East Coast (Duke) -> back to West Coast (USC) -> returns to East Coast (BC).

Wants a place to utilize his playground pick-up game And-1 mentality and style.

Let's be honest, we need PG depth/help, yet 99% knew this wasn't a great fit for either party.

I feel its the best outcome for both short and long term.

Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I hope I not guilty of rationalizing but his father’s comment to the effect that BC plays more an NBA game gave me a feeling of relief here. That means individual play and that is decidedly not GU play. Sounds like he wants to be the focal point. Not a good predisposition. Onward and upward.
    I have been quiet on this but the decision is not a surprise to the staff and the above sentiment pretty much sums up why. Do we need a pg? Yes and therefore Thornton would have been a very nice add. As the above alludes to though, papa Thornton is a huge pain and not helpful to his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    West Coast (HS) -> then to East Coast (Duke) -> back to West Coast (USC) -> returns to East Coast (BC).

Wants a place to utilize his playground pick-up game And-1 mentality and style.

Let's be honest, we need PG depth/help, yet 99% knew this wasn't a great fit for either party.

I feel its the best outcome for both short and long term.

Back to the drawing board.
    99% is extreme. Few and co I’ll possibly give you but everyone here? Idk bout all that lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Please euthanize this thread.

Please euthanize this thread.
    Derryck who?

I wish I could say I will be more interested in Boston College games now, but I won't. I don't quite get the choice. Maybe Thornton wants to take a Night class from Elie Wiesel.

Joel Ayayi

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I wish I could say I will be more interested in Boston College games now, but I won't. I don't quite get the choice. Maybe Thornton wants to take a Night class from Elie Wiesel.
    It’s a great university with a beautiful campus in a great college town. BC was on my short list of potential grad schools when I was in my mid-twenties. He might actually have looked beyond basketball and made his choice based on the right fit for other reasons.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

BC is widely regarded as the third best RC college in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan101 View Post
    I wonder if we actually got beat out by Boston College or was this a case of Mark Few not thinking he was a good fit when he visited.....

It's just really hard to fathom him choosing Boston College over us....Boston College virtually has no chance to go to March Madness while we're a top 10 to 15 team this upcoming season depending on what poll you look at. I'm truly befuddled over this one.
    - I think this was a mutual agreement, gu passed on thornton, and thornton was more into wanting a team that fits his personal goals, nothing wrong with that.
    - but I agree, gu had more to offer in the way of team success than bc.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - I think this was a mutual agreement, gu passed on thornton, and thornton was more into wanting a team that fits his personal goals, nothing wrong with that.
    - but I agree, gu had more to offer in the way of team success than bc.
    that's why we take the transparent/honest/forthright approach to campus visits at Gonzaga. We entertain as well as ensure they are equipped with proper information. Not just a song and dance like at Memphis....err....other schools.

We, along with recruit, discover if its a fit for the foreseeable future.

We share our vision/hope/projection as well as they do.

Sometimes its not the best relationship and other times its the perfect fit.

This seems mutual, as least imo.

Lots of sour grapes on this thread. Unbecoming.

Lots of sour grapes on this thread. Unbecoming.
    Actually, for a recruit who chose elsewhere, this thread hasn't been as sour as usual. Good luck kid, hope it works out for ya. We only know 5% of what's going on right?

Let's start the Anton PG thread!!!!!

Seriously, more time for Brock. Probably is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    Joel Ayayi
    If he was ready the staff wouldn’t be leaving any stone unturned as they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    If he was ready the staff wouldn’t be leaving any stone unturned as they have been.
    Another summer with France and playing vs high level should do him wonders. He will also have the benefit of consistent PT either in front of or primary backup to Brock or Admon. The biggest thing he really needs is confidence so I hope he does well this summer. At this point with known Grad transfers available I put more faith in a guy in his 3rd year in our program and international experience vs a guy coming from a lower level ave 14ppg or a guy who ave 5ppg at a high major.

an important interpretation of his choice for Boston College is to know is
    ONE. we offered and he chose Boston anyway
    TWO. we did not offer and he chose his Plan B
    If this ever becomes known, it will easier for me to form a reaction and opinion that I like

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    an important interpretation of his choice for Boston College is to know is
    ONE. we offered and he chose Boston anyway
    TWO. we did not offer and he chose his Plan B
    If this ever becomes known, it will easier for me to form a reaction and opinion that I like
    Let’s just say that we aren’t going to win every recruiting battle and sometime what Gonzaga has to offer is not what the kid or his family (father) prioritized. Can’t win them all and perhaps this one ended up for the better. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    Another summer with France and playing vs high level should do him wonders. He will also have the benefit of consistent PT either in front of or primary backup to Brock or Admon. The biggest thing he really needs is confidence so I hope he does well this summer. At this point with known Grad transfers available I put more faith in a guy in his 3rd year in our program and international experience vs a guy coming from a lower level ave 14ppg or a guy who ave 5ppg at a high major.
    You also have to understand staff encouraged Greg to explore options, they did not do the same with Joel for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    You also have to understand staff encouraged Greg to explore options, they did not do the same with Joel for a reason.
    This!