Thread: Way OT: John Beilein

Default Way OT: John Beilein

Agreed to become Cavs coach for 5 years, WTF?

Mods move in a bit. Kind of a bombshell here lll
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Big pay day....one last shot at bux.

Beilein used college scandal as contributing factor in departing.

Maybe Few follows footsteps one day

Supersonics revival means his departure?

This came outta nowhere, wow.

Surprised.

"Beilein has run model programs in college, free of scandal and impropriety. In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of Michigan freshman Ignas Brazdeikis with senior Charles Matthews and sophomore Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender."

Just leave John....no reason for a parting shot at the hand that fed you.....

Wow, big surprise. Solid coach, will be interesting to see what he can do in the NBA.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Wow, did not see this coming. Taking over a bad team...probably fired in 2 years. There is no patience in the NBA, it's win now or else.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Wow, did not see this coming. Taking over a bad team...probably fired in 2 years. There is no patience in the NBA, it's win now or else.
    Still gets paid for 5, so a win-win for him.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Anyone know the approximate pay difference between what he was making at Michigan vs what he will make with Cleveland?

It looks like $2.4-$3.37 mil at Michigan vs ? at Cleveland.

Every time a great program gets its coach hired away, I am grateful Coach Few likes his life in Spokane.

Beilein started as HS head coach and created own system
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    "Beilein has run model programs in college, free of scandal and impropriety. In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of Michigan freshman Ignas Brazdeikis with senior Charles Matthews and sophomore Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender."

Just leave John....no reason for a parting shot at the hand that fed you.....
    honesty as to why one is leaving is good not only for the individuals sole but for the company who is being left for other options if they truly want to reflect on system improvements (but the ncaa wont care as they dont want to improve)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

interesting thought-- i know that next season's roster will probably be a bit of a mess, but Michigan should maybe be considered a top-5 or so job in college basketball right now. think about it, what other major college programs can compete with that combination of history, resources, and ***the guy before me almost certainly wasn't a cheater so i don't have to worry about the cloud of NCAA investigations/sanctions or my new basketball program being brought up by the FBI***? nova, maybe michigan state. gu obviously checks the boxes other than the conference... but taking a job anywhere else seems like a roll of the dice (tho that obviously didn't stop chris mack, for example).

Interesting some of the comments above.

I thought Beilein's name DID come up in the NCAA scandal. Am I "misremembering?"
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Regardless of the pay...I cannot think of a much worse job than being a coach in a players league....especially with the length of the season and the amount of travel .. I cannot imagine there is enough money to get Few to do it...

From Detroit Free Press quoting ex - Wolverine Spike Albrecht: “Recruiting is a pain in the ass, (Beilein) is not someone who is going to go out and kiss ass and do stuff like that for a 16, 17-year old kid. It just takes a lot out of you. ... He actually did things the right way."
    The money Cleveland is offering is not much different than what Michigan could or would have paid him. Most coaches hate recruiting - plus he's getting older. Great loss for Michigan. He's one heck of a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Interesting some of the comments above.

I thought Beilein's name DID come up in the NCAA scandal. Am I "misremembering?"
    to my knowledge, it did not. i think both michigan state and villanova came up tangentially, but i don't think michigan did. i know this isn't definitive or anything, but here's the best support i have for my position: link. it might be a little outdated, but between it being a very reasonable looking list AND the fact that he has 2.5x as many votes as 2nd place (and almost 5x as many as few), i'd say that college coaches' perception (and likely the reality) of the MI job is as I described.

Default Beilein's departure from college is a call for improvement, not a sign of doom

More on Beilein's move to the NBA by TSN. Beilein is considered to be the cleanest coach in college basketball according to other coaches at the D1 level.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...p1l539ae5jk94a

John Beilein celebrated his 66th birthday only three months ago. He is about a year past open-heart, double-bypass surgery. He has accomplished more in his profession, and earned more compensation, than most of us would in several lifetimes.

What if he had decided, subsequent to the Wolverines' outstanding 2018-19 basketball season, to retire to a life of following the St. Louis Cardinals, more time spent with his lovely wife Kathleen and observing his son Patrick as he commences his Division I coaching career at Niagara?

Would that have meant the sport of college basketball was headed for intensive care?

NCAA basketball will miss Beilein greatly as he leaves to coach at the highest level of the game, with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers. It is impossible for there not to be an impact when someone with Beilein's combination of skill, character and personality departs an enterprise. But it is far too convenient - and almost certainly inaccurate - to assert that his decision to depart Michigan was compelled by the nefarious activity nakedly evident at the college level following the Justice Department's two-year examination of the basketball talent game.

Beilein did his business at Michigan so pristinely, he could proclaim at last year's Big Ten media day that the Wolverines did not break NCAA rules, even by accident. When CBS Sports surveyed Division I coaches a while back and asked which of their peers they were confident adhered to the NCAA rulebook, Beilein won in a landslide.

It is a loss, so soon after the last of the cases that came from that investigation was closed, for someone so obviously doing business properly to leave the college game. However, Michigan figures to prioritize that quality in replacing him, so it conceivably could be evened out.

The problem for Beilein at the Division I level, as it is for any coach who has genuine options, is the ever more complicated business of roster management. Beilein has shown, by making the NCAA title game in 2013 and 2018, he can excel in college basketball even if there are others out there not following the rules. But he can't beat the NBA. Given the opportunity, and he was, why not join it?

Default Howard to be named new Wolverine coach

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...t-john-beilein

This is shocking. To go from Beilein, who was as clean as a whistle, to a guy who was involved in the Fab 5 scandal and who has never coached college basketball (replacing one of college b-ball's greatest X's and O's men). I know he has NBA coaching experience, but college is a different story. And Michigan is a university who could've gotten a better coach than Howard. Unlike Memphis who pretty much had to get Penny.

It may work out but I'm with you CDC; saw a short list yesterday & wasn't too impressed.

And thanks for the link in Post #18. My post in #14 was apparently way off. Must have been thinking of someone else.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

As always, Howard is going to need to hire former D1 head coaches as assistants who are experienced with recruiting and the intricacies of the college game. It's the one way a guy like Howard can usually succeed. To understand his weaknesses and hire the right people around him until he becomes better and better at the college level as a head coach.