Thread: Zag Roster Reset

Default Zag Roster Reset

In “new world” of college basketball, Gonzaga has mastered roster retooling

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...nzaga-has-mas/

Likely returning: Killian Tillie (unless he goes to Europe)

Probably returning: Filip Petrusev

Returning: Corey Kispert, Paul Pennington*, Greg Foster Jr., Alex Martin*, Matthew Lang*, Joel Ayayi

Arriving: Oumar Ballo, Drew Timme, Pavel Zakharov, Martynas Arlauskas, Anton Watson, Brock Ravet, Admon Gilder (grad transfer)

We'll likely have another 1 or 2 coming. I see 2 of our players transferring. Although we're retooling and have lots of new faces and lots of work for the staff, we do have enough talent coming and returning to be a Top 10 team. Biggest issue is to fit these guys together. It's a Top 10 team in talent or maybe Top 5. I doubt we'll see this team seriously blossom till January.

Dont sleep on Ayayi. Just turned 19, & turning a corner.

While his ability to pick up the offense/spacing/plays is a continued work in progress, he has terrific touch, defense, speed, & a developing shot.

He was barely 17 when he first arrived, and quickly beginning to gain more strength and tighter handles.

Still not a lead guard, but an intriguing slashing combo guard.

Foster is still a long way from being good enough offensively to contribute regularly yet a good reserve to have as a defensive player and open court weapon, likely 9th or 10th in depth chart for his career as a D1 player. Really good size and athletic ability yet low major type of player who can be used situationally at this level.

Not sure about Foster Jr unless he continues to grow into a bonafide wing, yet I feel Ayayi is a late bloomer, and will be a good contributor if he sticks around.

I know Runner! Joel has all this talent and he shows it in Euro competition. He gets to GU and seems to fade. Perhaps he needs to work harder in practice so Coaches trust him. He's got skills and very good size and athleticism. Shoots well in Euro ball and plays decent defense. Hope he comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Dont sleep on Ayayi. Just turned 19, & turning a corner.

While his ability to pick up the offense/spacing/plays is a continued work in progress, he has terrific touch, defense, speed, & a developing shot.

He was barely 17 when he first arrived, and quickly beginning to gain more strength and tighter handles.

Still not a lead guard, but an intriguing slashing combo guard.

Foster was a long way from being good enough offensively to contribute regularly yet a good reserve to have as a defensive player and open court weapon, likely 9th or 10th in depth chart for his career as a D1 player. Really good size and athletic ability yet low major type of player who can be used situationally at this level.

Not sure about Foster Jr unless he continues to grow into a bonafide wing, yet I feel Ayayi is a late bloomer, and will be a good contributor if he sticks around.
    Fixed that for you...unless you are watching this summer.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Tillie is the key.

If Tillie comes back, this could be the top 10 team that Abe references. So much talent coming in, and so hard to see it all gelling in time to win the early games we need to establish ourselves.

I just don't know how likely. I have never seen a similar situation.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

regarding Ayayi, every game I've seen him play internationally involves a French O that relies on the guards, and him, to penetrate and create, like every time down the floor. not sure how that translates to Few's O, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    regarding Ayayi, every game I've seen him play internationally involves a French O that relies on the guards, and him, to penetrate and create, like every time down the floor. not sure how that translates to Few's O, we'll see.
    It funny, because I saw him driving and creating more for his teammates than the PG, while other people saw it completely differently. I thought he showed good play-making abilities and a good shooting touch. To your point, maybe he isn’t adept at the pick and roll stuff that Few likes. Playing backup to Gilder/first guard off the bench would be a big step up for Ayayi and I’m rooting for him to at least make that jump.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It funny, because I saw him driving and creating more for his teammates than the PG, while other people saw it completely differently. I thought he showed good play-making abilities and a good shooting touch. To your point, maybe he isn’t adept at the pick and roll stuff that Few likes. Playing backup to Gilder/first guard off the bench would be a big step up for Ayayi and I’m rooting for him to at least make that jump.
    I see a creator too, kind of out of control at times but still effective in those internationals. have not seen him run an offense yet though. maybe he can, I don't know