Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 126 to 148 of 148

Thread: 2019- Derryck Thornton Grad Transfer

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    To any recruits who might read these forums, don't pay attention to this guy. I'm pretty sure he's a saboteur and is a st Mary's fan.
    I love how this post receives no attention, but Spy giving his two cents about a potential recruit is waaaay over the line.

    I'm not super excited about the possibility of Derryck Thornton being our starting point guard next season, but if he signs then he has my 100% support, and I'm sure he has Spy's as well.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    C'mon guys all those Mother's out there would not approve of all this bickering...
    America's Team!

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    I love how this post receives no attention, but Spy giving his two cents about a potential recruit is waaaay over the line.

    Is the precedent that we would like set that every recruit that we're linked to automatically needs to be accepted as a member of the team before they have even signed and that no critique is allowed? Please point me to what Spy said that was so inflammatory.

    I'm not super excited about the possibility of Derryck Thornton being our starting point guard next season, but if he signs then he has my 100% support, and I'm sure he has Spy's as well. Isn't part of the fun of being a fan that we all can have differing opinions??
    With this I agree.... almost said something.... I've tempered my angst to reply to such posts....

    Let me be clear about my opinion of Brock Ravet.... when I first saw him I thought he was talented but lazy, he didn't play hard, only as hard as he had too.... what I was actually watching was someone who for the most part had control over the game flow... IMO his passing and ability to facilitate are beyond his years.... he will have his growing pains but who doesn't... the kid is going to make us all smile.... and he can put the brown thing in the round thing....

    Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

  4. #129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    I love how this post receives no attention, but Spy giving his two cents about a potential recruit is waaaay over the line.

    I'm not super excited about the possibility of Derryck Thornton being our starting point guard next season, but if he signs then he has my 100% support, and I'm sure he has Spy's as well.
    What I said is appropriate, his negativity and questioning of the coaching staffs decisions is very old. Don't ever question what coach Few does. If the coach wants a player I'm on board 100 percent. In coach Few I trust.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    Check out Dan Dickau’s sophomore season stats at UW.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-dickau-1.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some caveats w/ that example. He was coming off a stress fracture in his foot over the summer that he re-fractured 13 games in. Also, the idiotic Bob Bender staff had him bulk up btw his fr-so yrs so that he looked like the incredible hulk, and lost his shooting touch and coordination handling the ball. I saw just about every game DD played at UW in person. He was great as a fr once he got some run late in the season, but the Bender offense stymied him a lot in his UW career.

    The point that numbers can be misleading is valid, though, and extrapolating too much from them by fans can lead to faulty conclusions. I haven't paid enough attn to Thornton to make any judgments about him.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    With this I agree.... almost said something.... I've tempered my angst to reply to such posts....

    Let me be clear about my opinion of Brock Ravet.... when I first saw him I thought he was talented but lazy, he didn't play hard, only as hard as he had too.... what I was actually watching was someone who for the most part had control over the game flow... IMO his passing and ability to facilitate are beyond his years.... he will have his growing pains but who doesn't... the kid is going to make us all smile.... and he can put the brown thing in the round thing....

    Go!! Zags!!!
    Love this and I agree
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,534

    Default

    Tacos!

    (& that's the last I'm gonna' say about it)


















    [until it isn't]
    This ain't rocket surgery!

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Spy giving his two cents....
    I'm not opposed to anyone giving their opinion. But I also don't need to hear anyone's opinion as many times as we've heard Spy's on this thread. The over-posting is kind of ruining this board.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I'm not opposed to anyone giving their opinion. But I also don't need to hear anyone's opinion as many times as we've heard Spy's on this thread. The over-posting is kind of ruining this board.
    BINGO!

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    To any recruits who might read these forums, don't pay attention to this guy. I'm pretty sure he's a saboteur and is a st Mary's fan.
    This is a post that does not need to take place. It is a personal attack. Please refrain from these types of post

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    I love how this post receives no attention, but Spy giving his two cents about a potential recruit is waaaay over the line.

    I'm not super excited about the possibility of Derryck Thornton being our starting point guard next season, but if he signs then he has my 100% support, and I'm sure he has Spy's as well.
    Thank you for this post, the other post was way out of line and not appropriate.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Did some research. I’m on board with a great on ball defender and ball handler that takes care of the ball and knows how to get the ball to his teammates in a position to succeed.

    I’m sure the majority of fans would also be on board, especially if the staff believes he would be a good fit for us to add backcourt depth and another veteran presence.

    I counted 3 total people against the idea. Let’s not confuse a majority of the posts in this thread being negative with the majority of people being so negative about Derryck helping to bridge the gap until 2020.
    Spot on analysis. If he can help us win a National Championship then I'm all aboard. I sense some anti-Duke sentiment on this thread which is ridiculous. The kid is talented but he would be a much better Olynk Clinic candidate IMO.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    If that is the case....What about Nix?

    Go!! Zags!!!
    Complicated still.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Complicated still.
    I am not in the loop, but my impression is that Nix may be the Zags first option, if things can be worked out, and Thornton is plan B.

    I also would assume that if Thornton had been offered, he would have accepted.

    There is also that 95% that we, the general fan, know nothing about...the proverbial 'Rabbit in the hat".
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  15. #140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    This is a post that does not need to take place. It is a personal attack. Please refrain from these types of post
    It did "need to take place", anything to shut the guy up with his foolish opinions. Im only loyal to the zags, not a saboteurs feelings. Also it was posted for our future zags to see not everyone is onboard with questioning the coaching staff or the guy's they bring in.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    It did "need to take place", anything to shut the guy up with his foolish opinions. Im only loyal to the zags, not a saboteurs feelings. Also it was posted for our future zags to see not everyone is onboard with questioning the coaching staff or the guy's they bring in.
    As the moderator of the Whelping Box, you need to stop. Spy has been a part of this board for a long time and has his opinions. There are times Spy and I do not see eye to eye, but he has the right to his opinion. Do I personally think he went to far on Thorton, yes I do, but I think you have completely overstepped your bounds as a member of these boards by the personal insults and are risking being suspended or banned. Please keep the conversations on the recruit, not on personal attacks.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    As the moderator of the Whelping Box, you need to stop. Spy has been a part of this board for a long time and has his opinions. There are times Spy and I do not see eye to eye, but he has the right to his opinion. Do I personally think he went to far on Thorton, yes I do, but I think you have completely overstepped your bounds as a member of these boards by the personal insults and are risking being suspended or banned. Please keep the conversations on the recruit, not on personal attacks.
    So a joke that a loudmouth is a Saint Mary’s fan crosses the line while repeated negative posts about the actual recruit is getting a pass because Spy has been here a long time? Wow. I agree with Spy, but I made one post about it. The SMC post was fine and does make a valid point to recruits who might see Spy (or my) post and be a bit unsettled.

    How long does someone have to be here before they get the benefit you’re giving Spy?

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    So a joke that a loudmouth is a Saint Mary’s fan crosses the line while repeated negative posts about the actual recruit is getting a pass because Spy has been here a long time? Wow. I agree with Spy, but I made one post about it. The SMC post was fine and does make a valid point to recruits who might see Spy (or my) post and be a bit unsettled.

    How long does someone have to be here before they get the benefit you’re giving Spy?
    Have you read half of the post in this thread. I have told Spy to knock it off as well. If you would like to take over being the moderator go for it dude.

    The joke crossed the line, as I was already trying to put the Spy fire out and that post did nothing to help. But also the two follow up post after I told him to stop were out of line as well.

    Neither poster gets a pass, but once you are asked to stop, STOP!

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,874

    Default

    Way to derail a thread.

    Caldwell has posted a few times here mentioning that Thorton will probably be a Zag. We need a PG with college experience. He is one. His shooting could be a bit better. Not many other options at this point


    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I will say it again but we probably shouldn't hate on a player who will probably be in a Gonzaga uniform next year.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,534

    Default

    Caldwell, you're doing a great job.

    Really enjoy this forum & all the info you provide.

    Keep up the good work.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Caldwell, you're doing a great job.

    Really enjoy this forum & all the info you provide.

    Keep up the good work.
    Ditto.... appreciate all you do Caldwell .... by the way 50 last time we went to eat it looked like you were sitting on a lot more than 50... ... can't help it... I haven't poked the bear for awhile...


    Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Caldwell, you're doing a great job.

    Really enjoy this forum & all the info you provide.

    Keep up the good work.
    +1
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    316

    Default

    I am personally not sure this move is necessary for GU right now. I think the best decision is to wait till after the timeline has passed for the NBA draft to see who is available. I would say this is a good move if another guard is leaving the team outside of the guys that have already been discussed. It could also make sense if we know we may not be in the mix for one of those guards who withdraw from the draft and can immediately transfer to another team. I would also have to think Nix is still a possibility even though his camp has kept everything hush hush. My recommendation is for the team to be patient. A guard will come our way that will be a great fit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •