Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019- Derryck Thornton Grad Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Geno was OK but he had a very specific purpose; veteran leadership on a team that was projected to go to the final four, i.e. solid bench death. This season is our first rebuilding season in years, this team does not need a poor man’s Geno Crandall taking minutes away from our young players that need to develop. I just don’t understand the point of bringing him in. As another poster said I would rather develop Ayayi and GFJ.
    The Zags arent the Mariners. We are not going to take a year off to develop talent. Few is trying to put together another sweet 16 team at worst. If adding Thornton helps us win the WCC, get to the tourny, and advance past the 1st weekend, I will trade that at the expense of Brock, GFJ, or Ayayi's development. 2020 we are bringing in the stud guards anyways. Brock and crew will be bench depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Jeremy Roach, #2 PG in the country and projected 1st round NBA pick had lackluster stats with the U17 team. I'd really have to see him, or Thornton play, but I'm on board if the staff likes Thornton.
    He was recovering from a torn ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    The Zags arent the Mariners. We are not going to take a year off to develop talent. Few is trying to put together another sweet 16 team at worst. If adding Thornton helps us win the WCC, get to the tourny, and advance past the 1st weekend, I will trade that at the expense of Brock, GFJ, or Ayayi's development. 2020 we are bringing in the stud guards anyways. Brock and crew will be bench depth.
    We will have to agree to disagree. Our current roster as constructed will have a tough time making it past the round of 32. And Brock is better than Thorton currently

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Untapped potential is because of bad coaching. Someone hasn’t gotten the bestnout of him yet. Give it a crack with the best coach in the country.
    At what point does “untapped potential” actually become, “he’s just not that good”? Serious question. I mean, as much as I hate them, he played for Coach K at Duke. And you are claiming “bad coaching”, seriously?

He might be an upgrade over our young guards at this point, but he's well under 40% from the field for his college career and didn't make a big impact while at USC. Have to think we can do a bit better on the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    He might be an upgrade over our young guards at this point, but he's well under 40% from the field for his college career and hasn't made a big impact on a winning team. Have to think we can do a bit better on the transfer market.
    And that’s all that I am saying. I mean he scored two points in his last game in 25 minutes versus Washington. He was extremely overhyped coming out of high school because he committed to Duke, and has completely underwhelmed and underperformed for his entire college career. He is a pretty decent defender and a good distributor, so I can acknowledge the things that he does well. But overall he is mediocre at best and it makes zero sense to bring him in if it’s going to inhibit Brocks development.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Nothing is until.... it is.... Brock Ravet will determine his playing time at GU.... relegating him to the bench will be done by his play in practice and on the court.... there will not be a better ball handler on the Zags even with our 2020 expectations... I think Zag fans are going to be in for quite the surprise with Brock Ravet.... I'll take the kid who has been dribbling the ball since he was two.... with the talent coming to Gonzaga JP's assist record may not last as long as some think... time will tell... none of us know for sure but Brock is a far superior facilitator to Thornton.... if this was just about getting the ball to the right guy in the right spot at the right time.... it's not debatable..... time will tell.... all I know is Gonzaga basketball keeps on giving me a fantastic journey every year.... starting with John Rillie when he shot the Zags into the NCAA tournament...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

HAVE THE ZAGS EVEN OFFERED THORNTON?

This all seems like a bunch of hot air if he hasn't even been offered.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

At what point does “untapped potential” actually become, “he’s just not that good”? Serious question. I mean, as much as I hate them, he played for Coach K at Duke. And you are claiming “bad coaching”, seriously?
    Duke has had the supposedly best team in the history of college basketball for the last 3 years in a row and haven't even made one final 4, even with all that talent and all the help that they get from the refs, yes I would call that bad coaching.

Coaches find a way to get kids to their potential. Sometimes a player isn’t coachable under a certain coach. Of course it would be silly to say Duke has a bad coach. Not really what I was going for, but certainly not good coaching at USC.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Geno was OK but he had a very specific purpose; veteran leadership on a team that was projected to go to the final four, i.e. solid bench death. This season is our first rebuilding season in years, this team does not need a poor man’s Geno Crandall taking minutes away from our young players that need to develop. I just don’t understand the point of bringing him in. As another poster said I would rather develop Ayayi and GFJ.
    Spy - You are very mistaken, if you think that Geno was the reason we didn't go to the FF! I am not going to argue with you on weather Geno was poor, adequate or fantastic BUT I do know, we lost that game because the TEAM played poorly. Don't try to blame this on one, two or three players...

In addition, as I stated above, we know squat about this process and what the TEAM needs to fill its perceived weaknesses. Again, IF the coaches want him and he chooses GU then so be it...This coaching staff seems to have a clue on which way is up.

You are getting all worked up over nothing...there is no indication Thornton is even interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Coach Spy - You are very mistaken, if you think that Geno was the reason we didn't go to the FF! I am not going to argue with you on weather Geno was poor, adequate or fantastic BUT I do know, we lost that game because the TEAM played poorly. Don't try to blame this on one, two or three players...

In addition, as I stated above, we know squat about this process and what the TEAM needs to fill its perceived weaknesses. Again, IF the coaches want him and he chooses GU then so be it...This coaching staff seems to have a clue on which way is up.

You are getting all worked up over nothing...there is no indication Thornton is even interested.
    How on earth did you get that out of what I wrote? I must’ve done a poor, no terrible job trying to convey my point. My apologies. Geno Crandall was brought in to bring veteran leadership to a team expected to go to the final four. People were comparing Thorntons reason for coming to GU this year to Crandalls, and I was merely pointing out all of the major differences between the two scenarios.

Moderators, is there a way to put a limit on how many posts a certain poster can make in an individual thread?

I have stated all that I'm going to state on this particular topic. Again, if the coaching staff is recruiting Thornton and Thornton, if he is being recruited by us, signs with GU then I'm fine with that choice.

I think the Chase Jeter situation is similar. A player from Duke who came out of HS with HUGE upside. Did not do squat at Puke. Is that Coach K's fault? Does the kid still have a tremendous amount of potential. I know a LOT of people here really wanted him when he left Duke and his numbers were not good even compared to Thornton's. If this kid came in and ave 6-8ppg and dished out 5-6 apg, played good D and accepted his "role" I would be ok with it.
    Last edited by zagfan1970; 05-11-2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling

He was recovering from a torn ACL.
    It seems to me that he tore his ACL November 2018 and he (and his team) won the U17 championship July 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.f53fae9708e9
    http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/groups

It seems to me that he tore his ACL November 2018 and he (and his team) won the U17 championship July 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.f53fae9708e9
    http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/groups
    Well, then I stand corrected. My bad. But what was the point of bringing him up again, I honestly forgot? lol

Player A
    PTS... 9.4
    REB... 3.8
    AST... 5.3
    FG%.. 41.4

Player B
    PTS... 7.7
    REB... 2.8
    AST... 4.3
    FG%.. 38.2

Player B is Thornton. He only has to make 7 more shots over an entire year to equal Player A's shooting percentage (who is Tre Jones for Duke). A different system and better players can the assists up by one more per game. Rebounds can depend on coaching philosophy. The biggest knock on Thornton for me is that his FT% was only 66% last year.

I might pass on the FT shooting alone, unless he is only a bench player. That could kill your team in crunch time.

Well, then I stand corrected. My bad. But what was the point of bringing him up again, I honestly forgot? lol
    I don't remember....

The story is that stats don't tell the whole story.

I do not have much faith in duke improving players games while they are there. When a player leaves duke they are pretty much the same player as they were when they got there. A lot of players when they announce for duke are blown up to be super stars by the media, when they are very average players. A perfect example is Cam Reddish, who came in as the 3rd ranked player in the class, and he sucked all year, even though espn kept telling us how great he was. If he would have went to say Purdue, UCLA, or Missouri, all you would hear from the media would be how the coaching staff ruined the player. There are certain coaches such as k , Miller, and Izzo that are above reproach.

Player A
    PTS... 9.4
    REB... 3.8
    AST... 5.3
    FG%.. 41.4

Player B
    PTS... 7.7
    REB... 2.8
    AST... 4.3
    FG%.. 38.2

Player B is Thornton. He only has to make 7 more shots over an entire year to equal Player A's shooting percentage (who is Tre Jones for Duke). A different system and better players can the assists up by one more per game. Rebounds can depend on coaching philosophy. The biggest knock on Thornton for me is that his FT% was only 66% last year.

I might pass on the FT shooting alone, unless he is only a bench player. That could kill your team in crunch time.
    tre Jones was a true freshman, Thorton would be a 5th year senior. Plus Jones can't shoot to save his life.

The story is that stats don't tell the whole story.
    But they kinda do, they don't care about our feelings or emotions.

I have no emotions or feelings about either of those two players, or this conversation.

Since you are into stats, just how bad are Thornton’s stats (ie what would you want them to be before the Zags offered him a roster spot)?

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Moderators, is there a way to put a limit on how many posts a certain poster can make in an individual thread?
    Apparently not.

We didn't want the guy anyway.