Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019- Derryck Thornton Grad Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Is it time for tacos?

Now, back to the regular scheduled program. Derryck Thornton did have 4.3 assists last season. Not bad.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rryck-thornton

A lot of hate for a potential future Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Sometimes we hate our own players even more!

Last guard who transferred here that went to Findley Prep????

Last guard who transferred here that went to Findley Prep????
    Nigel Williams-Goss turned out pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Nigel Williams-Goss turned out pretty well too.
    He was okay. Crazy to think one year of NWG and we want more, one year of Thorton most don't even want.

Strong handles. Can get to the rim and finish. Good athlete. Great defender. Not like he can’t hit an outside shot. No brainer if you ask me.

Also, him and Gilder might be the best defensive starting backcourt in the nation.

Shooting splits of 38.2/28.6/66.0 and was pulled from the starting lineup during the final 5 games of last season at USC.

Am I wrong to think that no other top program in the country would even consider bringing Thornton on as their starting point guard? We have to be able to aim higher at this point, in my opinion.

Okay, Caldwell, spill the beans. You’ve made a few strong comments about this one and it seems folks are too filled with keyboard scout expertness to pick it up! Are we officially after this kid and if so, mutual interest??

You can't discount fit within a scheme. The best possible speculation is that this 5 star just didn't fit elsewhere.

The best coaches maximize a player's strengths and minimize their weaknesses. The best coaches adapt a strategy to fit their roster as opposed to forcing the roster to adapt to a strategy.

Coach Few could make it work by playing to Thornton's strengths and putting him in a position to succeed.

But it all really boils down to one thing. Will Thornton buy in to a role that best suits the team as opposed to himself? Does he understand that team success parlays into individual success? Sometimes, after encountering adversity, and understanding that there are limited chances, a player is more inclined to embrace what the coaches are preaching.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Okay, Caldwell, spill the beans. You’ve made a few strong comments about this one and it seems folks are too filled with keyboard scout expertness to pick it up! Are we officially after this kid and if so, mutual interest??
    Contact has been made and the feeling is mutual interest. Still early though

Contact has been made and the feeling is mutual interest. Still early though
    I don’t understand the “hate” with this kid! Obvious potential and we have plenty of SCORING options next year. He won’t have to score in double figures. Personally I would prefer a kid like this to say Jenkins who comes in ave 18-20 ppg. A change of scenery may be just what he needs to flourish and if he has the right attitude I thinks he’s a perfect puzzle piece.

If Coach, staff and players think Thornton fits, and the feeling is mutual, then by all means full speed ahead.... I want every GU player to be the best he can be.... first and foremost for himself as a person and then as a player in Gonzaga's ever evolving system... I'm a Zag fan....

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Thornton looks to play with a lot of intensity and seems like a tough nosed defender. I do think he's still getting by on his old five star rating somewhat though.

Was watching Thornton's highlight reel and a comparison came to mind: David Stockton. He's a small guard like David (maybe has an inch or two on him) and looks to be a bit stronger, but their athleticism and play style seem similar to me.

Here are their stats for a side by side:

Thornton (Red-shirt junior year per game stats) - 27.8 minutes, 7.7 points, 2.8 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 2 turnovers, 1.2 steals, 38.6 FG%, 28.6 3P%, 66 FT%
    Stockton (Red-shirt season year per game stats) - 27.8 minutes, 7.4 points, 2.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 2 turnovers, 1.5 steals, 43.4 FG%, 23.2 3P%, 75.6 FT%

Thornton:

Stockton:

To be clear, I think Thornton is an upgrade at the PG position as we currently stand (as 2013-14 David Stockton would probably be), I would just probably hold out for a better option to come along.

He was okay. Crazy to think one year of NWG and we want more, one year of Thorton most don't even want.
    Because he’s not very good. His stats have been posted in this thread several times. It’s really that simple

A worse shooting but slightly better distributing Meech? If we bring him in it isn’t because of fit, as Few utilizes the Dickau type guard a lot better than the Meech/PMAC types. I’d take it as a sign of desperation or nothing to lose because we have an extra scholarship. But his style doesn’t fit.

It’s that easy, in your opinion. I will defer to the staff as always and I think we could do worse frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    It’s that easy, in your opinion. I will defer to the staff as always and I think we could do worse frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like who, serious question? What other grad transfer that we're considering put up more underwhelming #'s than Thornton did? This guy isn't a high major level player.

Here's the thread on him from the Duke board:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...USC-131949171/

And here are some posts from the USC board, if these posts don't set off some red flags, then there's zero critical thinking being exercised:

Tkay18: Wish him the best. But I’m happy as a clam right now haha.

TodaysTotal: DT was shown the door. The staff just needed to make sure that DT was going to be able to graduate. Once they saw that he was more than likely going to make it, the staff signed PG Anderson in anticipation/celebration of DTs departure.

Trojanlights: Wish him the best. However some guys I don't see how they garnered a 5 Star rating coming out of high school?

PxPxTrojan: Wish him the best. He showed flashes of his 5* talent, but also inexplicably threw up tons of bad shots and never went to the hoop strong enough to finish.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Bo...rd--131938394/

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Because he’s not very good. His stats have been posted in this thread several times. It’s really that simple
    People that only look at statistics only see part of this story. Spy you should know that. There's a lot more that goes into a kid then stats run a program he used to be a part of, USC, that honestly wasn't very good. The kid was a former five-star recruit for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Here's the thread on him from the Duke board:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...USC-131949171/

And here are some posts from the USC board, if these posts don't set off some red flags, then there's zero critical thinking being exercised:

Tkay18: Wish him the best. But I’m happy as a clam right now haha.

TodaysTotal: DT was shown the door. The staff just needed to make sure that DT was going to be able to graduate. Once they saw that he was more than likely going to make it, the staff signed PG Anderson in anticipation/celebration of DTs departure.

Trojanlights: Wish him the best. However some guys I don't see how they garnered a 5 Star rating coming out of high school?

PxPxTrojan: Wish him the best. He showed flashes of his 5* talent, but also inexplicably threw up tons of bad shots and never went to the hoop strong enough to finish.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Bo...rd--131938394/
    And the post are coming from people like us you only know part of the story. I fully trust our staff and if DT is going to be a part of Zag Nation more power to him and welcome him with open arms.

And there's more to this recruitment then just DT. There's a reason we got out of the Jenkins recruiting. DT is what we need for next year as we need a point guard to run the point and distribute the basketball both things he could do