Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019- Derryck Thornton Grad Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    One man’s “stinks” is another man’s bench depth, I suppose. 4 assists a game is decent. I haven’t seen him play but a former 5* is probably reasonably athletic.
    Bench depth, fine. Starter, heck no. Again, his #'s were worse than Geno's across the board. I don't want him taking minutes away from Ravet's development.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I am literally going to copy and paste what I wrote in the “who is our other starting guard” thread on the main board:

I sure hope not. He is one of the most underwhelming, under performing five star recruits ever. In his last game in the PAC 12 tournament he scored a grand total of two points versus Washington.He was recruited over at Duke and under performed at USC. I’d rather have Ravet.
    He only jumped up that high when he said he was going to duke. The guy is terrible.

Bench depth, fine. Starter, heck no. Again, his #'s were worse than Geno's across the board. I don't want him taking minutes away from Ravet's development.
    I would just as soon have Ayeyi { or however you spell it }playing than this guy.

What walk on are you referring to? Wouldn't Ravet start along Gilder if Nix or anyone else didn't come aboard.
    Please read my full post before you post. I didn’t say “start,” I said “PROBABLY get playing time.”
    I’m not here to argue with anybody, I just think people need to be more reasonable. A few weeks ago when it became apparent that we might lose Norvell, most were very concerned because we had no backcourt depth. Fast forward 2 weeks and we have secured an All SEC type player and perhaps a kid who started almost every game while at Duke and then at USC. Whether they work out or not, I’m not sure what more anyone could hope for as a 1 season bandaid. Also, most on here were hoping for a pg who simply played good D and a solid floor game. The knock on Thornton seems to be his shooting but his D by reputation is supposedly “fantastic” and he had a 2:1 assist to TO ratio with 4+ assts in only 28min a game. That’s pretty good.

Just to clarify, there's no indication anywhere that I know of (other than caldwellzag throwing his name out as a question mark) that Thornton has any interest in GU, or vice-versa. I just saw that he's a grad transfer PG with some potential.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Please read my full post before you post. I didn’t say “start,” I said “PROBABLY get playing time.”
    I’m not here to argue with anybody, I just think people need to be more reasonable. A few weeks ago when it became apparent that we might lose Norvell, most were very concerned because we had no backcourt depth. Fast forward 2 weeks and we have secured an All SEC type player and perhaps a kid who started almost every game while at Duke and then at USC. Whether they work out or not, I’m not sure what more anyone could hope for as a 1 season bandaid. Also, most on here were hoping for a pg who simply played good D and a solid floor game. The knock on Thornton seems to be his shooting but his D by reputation is supposedly “fantastic” and he had a 2:1 assist to TO ratio with 4+ assts in only 28min a game. That’s pretty good.
    You had mentioned a walk on in your previous post that’s why I quoted it and I’m still not sure which walk on you were referring to. Did you mean Jack beach, or Paul Pennington?

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Just to clarify, there's no indication anywhere that I know of (other than caldwellzag throwing his name out as a question mark) that Thornton has any interest in GU, or vice-versa. I just saw that he's a grad transfer PG with some potential.
    Caldwell brought him up on the main board and that’s what got things rolling. I really hope he is far away the last resort option when every other option falls through.
    Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 05-10-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    He only jumped up that high when he said he was going to duke. The guy is terrible.
    Yup. As I mentioned in a previous post if you changed his name to any generic name and he posted those numbers and was in the transfer portal no one would even entertain the idea of him coming to Gonzaga but since he was a flop at Duke people get enamored by the mystique of Duke and want him. You are correct, he is not good.

I've never understood posts like this. Do you need to be on a coaching staff to see that a player is not very good?
    Clearly you’ve never understood posts like this

I'm not a massive fan, but his per 40 have some interesting numbers and USC was a mess the last two years. At this point there are slim pickings on the transfer market. If Brock is our starter next year we are a first weekend and mostly a first round team. He will not be ready as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I'm not a massive fan, but his per 40 have some interesting numbers and USC was a mess the last two years. At this point there are slim pickings on the transfer market. If Brock is our starter next year we are a first weekend and mostly a first round team. He will not be ready as a freshman.
    Smart post, thank you.
    Last edited by Goshzagit; 05-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.

He will be a frosh by class but not by experience come March.... with the talent around him he will do fine...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I would take him quickly. I don’t think he sucks. If you look at where he played which USC is garbage, I’d take him. He’d have to have interest first tho
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I am surprised at all the hate being heaped on Geno. I think some are fixated on how he lit us up last year and were expecting something more along those lines. Frankly after he got past the injury, I looked forward to him coming in for his defense. And I’m glad we had him. Just my opinion.
    +1.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Honest question, because I never quite understood the relevance of it; why do many people cite “per 40” when no one plays 40 minutes a game in college basketball. He averaged 24 minutes per game last season. If he was as good as his “per 40” said that he is he would have played many more minutes. They are theoretical statistics. And what makes you so sure that Brock will not be ready? I’m not saying that he will, but I don’t know either way. I do know that he has more than held his own when he has played against upper level competition. What’s the point of bringing this guy in for year when it will just inhibit Brocks growth? Next season is a rebuilding season anyway. If it’s for bench depth, fine I guess, but as a starter, Why, what’s the point?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I would take him quickly. I don’t think he sucks. If you look at where he played which USC is garbage, I’d take him. He’d have to have interest first tho
    Scrooner posted his numbers on the first page. Across-the-board he is a worse player than Geno. What statistic that he put last season makes you want him “quickly“? And what role would you want him for? Again, if his name was Malik Jones and he put those numbers up at Missouri state, we wouldn’t bat an eye. But he was a former five-star recruit that flopped at Duke and people get excited. I don’t understand the point of bringing him in, he’s just not that good.

Did some research. I’m on board with a great on ball defender and ball handler that takes care of the ball and knows how to get the ball to his teammates in a position to succeed.

I’m sure the majority of fans would also be on board, especially if the staff believes he would be a good fit for us to add backcourt depth and another veteran presence.

I counted 3 total people against the idea. Let’s not confuse a majority of the posts in this thread being negative with the majority of people being so negative about Derryck helping to bridge the gap until 2020.

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Did some research. I’m on board with a great on ball defender and ball handler that takes care of the ball and knows how to get the ball to his teammates in a position to succeed.

I’m sure the majority of fans would also be on board, especially if the staff believes he would be a good fit for us to add backcourt depth and another veteran presence.

I counted 3 total people against the idea. Let’s not confuse a majority of the posts in this thread being negative with the majority of people being so negative about Derryck helping to bridge the gap until 2020.
    +1

Regardless of posters' negative responses about Thornton, we in general know squat about this process and IF the staff likes him than I'm onboard with that decision or any other decision.

IMO Geno, even with his injury, still had a positive impact on last year's team...wasn't what we all expected but I thought his play was not great but fine.

So just to be clear, posting his actual statistics and analyzing his on the court performance is now considered “being negative”? I’m surprise you didn’t use the term “hater”. Yes, he is a fairly good defender and a fairly good distributor, I can acknowledge that because I am fair and balanced can you acknowledge that he’s bad at everything else? And what do you want him to “bridge the gap” if it takes time away from Ravet? What is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Regardless of posters' negative responses about Thornton, we in general know squat about this process and IF the staff likes him than I'm onboard with that decision or any other decision.

IMO Geno, even with his injury, still had a positive impact on last year's team...wasn't what we all expected but I thought his play was not great but fine.
    Geno was OK but he had a very specific purpose; veteran leadership on a team that was projected to go to the final four, i.e. solid bench death. This season is our first rebuilding season in years, this team does not need a poor man’s Geno Crandall taking minutes away from our young players that need to develop. I just don’t understand the point of bringing him in. As another poster said I would rather develop Ayayi and GFJ.

Honest question, because I never quite understood the relevance of it; why do many people cite “per 40” when no one plays 40 minutes a game in college basketball.
    It is simply so you can compare two players to each other over an equal time frame. While few if any play 40 per game, it's also not likely two players you want to compare will average the same minutes. You could pick any time to average out the stats to but since a game is 40 minutes long, it is just a good, convenient number.

Scrooner posted his numbers on the first page. Across-the-board he is a worse player than Geno. What statistic that he put last season makes you want him “quickly“? And what role would you want him for? Again, if his name was Malik Jones and he put those numbers up at Missouri state, we wouldn’t bat an eye. But he was a former five-star recruit that flopped at Duke and people get excited. I don’t understand the point of bringing him in, he’s just not that good.
    Untapped potential is because of bad coaching. Someone hasn’t gotten the bestnout of him yet. Give it a crack with the best coach in the country.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I have to ask myself, with his pedigree and unfulfilled expectations, if Gonzaga has offered, why would he not have snapped it up? A playing position on a perennial top 20 team, with an almost guaranteed trip to the NCAA's?

If the Zags haven't offered, it must be because they expect someone else to take that open schollie. Either a better grad transfer or a freshman.

We can debate all we want, but I do believe that we know only 5% of what the details are.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Jeremy Roach, #2 PG in the country and projected 1st round NBA pick had lackluster stats with the U17 team. I'd really have to see him, or Thornton play, but I'm on board if the staff likes Thornton.