Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way OT: Anyone have any idea what this Gonzaga storage chest might be from...??

Question Way OT: Anyone have any idea what this Gonzaga storage chest might be from...??

So....this is BIZARRE, and SUPER cool. A friend of mine just tagged me in a picture of this storage chest that they found. This is at a resale shop LESS THAN ONE MILE FROM MY HOUSE (in a small town in MISSOURI!!!!). How weird and random is that?? I wonder how the heck this thing ended up here in Missouri, but I'm even more curious as to what the story behind the actual chest is?? Part of me is thinking it might not actually have anything to do with Gonzaga, but that a former grad may have just gotten 'artsy' and stenciled the words onto a random chest.

Thoughts?? Anyone?

And yes, I will be buying this as soon as I get by the store this weekend! How can I not?

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Not if I get there first haha. JK. Go get it. I have nowhere to put it lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Not if I get there first haha. JK. Go get it. I have nowhere to put it lol

I do have to say that the font looks like the one they used back in the day when I was there. Might be somewhat legit.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

ROTC?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    ROTC?
    exactly what I was gonna say.

I'm pretty sure that's where Francis keeps his oats

Plainly a military footlocker. These were commonly used at least into the 1970s and could be found in any Army barracks for basic trainees - everyone had a footlocker and a vertical clothes locker. They could be found in other military settings as well. Many people stole/bought used ones to store stuff in their backroom or attic because they are fairly airtight and sturdy. Hard to say how the marking got on there, but my WAG is that someone with a connection to GU (alum, faculty?) put a sticker on it to show their Zag pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Plainly a military footlocker. These were commonly used at least into the 1970s and could be found in any Army barracks for basic trainees - everyone had a footlocker and a vertical clothes locker. They could be found in other military settings as well. Many people stole/bought used ones to store stuff in their backroom or attic because they are fairly airtight and sturdy. Hard to say how the marking got on there, but my WAG is that someone with a connection to GU (alum, faculty?) put a sticker on it to show their Zag pride.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

And Flyzag-

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to go look at the trunk in the morning. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be more info, or perhaps a name on the inside?

I might fantasize that it was the travel chest for the 1950 NCAA Champions GU Boxing Team and toted the gloves of the great Carl Maxey.

I'll bet you folding money it's just an old ROTC locker from the 70's/80s. Not sure how it would fit in a GU man cave, but i'll leave that up to you!
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I'd love to hear from TexasZagFan as he was in GU's ROTC program...

I have my fathers from WWII and it is nearly air-tight...

Wow, how cool...

And yes! I'd love to hear from TZF on it then too!

Sorry guys, don't have much to add here. I never saw a foot locker like that during my days at GU.

O/T, but we had an indoor range on the 4th floor of the Ad Building, where we practiced our .22 target shooting. Nobody ever freaked out when we walked the stairs carrying our rifles with us. I expect the reaction would be different today.

I also recall one of my fellow cadets firing a pistol with blanks in public speaking class. He was using it as a prop. His discipline consisted of a stern talking to.

Hard to believe I'm coming up on the 43rd anniversary of my graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Sorry guys, don't have much to add here. I never saw a foot locker like that during my days at GU.

O/T, but we had an indoor range on the 4th floor of the Ad Building, where we practiced our .22 target shooting. Nobody ever freaked out when we walked the stairs carrying our rifles with us. I expect the reaction would be different today.

I also recall one of my fellow cadets firing a pistol with blanks in public speaking class. He was using it as a prop. His discipline consisted of a stern talking to.

Wow. Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

We were still using that rifle range during the 1990s. Nobody cared.

I don’t think that is a military foot locker. I never saw one that elaborate. I think it’s an old travel trunk of some kind.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

If you find the bones of Bigs McGee in there I know nothing! ��

Quote Originally Posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
    If you find the bones of Bigs McGee in there I know nothing! ��
    I’ll wager one of Adrian Buoncristiani’s clipboards is in there...in a hundred pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's where Francis keeps his oats

We didn't want the guy anyway.

He was nearly expelled. Probably should have been.

Inspector Clouseau says that green paint was added later, probably to hide banged up edges. The paint drips and over spray on the lettering are telltale. It was all black originally.

Any Grad transfers to Missouri in about 1930?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Update- I bought it today!! It’s really cool. I got a LITTLE more info on it. The owner said he bought it from a local guy, and from what he understood, the guy either WENT to Gonzaga or had some significant connection to GU. He said he would guess the guy is about 70 years old and his name is Steve Brown. The owner said Steve is in the shop often. I left my cell # and asked if he’d pass it along to Steve (not only because I’d like more info on the trunk, but I need all the GU-connection peeps I can get here in Missouri!!).

I’ll keep you all posted if you’re interested.

Congrats woohoo!

Was Geraldo buried inside?
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Cool!!!!