Way OT: Anyone have any idea what this Gonzaga storage chest might be from...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrizZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Outraged View Post
    Yes in the 80's shooting was an NCAA sport it helped fulfill the minimum number of sports to fulfill NCAA requirenents. Fitz gave us a $500.00 budget.
    Indeed it was. I was offered a full ride four year scholarship to shoot for University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1971. The sport was a big deal back in the day.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• mgadfly
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Isn’t it still an NCAA sport? I thought it was but I am getting old and maybe missed them shutting it down.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
        Indeed it was. I was offered a full ride four year scholarship to shoot for University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1971. The sport was a big deal back in the day.
        Eastern Washington was by far the best team in our area, they had at least one sharpshooter that would compete in the Olympics, Wanda Jewell.

Although the program was under the wing of the ROTC department, two of my teammates were "civilians"...both were excellent marksmen.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
          Administrator
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Outraged View Post
          Yes in the 80's shooting was an NCAA sport it helped fulfill the minimum number of sports to fulfill NCAA requirenents. Fitz gave us a $500.00 budget.
          Were the competitors asked to purchase your own uniforms and ammo?
          “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Birddog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

There was a Stephen Brown from Trenton Ill class of 69 (my class). I don't recall him, he probably hung out in the library not in the Bubble Inn like me. Trenton Ill appears to be about the same distance east of STL as Washington Mo is west.

edit:
            A little more digging shows that Mr Brown was a Biology major and that somewhat confirms my suspicion that he wasn't in the Bubble Inn that much. Woohoo, If you run into him, ask him what he thought about Mrs Stanton, my bet is he'll say she was outstanding. He might have known ElVoce too.
            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
            All mimsy were the borogoves,
            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
              Were the competitors asked to purchase your own uniforms and ammo?
              Good question...I think ROTC covered our ammo costs, and we used the equipment they had on hand...it was all aged. A couple of my teammates, both serious shooters, had their own custom fitted rifles, Anschutz IIRC.

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                There was a Stephen Brown from Trenton Ill class of 69 (my class). I don't recall him, he probably hung out in the library not in the Bubble Inn like me. Trenton Ill appears to be about the same distance east of STL as Washington Mo is west.

edit:
                A little more digging shows that Mr Brown was a Biology major and that somewhat confirms my suspicion that he wasn't in the Bubble Inn that much. Woohoo, If you run into him, ask him what he thought about Mrs Stanton, my bet is he'll say she was outstanding. He might have known ElVoce too.
                This is even more fantastic. Gotta love the community.
                I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Working...
                X