Thread: Boston Beer Company merging with Dogfishhead

Default Boston Beer Company merging with Dogfishhead

300 Million dollar deal... Sam C from Dogfish will still be involved with the company along with Jim K from BBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/bost...300m-deal.html

Wondering if this is where the industry is headed... bigger craft companies absorbing each other to scale up and fight the big boys.

I do have to say, I have always had issues with BBC being considered a craft beer company... but the craft beer industry kowtows to them to make sure they always keep the craft label.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    300 Million dollar deal... Sam C from Dogfish will still be involved with the company along with Jim K from BBC.

Wondering if this is where the industry is headed... bigger craft companies absorbing each other to scale up and fight the big boys.

I do have to say, I have always had issues with BBC being considered a craft beer company... but the craft beer industry kowtows to them to make sure they always keep the craft label.
    It’s the way of the world? Is this the business version of survive and advance?

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

I think there will continue to be a market for brewers that do what BBC does. They offer better beer than the Miller/Budweiser products. They also offer national distribution at a price point below most smaller craft brewers. Not everyone is willing to pay $16 or more for a four-pack, which is what a lot of my area’s small brewers now charge. I’ve also been to parts of the country where local breweries still haven’t made headway. There were times when Sam Adams was the best beer available.

They’re like the Chipotle of brewers. They’re not as big as Taco Bell and they’re not as good as a great local Mexican restaurant or taco truck, but they offer something predictable and available at a modest cost.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I think there will continue to be a market for brewers that do what BBC does. They offer better beer than the Miller/Budweiser products. They also offer national distribution at a price point below most smaller craft brewers. Not everyone is willing to pay $16 or more for a four-pack, which is what a lot of my area’s small brewers now charge. I’ve also been to parts of the country where local breweries still haven’t made headway. There were times when Sam Adams was the best beer available.

They’re like the Chipotle of brewers. They’re not as big as Taco Bell and they’re not as good as a great local Mexican restaurant or taco truck, but they offer something predictable and available at a modest cost.
    Well put. It isn't that uncommon if I'm out travelling, and all they've got on tap is Bud, Miller, and Sam Adams. Easy choice for Sam Adams. Not amazing, but reliable. And the way the big companies are going, they're basically becoming cartels, even to the point of enforcing draconian restrictions on distribution of beer to restaurants and stores.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Hey Long Island.

Can you describe the process of placing a craft beer with a small bottle shop? And on the other side, the retailer being able to buy from a craft brewery that has distribution established because of the quality of their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Hey Long Island.

Can you describe the process of placing a craft beer with a small bottle shop? And on the other side, the retailer being able to buy from a craft brewery that has distribution established because of the quality of their product.
    Tell you what... I will let you know when I get there.

We're just getting started up. Right now it is about just pushing the suds. Trying to hit whatever fundraisers and beer festivals (the ones that are more loosey-goosey with things like TTB and insurance) we can.

Bottling and canning is fairly straightforward if you have the right equipment. But getting it into the bottle shops (we have beer distributors out here) is all about taking your product in and hawking your goods. But can't even touch that side of the business unless you have a TTB license.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

To follow-up on my previous post.

To sell through an bar/taproom type establishment or grocery store in bottles requires contact with TTB for labeling purposes. That takes time... last I heard it was back down to 1.5 to 2 weeks after the shutdown backlog.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

I concur. But Sam Koch is in the fight. He knows what it means to grow in this industry. They support the craft beer community. Chipotle is being a touch harsh IMHO...

Dogfish Heast is a great brewery. Caligone's Brewing up a Business is a must read if you have dreams of that. Think they help fill a notch that BBC doesn't fill, or at lest fills well. They do some sours and their IPAs are things BBC wish they could do... Haven't really had a memorable Sam Adams IPA style beer. Honestly they were all rather pedestrian. Meanwhile the 60/90 IPAs are solid IPAs and 120 minute costs you some cha-ching and it is WORTH it. Need to share that $18 12 oz bottle as it is usually up near 15%... usually has some belgian overtones....

Think it is a win-win.