Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU"s Highest Ranked Players Ever

Default GU"s Highest Ranked Players Ever

When we think about our current commits and recruits, the temptation is to use that ranking to try to predict how well they will do at GU and beyond. But is that always the best predictor of success? Here is a test for the believers: According to 247 Sports, the #1 and #2 highest ranked players to come thru GU have been Collins and Daye. So far, not a bad predictor of success. But who was our 3rd highest ranked player to come thru GU? No peeking at the answer until you guess.

Who guessed Davis? As in Theo Davis? https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...tball/Commits/

We all can enjoy the upturn in GU's recruiting of highly ranked players, but we need to remember that rankings are not the only predictor of success. Meanwhile, enjoy scanning the list to see how our welps' rankings compare with their predecessors.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

So these projections are not infallible?

You never know how kids will turn out. I looked the other day to see how highly David Jenkins was rated coming out of high school since he was from Tacoma. On 247 composite the top three players in WA that year were Sam Cunliffe, JaQuori McLaughlin, and Keith Smith, rated 38, 95, and 104 respectively. David Jenkins was 6th in WA and 278 nationally. Malachin Flynn was 8th in WA and 293 nationally. Those two have been much better in college than expected, while the others, especially Cunliffe have been underwhelming.

Interesting to note that in the 247sports.com link that was provided in the OP, Sabonis is not on the list of top 20 GU recruits??? What? Is that because he had no official ranking coming from overseas? Can't imagine that Sabonis is not on that list.

You have to also remember that recruiting services back in 2006 were not the same as they are now. There are so many more resources that we have to evaluate recruits. That does not mean they always get it right, just means more often that not it is a good predictor of success in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Interesting to note that in the 247sports.com link that was provided in the OP, Sabonis is not on the list of top 20 GU recruits??? What? Is that because he had no official ranking coming from overseas? Can't imagine that Sabonis is not on that list.
    The Bonus was beyond mere lists.....

If you go by individual sites, these are the only Zags rated as 5 star prospects in the final rankings:

1. Austin Daye (Rivals #25)
    2. Domantas Sabonis (247Sports #26)
    3. Zach Collins (247Sports #20 & Rivals #21)
    4. Oumar Ballo (Rivals)

Theo was a 3 star recruit as far as I recall. Don’t know why it shows a 4 next to his profile.

Significant correlation between impact and rating (exclusive of players unrated because they played overseas).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Theo was a 3 star recruit as far as I recall. Don’t know why it shows a 4 next to his profile.

Significant correlation between impact and rating (exclusive of players unrated because they played overseas).
    One of the services had him pretty high at one point, I can't remember which. Andy Poling was also very highly ranked for a good time, as was Sean Mallon. There's definitely correlation, but it's no guarantee.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Believe at the time of commit, Andy Poling was the highest. Obviously, his rankings dropped with his illness, but at the time, especially with the typical recruits Gonzaga was getting during that stretch, it was a huge get and subsequent disappointment. Austin Daye is our highest final ranking player to come to us straight out of HS.

Imagine Micah Downs was pretty high coming out of HS (to Kansas).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Believe at the time of commit, Andy Poling was the highest. Obviously, his rankings dropped with his illness, but at the time, especially with the typical recruits Gonzaga was getting during that stretch, it was a huge get and subsequent disappointment. Austin Daye is our highest final ranking player to come to us straight out of HS.

Yeah he was a burger boy I believe
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post

I was taking a summer class at GU when Poling committed, and I saw the news right before class. I came in and told several people, who just looked at me, wondering how I'd know or why I'd care.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

The crazy thing is, if Nix does re-classify for 2019 and commit to us and then Suggs commits we will have our two highest ranked recruits ever in back to back years, actually back to back commits.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    If you go by individual sites, these are the only Zags rated as 5 star prospects in the final rankings:

1. Austin Daye (Rivals #25)
    2. Domantas Sabonis (247Sports #26)
    3. Zach Collins (247Sports #20 & Rivals #21)
    4. Oumar Ballo (Rivals)
    rivals had timme as a 5 star until the most recent update...a few guys reclassifying may have affected him.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    rivals had timme as a 5 star until the most recent update...a few guys reclassifying may have affected him.
    Timme actually dropped in several recruiting services due to people reclassifying and others exploding. I would not worry about that, as Timme does not play a ton on the national scene, but when he does he dominates.

What excites me is that Watson should arguably be a 5*(as McDaniels) and Arlauskas could be another over seas Sabonis type rated player. Our 2019 recruiting class was 5th-7th, but I am curious if adding Gilder changes that?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    What excites me is that Watson should arguably be a 5*(as McDaniels) and Arlauskas could be another over seas Sabonis type rated player. Our 2019 recruiting class was 5th-7th, but I am curious if adding Gilder changes that?
    It will not change the rating, as those ratings are done off incoming freshman recruits, but he helps us overall.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Timme actually dropped in several recruiting services due to people reclassifying and others exploding. I would not worry about that, as Timme does not play a ton on the national scene, but when he does he dominates.
    not worried in the least about timme...but still sucks for a guy to lose a star through no fault of his own.

Wasn't Theo Davis part the other one who was arrested with Heytvelt? I never did hear whether or not it was that or something else as the reason why he left the team. Honestly, I can't remember if he ever played a minute for the Zags? Of course, lately I have a hard time remembering last week

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Wasn't Theo Davis part the other one who was arrested with Heytvelt? I never did hear whether or not it was that or something else as the reason why he left the team. Honestly, I can't remember if he ever played a minute for the Zags? Of course, lately I have a hard time remembering last week
    Yea that was Theo. Think he was kicked off the team, Heytvelt returned the next season
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...-williams-goss

I think NWG was top ten in ESPN ratings until pretty late. 40th or so in Rivals before finishing around 30th. I’d consider NWG, Downs, and Collins as our five star guys. And maybe Daye.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post

I think NWG was top ten in ESPN ratings until pretty late. 40th or so in Rivals before finishing around 30th. I’d consider NWG, Downs, and Collins as our five star guys. And maybe Daye.
    rivals actually has ballo as a 5 star...

Sabonis as well. Other than that yes I agree
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

5-stars recruits Gonzaga has landed straight out of high school (final rankings only):

Austin Daye (Rivals & ESPN)
    Domantas Sabonis (247Sports)
    Zach Collins (247Sports & Rivals)
    Oumar Ballo (Rivals)

Transfers who were 5-stars in the final rankings:

Micah Downs
    Kyle Wiltjer
    Nigel Williams-Goss

NWG and Downs were not our recruits, they were transfers.